Author Topic: Advice on Film Output Printer  (Read 17275 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Advice on Film Output Printer
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »

It throws a load error because it thinks there's no "paper" in it.  You could use a piece of masking tape on there if you wanted to use non hp film but that's another added step.

Is that the center "resume" light flashing?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:47 AM »

The center button is the one that flashes when it misses the paper/film intake.  I'd have to double check to see if it also flashes and ejects if there's no sensor strip detected.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »
I've been searching for the right price for the 1400 this morning and I think that is the direction we are going to go. 

We also are looking at a cheap backup printer for sublimation and I think the workforce 1100 is going to be the winner in that category.  We can pick one up for a little over $130 and the refillable cartridges for 20.  We bought 4 liters of sublimation ink from China a few weeks ago and I can't wait to see if it works.  Our 4800 has been down since the ink came in so we haven't checked to see if they work.  We paid $300 for the sub inks and had we bought that much ink from Sawgrass, Johnson Plastics or another sub supplier in 220ml cartridge form, it would have cost us $5500!  Assuming the China sub inks work, that is quite a large amount of savings, $5200 can buy a lot of ink and other supplies.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »

The center button is the one that flashes when it misses the paper/film intake.  I'd have to double check to see if it also flashes and ejects if there's no sensor strip detected.

See, I have no problem feeding regular films with no strip in my 9800, however, I do have a recurring problem of the "missed paper intake resume light" after the last print (or after each single if that's the way I'm printing) It's usually not as simple as pushing that button because I believe that then prints an alignment page (which gets expensive with transfers or film)
I'd like to figure out what and where that sensor is.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
See, I have no problem feeding regular films with no strip in my 9800, however, I do have a recurring problem of the "missed paper intake resume light" after the last print (or after each single if that's the way I'm printing) It's usually not as simple as pushing that button because I believe that then prints an alignment page (which gets expensive with transfers or film)
I'd like to figure out what and where that sensor is.

The sensor is on the print carriage, if you look inside you'll see the blue light come on and check both edges of the film to make sure the correct width paper is loaded.

What film are you using and how opaque is it?  That's really interesting that you can use film without a strip.  My guess would be that it's just opaque enough to trigger the sensor?  I'd be interested to try that out on mine.

I just removed the rollers with spikes on them from the outfeed because they started dragging vertical lines through my prints, which never happened before.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »
Right now, I am settling for the "milky" WP from Fixxons, but I used to use a clear film from Film Source. It did come with a strip, but it seems to me that it also worked without. Too long ago, and this old mind...you know how it is.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Epson 3000 here and worth the money. Although mine is rebuilt by ahhhhh David Parker who was on the first forum not SPOF but the one before that I cannot remember the name. But anyway he was on that one... I know this doesn't help but I do have a phone number, I think mine was around $650 with a year warrenty and I have had it for about 6 years with no problems, I run the roll film and cut pieces to the size ( length ) I need.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has weighed in on this thread.  We've been thinking about this all morning and I believe we are ready to make a purchase.  The 1400 is the winner for film output.  I see that some of you are using the stock epson ink and not the aftermarket stuff we use on our 1800.  So we don't have to use the max black ink for the 1400?  What type of film are you 1400 users using and what type of ink?  We'll be getting the 1400 tomorrow if we order it today, which we will still have to wait for any accessories or other black ink to come in if we need it.  I wish I knew more about this side of the business so I didn't ask stupid questions regarding the ink usage of this printer, but I'm just a production guy.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
We run fixxons 13x19 sheets through the 1400 and I have some MIS (inksupply) brand ink that is a drop-in replacement for Claira (no flushing needed) in a refillable cart for the black but the Epson black made better films.  The MIS Claira knock off is too watery it seems and makes these stupid halos around the image.  For the little we use I would've just stuck with the stock ink.  This is already a dye-based printer.  And at least if it breaks you don't have to worry about them bitching out on the warranty or replacement plan b/c you used non-oem ink. 

If you wanted to run refillable black I'd check out filmdirect's ink.  We run it, single black, on the 4800 and it's great stuff. 

Accurip folks also make a sheet feeder for the 1400 I think so you can load up a few sheets and walk away, not sure what it costs though, probably more than the printer. 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »
You flush the printer anyway, they have no idea if you are using Epson ink or not.  You can always flush it, load it with epson ink and flush it again to make sure any residue is epson ink.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
Fixxon WP film, inksupply D2--PT-K is the part number, it's pretty cheap for a pint. and ebay for those refill carts.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
You flush the printer anyway, they have no idea if you are using Epson ink or not.  You can always flush it, load it with epson ink and flush it again to make sure any residue is epson ink.

Ahh, that's kinda what I was hoping.  Just go buy an epson black cart if that happens. 

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I got my black carts and ink from film direct as well. If you choose to run the Epson carts you will suck down that cartridge in less than ten sheets I would imagine. Refillable is the only way to go.

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 09:25:06 PM »
im using the 9800  and i get my film from Victory Factory and its very cheap and it works great.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
The new 4900 has a $1000 rebate this month.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/738107-REG/Epson_SP4900HDR_Stylus_Pro_4900_Inkjet.html

I'm considering it. I have a 9600 and a 3000. The 9600 is killer but big. I am thinking of a new 4900 with the 9600 as backup or for big stuff. I know that Accurip supports the newer Epsons.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)