Author Topic: Foil Question  (Read 1242 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Foil Question
« on: May 27, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »
We've been doing a ton of foiling lately, and I've been having some issues, and was wondering if anyone could clear them up for me

We've been using the ICC Foil Adhesive, through an 86 and a 102 mesh. They've been going in our dryer at 335 degrees, belt set to 26 usually (we have a sprint international gas dryer).

We have been using the Amagic/K Laser Foil, and a sthals auto release heat press

So the main issue we are having is the foil is always releasing from the garment speckel-y, meaning we can never get full coverage.

These are always big blocky images, and it always looks like little specs do not release from the foil.

We are doing 320 degrees on the stalhs, and 18 seconds, with a cold peel.

Any tips on what we can do?

also do you all use this foil adhesive? do you put any pigments in it?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Get Shirts

Re: Foil Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
Pressure?  Have you adjusted that at all?  We have solved a lot of our foil issues by increasing the pressure.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
Pressure?  Have you adjusted that at all?  We have solved a lot of our foil issues by increasing the pressure.

sorry should have noted, pressure is at like 8 or 9, so pretty high!
Night Owls

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
the last batch i did, i was pressing the foil, then rubbing it really hard with an old chalkboard eraser (old tshirt would would fine). then i would hit it again for about 8 seconds. this seemed to help. i was having the same problem. it was a big chunk of foil.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »
Best to p/f/p for a good "pull" and yes you can add pigment to adhesive to match foil color

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
Best to p/f/p for a good "pull" and yes you can add pigment to adhesive to match foil color

we are doing a double hit with a smiling jack through a low mesh on the auto, so i think it should be laying a ton of ink down!
Night Owls

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
No doubt but a p/f/p will deliver a smoother surface for the foil to adhere to

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
We use the ICC foil adhesive.

P/F/P through a 110 standard mesh.  Regular coating technique.  70 duro squeegee.  Do not print to thick or you will see the ink spread out when heat pressing.  Makes for a nasty looking design.  Cure through our 12' Sprint 2000 HO at 330 and 12 seconds.  We cure as normal.  For waterbase inks with ICC foil adhesive we run at 340 and 6 speed.

Hotronix (?) heat press.  Pressure at 7-8.  350 degrees.  We press for 15 seconds, then lift and press again for 10 seconds.  I know - a lot of work.  BUT - we get an almost perfect peel out of it.  We rarely see any voids.  So, we keep doing it.  Stahls foil.  Rip foil off fast.

We will tint the adhesive with Rutland C3 pigments when needed for colored foil.

We have not had the best of luck with amagic or the stuff that ryonet has been selling.   Always had good luck with Crown, but stahls is closer.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline kirkage

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »
have you tried flashing the underbase and then rolling with the Teflon, then putting the adhesive on top? Smoother surface smoother foil.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
Second the "Smooth" service