Author Topic: My first week with the I Image  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
My first week with the I Image
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »
All I can say is wow!  I couldn't be happier.  I'm about 35 screens in and I've only had to bump the Micros on 2 screens but it was my fault.  I didn't make sure that the top of the frame was touching the top stop on the pusher frame.  I've started using a flash light to look at it from the side to make sure the frames touch at the top from now on.  It's been dead on other than those 2 so far though and I'm talking some pretty fine detail butt registered jobs. 

I read so much about dts before deciding to purchase one.  The cost of imaging a screen is averaging .11 per screen but even if the cost of imaging a screen was costing the same as using film I would still be extremely happy because it has made my life so simple.  If I were to base my return on just film and tape, it would take me 20 years to get any kind of return, it's the labor and ease of prepress that gives the return here.  With the variety of things we do at the shop and having little to no help, I need everything that can make things run as smooth as possible.  I'm able to get way more done in much less time with the quality and detail improving at the same time.  I'm in the process of dialing in my new exposure times with CCI WR 14 and I was able to fine tune the exposure to obtain 2% halftones with 55 lpi. 

It took a while to convince my wife that this was the route to go and when she was finally on board with me and I signed the papers, that's when I started second quessing myself.  After using it though, I'm so glad I took the leap.  Not to mention that dealing with M&R is a breeze and the tech that did the install was thorough with explaining everything from how to use it and everything that's involved with maintaining it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:02:09 PM by ShirtShackandMore »
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: My first week with the I Image
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »
That's pretty cool to hear. The more I think about getting one the more I realize, like you were saying, that a big part of the ROI that would be hard to gauge would be time saved setting up. For people using a Tri-Loc system, do you still need the pallet to set up on press?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »
That's pretty cool to hear. The more I think about getting one the more I realize, like you were saying, that a big part of the ROI that would be hard to gauge would be time saved setting up. For people using a Tri-Loc system, do you still need the pallet to set up on press?

You definitely need the pallet.  I ended up having to buy 2 of them, 1 for 25x36 frames and 1 for 23x31 frames.  The pusher frame has the same matching points as the pallet.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
OK, OK, that makes sense. I kept thinking that there were going to be a ton of used pre reg systems for sale. A system like the I image would do away with a MHM or S.Roque pre reg system all together.

Was just kinda curious about that, thanks!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »
cant WAIT to get mine!  Its ready to ship but we are closed next week for vacations so I told them to ship it on the 7th!  So excited.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
Did you have to buy a second holder for the I-Image, in order to handle doing the larger screens?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 09:02:21 AM »
Did you have to buy a second holder for the I-Image, in order to handle doing the larger screens?

I've got both holders and they are simple to change out.  M&R's engineers really put some thought into building this.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »
what is your coating method?  did you have to change anything?  i read somewhere about someone had to adjust their coating method because they werent putting enough emulsion on the mesh for the i-Image ink... 

also, what do you have for an exposure unit? or did you get the i-Image STE version?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »
Doug, I told you that you would love it and see immediate benefit. Zelko, you might be referring to me. I was originally told that I needed to coat a slightly different way, but that was at the beginning when I first got mine and we were trying to nail down and issue. We later found that somehow my unit was originally sent with ink for the ST which is a different print head so the issue was in that. I now coat like I always did, 2 over 1, flawless screens every time. I've said it before and I'll always say it. You just can't know what the improvement and benefit to having a CTS is, until you actually have one in your shop and are using it. Doug called me the first day he was on his own after training and he was already saving a ton of time and going home earlier. I know this to be true because we have had phone conversations where he was wrapping up the day at the same later hours that we push through. Now he will see he can actually take on and schedule more work in a day then he ever did before with a day full of short run multi color set ups. It's pretty awesome, and more than worth the investment. After having ours for almost 2 years now, I can say, take the ROI and toss it out the window. Your ROI calculations on an addition like this are not conventional. Sure they are ROI calcs, but for smaller shops, its about speed, accuracy, and super super super super, " can I say super enough?", CONVENIENCE!!!!! I would highly suggest M&R for your CTS, mainly because being new tech that most buyers have never had before, you need super support and Danny can tell you nightmares of his lack of support from his previous CTS, that's why he got out of it and went to an M&R. Not because he has all the other gear, but because he saw the support that we, and a few others were getting. Not to mention they just release the STE, which for a shop like him is more than needed. Anyways, I'm not trying to post an advertisement here, just how HAPPY I am that we went with the I-Image, the only thing I regret, and now Doug, I'm sure you can back me on this. I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER!!!!

