Author Topic: registration issues  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Ryan

registration issues
« on: June 30, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
Did not know which category to put it in, but over the last few weeks, I've been having jobs being out on both sides of the design. Quite a few have been repeat jobs with the same films that were used before without issue. I honestly don't know where to look to figure out why this is the case. Anybody have this problem and can point me to where I should look? Amergraph 300/350 exposure (don't know the number), shurloc frames with fairly good tension. Don't know what other info would be pertinent, but any suggestions would be helpful
~Ryan

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: registration issues
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:51:04 PM »
What press?

Is the out of registration consistant?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:53:40 PM by Jon »

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
Hey Ryan, are you able to dial them in, or are they just plain out of wack once on the screens?  Maybe the screen is shifting after imaging? I'd say if it was new film, maybe film is slipping in your printer but if you've used the same films before something is going on  between exposing and loading on the press. I had to get after my guy today taping screens, my wife told me she saw him lifting screens up putting a ton of un-necessary pressure on the mesh with his thumb to the point where she thought his hand was going to go through the mesh, thankfully nothing popped and nothing moved to be noticeable. But I wonder if mesh shifting after an image in burned in can be happening.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
Its out both ways when I get to press, so if i move left its worse on the right and vice versa. Sometimes its been top and bottom. Its like the image was "shrunk" in of both sides so there is no getting it in register. I just don't know where to be looking to figure it out. I feel like when its getting exposed that some how the vacuum is pulling something that is causing to be out, but I just can't see how that would be possible. When I look at films, they are fine

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
No experience with the Shurloc frames, but does the mesh sit flat against the glass before pulling
the vacuum? Or does the vacuum pull the mesh down?

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »
it sits pretty flat. Its like using a static. There may be just a little space, but Its never had any effect on registration before

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
Are you running a flash in between the two colors?  If so, there's a slight possibility that the shirt could be shrinking on press.  Otherwise you may want to check your off contact on all heads/pallets as that can definitely throw things off.

I've had these type of bizarro screens pop up from time to time and usually after a reburn of one or both, all is well.  If not, and the films line up, its more than likely something on press.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
Flashing was my other thought as the guy I work with runs the flashes hotter than I do and he's had more issues than I have when he's running his stuff do that could very well be the culprit more so than anything prepress. I will have to check tomorrow if screens are still up. Thanks

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
1, Even tho they are the same films from previous runs, (Check the films) to assure that they line up. If they are out of alignment (and used to be good), then somehow, they were set near or on excessive heat that caused them to shrink/distort.

2, Check that all screens have the same tension. 5-10 newtons difference may cause misalignment.

3, Check that they align on press (in the frame holders registered) when you start on one platen.

4, Like someone else said, check the level (consistency) of your platens. If one or two are now out of synchronization, that will cause miss registration (in the print).

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
X2 what Dan said
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
Also:

Are you using a different squeegee blade/blade type than you normally do?

Off contact the same?

Squeegee pressure any different?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:28 PM »
Excessive and/or wildly varying off contact can cause this.  Check for parallel on all heads/platens and keep that off contact reasonable ≈1/8" depending on mesh selection and tension of course.

Over flashing is always bad and will cause more issues than just registration...then again so will under flashing.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:37 AM »
My guess is high humidity is causing your film to stick to the screen during exposure not allowing the film to lay flat and distorting the image. We experience this for time to time.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:33:17 AM »
have you sacrificed a virgin to the screen print gods recently?  i always start there

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:12:54 AM »
So that's where they all went
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA