Author Topic: Halftones  (Read 1957 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Halftones
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »
What color screen mesh would you say burns the best halftones?  for years I only used white mesh, due to I printed tons of spot color and every now and then a few halftone jobs in the range of 35 to 37 Lpi which are not hard to burn on any mesh.  Now that I do a lot of sim and process etc, I really like using yellow mesh, I think I cheaped my self into a bunch of 230 white mesh screens that I don't use much anymore.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Halftones
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »
red or orange.....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
Hey Darryl, white works, but it's a lot harder to control as it tends to overexpose more easily. The colored meshes filter that problem out, the darker the mesh, the more so. We use yellow and orange here...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
we use white for 110's and I am trying to buy only yellow for 155's.  230 and up have always been yellow.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »
The colored mesh minimizes light refraction which is often confused with overexposure

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
red or orange.....
Used orange before for low mesh cts 86 but have never used red, don't even think I've seen any red mesh..... I'm trying to get away from white mesh on my high mesh cts it's a monster to hold fine lines and halftones unless your very dialed in which I'm not.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
The colored mesh minimizes light refraction which is often confused with overexposure

Tony nailed it.

White mesh acts like fiber-optics. It lets the light travel along, under the image edge causing poor edge definition.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »

Tony nailed it.

White mesh acts like fiber-optics. It lets the light travel along, under the image edge causing poor edge definition.

Agreed, but I still call it over-exposure if it's hardening emulsion where it shouldn't; semantics I guess. That's pretty much the same way I've always explained to new guys too.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
Isn't there some fancy term for light running along the threads?  Halation?

IIRC it's from Saati's old manual on pimping screens.  ;)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
I buy yellow at all mesh counts if possible.  We have a few white mesh screens like our 120/54's and a few 110's but about 95% of our screen inventory is yellow mesh.  No orange or red but I do know it works better than yellow for details.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.