Author Topic: What causes this???  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Appstro

What causes this???
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
I have tried adjusting my offset, angle and pressure of sqeegee, thinning the ink ever so much and I am using a new screen...

Note: is mostly in the center of the screen. The outside images and letters seem to be OK. This is hit, flash hit.

Thanks for your advice as always! ;D

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Re: What causes this???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »
Is your flood bar digging in too deep? Sometimes that can happen and push ink through the stencil just like that. Or if you have your squeegee chopping just outside of your pallet, causing your screen to slightly pull. Just a couple things to check on. Sometimes if you have an un-level pallet or two, and you stroke more than once in the up position, the flood bar can dig in too deep pressing into the shirt and the pallet and cause this to happen too.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Appstro

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Its a manual silver press. Maybe the pallet is warped...? I will take a look.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
^The squeegee chop thing has caught me before.  Glad to have a front and rear carriage stop.  ;)

I'd ask what your screen tension is, if it's only bad in the middle. 
Could certainly be a bowed platen too--not enough OC has done this to me, but it's always the whole image, and usually on fleece...

Offline Appstro

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »
You know what? I think it is squeegee chop!  I was pushing the squeegee past the end of the pallet. I could feel it drop off the end. Was that it then??? The image placement on the screen was centered but I guess it was close to the end of the pallet.

I am having a challenging time trying to figure out what the correct placement should be on my screens. They are either too high or too low. :(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:31:44 AM by Appstro »

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
I gottchya, manual printing. ok, well almost same issues can occur, if you flood too hard, you may be pushing ink through the mesh and opposite direction of your print direction, so when you actually push/pull your squeegee, how ever you print, it can do that. Or if you flood your screen hard with the screen down already on the shirt, I've had that happen before, or even bringing your squeegee beyond your pallet, doing the same, "stretching" of the mesh/image can develop that. If you are thinning your ink, and still using a low mesh count, you may just be pushing your ink through too hard on your flood. Keep lots of test shirts around to find your happy medium before going into production. That's what we do. I'd rather everything dialed in and sacrifice that little bit of time, rather than wrecking good product.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
You know what? I thin it is squeegee chop. I was pushing the squeegee past the end of the pallet. I could feel it drop off the end. Was that it then??? The image placement on the screen was centered but I guess it was close to the end of the pallet.

I am having a challenging time trying to figure out what the correct placement should be on my screens. They are either too high or too low. :(

That can totally cause it, Adjust your pallets out, draw a line where you want your shirt to stop, giving yourself some play so that you can rock them puppies out and not worry about falling off the pallet. Think of it, if you fall off the pallet, you will stretch that mesh down, which will pull on your image, pulling it across the wet imprint you just did, and ghosting it out like that. It's totally a possibility.

Offline starchild

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
The stencil holds the shape.. What side of the coater are you using to coat with? If the knuckles of the mesh is pertruding then it will cause the ink to get pass the stencil edges.. The print side of the stencil needs to create a gasket with the shirt and that means a layer only just thick enough to go pass the knuckles of the mesh and create a smooth even surface, not too thick otherwise you will be giving your ink unnecessary work to do. In your case a high solids photopolymer emulsion is recommended or even better ulano ez film 30 or 50 microns, that way your only concern is getting the exposure right. The film will cost you about 1.60 per screen or 3cents a shirt for a 1color, 50 shirt run..

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Flash Ink

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »
How tight is your screen? Ill bet its a little loose. Plus Ill bet that you are pushing down too hard on your pallet, which is causing deflection of your pallet. Lower your off contact a little, push a little slower and dont try to drive the ink into the garment but try to place it on top of the garment surface. Then when the job is done look at your screen to see how tight it is.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
The stencil holds the shape.. What side of the coater are you using to coat with? If the knuckles of the mesh is pertruding then it will cause the ink to get pass the stencil edges.. The print side of the stencil needs to create a gasket with the shirt and that means a layer only just thick enough to go pass the knuckles of the mesh and create a smooth even surface, not too thick otherwise you will be giving your ink unnecessary work to do. In your case a high solids photopolymer emulsion is recommended or even better ulano ez film 30 or 50 microns, that way your only concern is getting the exposure right. The film will cost you about 1.60 per screen or 3cents a shirt for a 1color, 50 shirt run..
Sent using Tapatalk

If the problem is just in the middle, how did he make just the center of the stencil too thin?  ;)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
I used to run into this as well.  It is from hard flooding the stencil and then printing with too much pressure and at too low of an angle and too slow.  I fixed it by soft flooding ALWAYS which allows me to keep using lots of pressure and i can still do a push stroke with the lower angle.  I also upped my speed.

The middle is doing this because the pressure in the middle of the squeegee is great than on the edges, so you are flooding more and printing more in the middle.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »
Sounds like the screen might be around 10 newtons and the blade interference is increasing the tension on the outsides giving a decent opportunity for the mesh to get up and out of the way but the middle of the screen is sitting in the ink deposit after the squeegee passes.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
After looking at the pic instead of just reading, the tension is probably the problem and the mesh is shifting in the print stroke direction.  Classic sign of low tension screens.  The blade moves the mesh down to the shirt then the print stroke happens and the mesh shifts along with the squeegee stroke making the edge definition in the north/south direction really bad.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
Easy fix is the soft flood.  I have some statics from like 4 years ago that have horrid tension and prevent this with my flood.  Even if there is shift, there isnt ink filling the well of the stencil.

Offline starchild

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
Sent using Tapatalk

If the problem is just in the middle, how did he make just the center of the stencil too thin?  ;)

Well in his case, he's buying pre stretched screens and do not have a meter to check it's tension, then he goes about coating the screen as usual using the maximum width coater that screen can accommodate (I'm betting on him only having one width coater).. And this is where his problem begins.. We know (he doesn't) that tension increases rapidly nearest the frame's edge so the emulsion will be applied thicker at the outside than in the middle of the mesh. At wash out what little solids remaining in those thin areas takes a beating..

If he still prefers to use the all of the above scenario in his operation then he can go with a smaller coater which will mean smaller images (not happening), higher solids emulsion or cap film which I think will give a higher percentage of success in his case..

If it were image stretch alone then how are both sides of the letters stroke, being blurred and better ink coverage away from the blurred areas? Also he played with different on press config and nothing changed it, that's because the problem is in the stencil.

Sent using Tapatalk