Author Topic: [WANTED] Used Auto - Bottom of the Barrel  (Read 48116 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: [WANTED] Used Auto - Bottom of the Barrel
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
I noticed that but wasn't sure if that was a problem.  With the cost of a tech and travel or crating from Atlanta, this one is looking like a no go for me.

I really do just want something for like 6 months that will hammer out super simple work while I save up for an ideal first auto.  I'm also thinking of moving into a bigger and newer space before the end of the year, so the all electric Americans are more appealing simply because of the infrastructure improvements necessary with other machines.  I'd rather not spend money on that at two spaces instead of one. 

I'll keep hunting!

Again, I truly appreciate all the help and advice in this thread.  Proof yet again of how invaluable this community is.

One thing to consider about the american is how you are going to deal with it when you get a nicer auto. I suppose at the price that most of them go for, they are nearly disposable, but still I am not looking forward to the day I need to get rid of it. Is there really a market for used multiprinters?

There are folks with limited funds that consider any automatic a step up. Hell, we even have a guy on this forum looking,who pretty much said just that! LOL!

Otherwise, you're looking at a half dozen or so small flat stock presses as an alternative.

That's what got me into this mess lol. But, yeah it's true that mimosa is possibly looking for one, I just don't see them move like other presses.

For that matter, I know of at least one board buddy here who took advantage of a "free to good home" old Precision oval. Probably eventually offered the same deal to the next potential owner. To most here, a large anchor. In the right hands, a temporary money maker.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
I noticed that but wasn't sure if that was a problem.  With the cost of a tech and travel or crating from Atlanta, this one is looking like a no go for me.

I really do just want something for like 6 months that will hammer out super simple work while I save up for an ideal first auto.  I'm also thinking of moving into a bigger and newer space before the end of the year, so the all electric Americans are more appealing simply because of the infrastructure improvements necessary with other machines.  I'd rather not spend money on that at two spaces instead of one. 

I'll keep hunting!

Again, I truly appreciate all the help and advice in this thread.  Proof yet again of how invaluable this community is.

i'm almost positive there is an M&R tech in the Austin area, and if not GSG is in dallas and does regular service calls
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Rich!

Do you have any thoughts on a Guantlet that age?  Things to look out for perhaps :D
have a M&R tech check the center shaft bushing.
Rich Hoffman

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
Are you kidding me? 5 grand for a 6 color with flash......... and the guy has been using it on a regular basis..... That would be a no brainer for me. Even if it doesn't hold perfect registration you still have your new Kruzer for those jobs. But the 1 to 3 or 4 color jobs for most schools and such do you can usually adjust your artwork to make it work on an older machine.... if you print 500 dark shirts that require pfp you will LOVE this press. And you can ALLWAYS find a new to the industry printer that will take it off your hands...... Good Luck... now get that truck gassed up and hooked onto that trailer before someone else steals that thing from you!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »
I agree with Rich, get it checked first.  You could be looking an at extra couple grand easy on that thing in repairs.  Or you could spend a little more and get one that is cherry.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
I'm really close to buying a 1995 Javelin 6/8 with one flashback off ebay for around $2500-$3000.  The listing is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-TUF-JAVELIN-AUTOMATIC-SCREEN-PRINTING-PRESS-/151351638403?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1653

It ends in just under 2 hours.

This seems like a great price, but I wanted to get the forum's feedback real quickly before committing.  The seller says the press has been sitting unused for 3-4 years, and that their chiller is broken so they can't turn it on to do a video for me (seems suspicious, but there don't appear to be other auto's in their shop, so maybe?).  Realistically, assuming the issue is it has just been sitting there, what does it take to rebuild/repair one of these?  What is likely to need replacing after this amount of time unused?  I don't mind putting another $2k into it if it needs it, as anything under $5 is still a good deal in my eyes, but I'm worried it may have bigger issues that this guy either doesn't know about or isn't saying.  How would I know?

Any thoughts on it would be great.  Thanks!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
Sounds fishy to me. Running it without the chiller to demo that everything is functional is not going to hurt anything at all.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
FYI - just to shoot a vid, they don't need a chiller. make them run it first...5 minutes isn't going to hurt it.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2014, 10:54:13 AM »
Good to know!

i'll try contacting them again, though it's probably too late and I'm going to skip on this one.  The guy has great feedback, but it's all for small items and from our communications he either is clueless about the press or is trying to offload something that doesnt work I think...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »
Demand a demo of it running, the jav will be fine without a chiller for a five minute video.
"No man is an island"

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »
I messaged the guy.  We'll see if he responds.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
That machine is very easy to work on. I've rebuilt mine over the course of a few years, and although its an old girl, she now runs pretty good for her age and has been my main press throughout that time.  Workhorse also offers great support via phone on all Javelins, and are more than happy to help out anytime. As long as the PLC is good, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting it up and running with the cash you are willing to put into it.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2014, 11:20:01 AM »
How would you know if the PLC is good, and if it isn't what is the replacement cost?  What are the other common parts that would likely need to be immediately replaced etc?

Does anyone know if a machine this age can have heads converted to the chopper system workhorse now offers?  I have heard having that installed on head 1 is a great investment...

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
How would you know if the PLC is good, and if it isn't what is the replacement cost?  What are the other common parts that would likely need to be immediately replaced etc?

Does anyone know if a machine this age can have heads converted to the chopper system workhorse now offers?  I have heard having that installed on head 1 is a great investment...

If it turns on and runs, the PLC is good.  I'm not sure replacements are available, but there's enough parts machines out there that they pop up from time to time.  From what I understand, it's not something that goes bad very often, and at this price is probably worth the risk.  I've had no issues with mine, and my machine is older than this one.  If you got this machine for 3k and it didn't run and the guy decided to screw you over, you could part it out and make your money back.  The flashback alone is worth half the buying price.

I was told by Workhorse recently that these machines can be converted to the chopper system, as well as the quick-release pallet system.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »
if I had the space for it, I'd buy that machine sight unseen.

-J