Mike
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:21:59 AM by screenprintguy »
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
cant WAIT to get mine!  Its ready to ship but we are closed next week for vacations so I told them to ship it on the 7th!  So excited.

Hey brother, did I miss a call from you this week?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
The STE seems like a killer machine and not that a conventional CTS wouldn't work for us but the STE would cut our payroll by 30%, increase our productivity by 25-50% even after cutting payroll.  The regular CTS with the regular exposure unit wouldn't give us those types of numbers so I'm VERY intrigued by the STE.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
The STE seems like a killer machine and not that a conventional CTS wouldn't work for us but the STE would cut our payroll by 30%, increase our productivity by 25-50% even after cutting payroll.  The regular CTS with the regular exposure unit wouldn't give us those types of numbers so I'm VERY intrigued by the STE.

Alan, the numbers you and I have discussed definitely shows you would rock more out with an STE. I know you could get it with the model we have, but you are already on that cusp of needing the second auto to have 2 presses running full time, the STE would be the right move for you for sure!!! I could only imagine the growth you guys would do literally shooting out finished screens. I know your pre-reg jig is tight and working flawless, but now eliminate that, think of just popping a screen in a holder, and in a minute it comes out imaged and exposed perfect for press. You'd be like a little kid in a candy store pushing those sales guys to start stacking up order and take those figures you've helped increase to a whole new level!! Not to mention, with the way you have dialed in your reclaim and coating, I bet you would be the guy who could literally use 4 pieces of tape only for your block out. Inside tape only, ready to rock, that saves more time and money as well. I'm not there with the taping yet, our recent screen guy isn't as good as the last one. He does good, but not flawless, so I still like to safeguard with tape so we don't have to stop on press, "just in case".

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »
we are right on the edge of buying one, and this post is awesome. thank you very much for all this info
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »

Alan, the numbers you and I have discussed definitely shows you would rock more out with an STE. I know you could get it with the model we have, but you are already on that cusp of needing the second auto to have 2 presses running full time, the STE would be the right move for you for sure!!! I could only imagine the growth you guys would do literally shooting out finished screens. I know your pre-reg jig is tight and working flawless, but now eliminate that, think of just popping a screen in a holder, and in a minute it comes out imaged and exposed perfect for press. You'd be like a little kid in a candy store pushing those sales guys to start stacking up order and take those figures you've helped increase to a whole new level!! Not to mention, with the way you have dialed in your reclaim and coating, I bet you would be the guy who could literally use 4 pieces of tape only for your block out. Inside tape only, ready to rock, that saves more time and money as well. I'm not there with the taping yet, our recent screen guy isn't as good as the last one. He does good, but not flawless, so I still like to safeguard with tape so we don't have to stop on press, "just in case".
We just installed an STE II  in a shop that had 5 DTS units running around the clock and it is out producing all of them combined. They are producing 600 finished screens every 20 hrs and holding 2% dot.
Rich Hoffman

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

We just installed an STE II  in a shop that had 5 DTS units running around the clock and it is out producing all of them combined. They are producing 600 finished screens every 20 hrs and holding 2% dot.

Well that is impressive sir. 

I see that or a dryer as our next purchase.  I hope this year.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube