Author Topic: Virus water based ink  (Read 4604 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Virus water based ink
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »
Yes the Hydra sounds like an HSA.  Def takes some getting used to, properties are unlike any other ink though it shares a few traits from all it seems.

We just invested heavily in Rutland's WB-99 series as the pigs drop into an HSA base...too bad the colors mixed out of the base + pigs are not opaque (those with white are fine but something like 185c...forget about it) and it sounds like an RFU system is needed, defeating the whole purpose of our migration to the system.  I really don't want to switch things up in here again as the cost and ag is significant, not to mention the confusion with staff but I would big time like to have a single pigment set for WB, DC and HSA.  Seems to be a holy grail I can't find. 

Would love to hear if this Virus system gets it done on that subject- single pigment set for loading into all inks, opaque coverage of HSA over a base. 

I thought some had tested their UB mix and found it kinda inferior?  Maybe I'm mixing that up but I thought there were pics and it looked so-so from what I remember seeing.  Could just be that specific product I suppose.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »
The UB everyone tried was a different product, not Virus. I have it here on my desk still waiting till someone
comes up with a viable use for it.

I saw a sample of an overprinted base with the Hydra series. Really, really nice. Rep said that when testing with
the dudes from Italy they left the job setup over night.

I've got a product list of what they've got in stock. The number of additives and special effect is mind boggling.

They have a base for printing on poly as well. Works with same pigs.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
Zoo the stuff that you were thinking of was something like Simplestix or something close to that. They actually have come out with a base, bright base and a white now. Apparently they are going to also have RFU's and a pigment system, but the guy swears you have to only use his pigments with his base. No word on a HSA from my understanding.

I have talked with a few people that print with Virus stuff in Europe and they all kind of echo the same thing, actually kind of what Danny said... Special effects, or special applications they are killer, but expensive to use as a everyday ink, very nice, but expensive. And that is pricing with shipping from Italy to Portugal, Spain or Germany. My guess that Italy to the states may add a penny or two....

IMO the long shelf life activated discharge losses some appeal once you can accurately judge how much ink to mix for a job(something we still struggle with). Not that it wouldn't be cool, but I just think it is one of those paying for convenience situations.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com