Author Topic: What is the right size bag for a flip folded shirt....  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
What is the right size bag for a flip folded shirt....
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
I have to do 500 shirts this next week and I have some 12X16 but they are just sloppy. I usually but them in sideways so they are tighter but it takes more time. What size bag works best for you guys? I usually buy from uline.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:35:51 PM by Jon »

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Re: What is the right size bag for a flip folded shirt....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:53 PM »
We use the 12x16 from Store Supply with the Miracle Fold and they work great.  What is sloppy about the bags you are using now?

https://www.storesupply.com/search.aspx?query=90301

http://www.amazon.com/MiracleFold-Laundry-Clothes-T-Shirts-Organizer/dp/B009V0YSJE
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
I'm thinking about these bags...

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12278/Resealable-Bags/11-x-14-15-Mil-Resealable-Bags

I want the shirt to be tight in the bag. I hate how the 12X16 has so much extra bag on it.

Am I just trying too hard? Would I be making the bagging process go slower with a 11x14? The flip folded shirt is 10x12

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
My guess is that it will take longer with a smaller bag, as depending on your setup it would take longer to get the shirts in the bags.  For us, the main client that we bag for orders a lot of 3x and 4x and there's no way we'd get those in an 11x14. We also use the flip-seal bags so closing them is much quicker than an adhesive strip. 

I wouldn't really sweat it too much though to be honest, unless the client is.  Ours is just looking to keep the shirts clean while they're in their warehouse, so as long as its covered, they're happy. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »
sqslabs,

I respect what your saying but I just bought the 11x14 ones. I have to try them.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
http://www.uniquepacking.com/ is who I buy bags from.....

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:13:37 AM »
sqslabs,

I respect what your saying but I just bought the 11x14 ones. I have to try them.
Sounds good man be sure to keep the thread updated on how they work out. If there's a better way to get shirts bagged, I'd definitely want to know about it.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
I fold and bag between 200-500 shirts a month right now, sometimes more, for my own designs and for 2 clients who run online apparel brands.  I own two brands of flip folds, one is the actual flip fold brand and one is a knockoff.  The knock off shirts will just barely squeeze into a 9x12, but it isnt easy.  I don't really like the offbrand, but i needed it fast for a job a while ago, and use it on occasion.  The name brand flip fold will fit into 10x13 with a little wiggle room.  I tried a bunch of sizes at first and found the 10x13 to be the best for keeping the folded shirt looking nice when being boxed or mailed individually.  The 11x14 allowed looser materials and smaller sizes to move around too much and bunch up or come unfolded.  Obviously the bigger you go, the easier it is to bag them, but with good technique, the 10x13 are fine.  Maybe one of these days I'll make a quick video showing how I do it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:55:52 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
I fold and bag between 200-500 shirts a month right now, sometimes more, for my own designs and for 2 clients who run online apparel brands.  I own two brands of flip folds, one is the actual flip fold brand and one is a knockoff.  The knock off shirts will just barely squeeze into a 9x12, but it isnt easy.  I don't really like the offbrand, but i needed it fast for a job a while ago, and use it on occasion.  The name brand flip fold will fit into 10x13 with a little wiggle room.  I tried a bunch of sizes at first and found the 10x13 to be the best for keeping the folded shirt looking nice when being boxed or mailed individually.  The 11x14 allowed looser materials and smaller sizes to move around too much and bunch up or come unfolded.  Obviously the bigger you go, the easier it is to bag them, but with good technique, the 10x13 are fine.  Maybe one of these days I'll make a quick video showing how I do it.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the 11x14 and I think they will be fine. I was worried that it would take longer or be too tight. But if your doing 10x13 then I am not worried anymore. The folded side is 10x11 from the sample that I did on one of my flip-folds. Last year I did over 500 of these for the same guy and they were fine with them. I did them in a 12x 16 but put them in sideways so the final bagged shirt was 12 x 11. That included the 2X and 3X shirts. I don't get a bigger size with those they arre just a little thicker.  I just want them to look nicer.

Would love to hear some pointers you have. I don't bag more than a few times a year and I do about 100 to 120 an hour if I am remembering right

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »
My quick pointers would be:

Put the flip fold about 2 inches off the edge of your table.  This lets you easily grab the bottom of each side to do the flipping.  Fold the bottom of the shirt up so it doesnt hang off the edge and is flush with the bottom of the flip fold, then fold the sides, doing a third fold to get the sleeves of larger sizes, then flip the bottom up and press down.

Next slide the folded shirt to the bottom of the flip fold, it can be flush with the flip fold or hang off an inch or so.  Now grab your bag and put it so the part with the adhesive tab is on the bottom.  put a finger in each corner of the opening and put one corner then the other around the shirt and the flip fold edge, then you kind of pinch and quickly shuffle/slide the shirt into the bag and the bag over the rest of the shirt.

Make sure you dont pull of the adhesive guard thing until the shirt is all the way in.  You can get the air out quickly with one hand swipe up the back of the bag, or put it back on the flip fold and flip up and push down, then take off the strip, fold, and adhere.  DONE.

After a few you will figure out all the little motions and tricks for making the sliding in and getting the air out etc.  I can fit about 140 shirts of all sizes in a standard gildan box this way.  If you dont squeeze out the air, good luck getting 100.  The bags all slide all over eachother, so every 10 or so, you should bag or box or you will have shirts slipping around everywhere.

I'm not sure exactly how fast it all is, but you save a lot of time keeping the shirt on the flip fold while bagging instead of moving it around, and I have probably done 200+ an hour like this a few times.  Some of my jobs I have to tie this string with a tag around the shirt which is a giant pain in the ass and slows the whole process down...

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
My quick pointers would be:

Put the flip fold about 2 inches off the edge of your table.  This lets you easily grab the bottom of each side to do the flipping.  Fold the bottom of the shirt up so it doesnt hang off the edge and is flush with the bottom of the flip fold, then fold the sides, doing a third fold to get the sleeves of larger sizes, then flip the bottom up and press down.

Next slide the folded shirt to the bottom of the flip fold, it can be flush with the flip fold or hang off an inch or so.  Now grab your bag and put it so the part with the adhesive tab is on the bottom.  put a finger in each corner of the opening and put one corner then the other around the shirt and the flip fold edge, then you kind of pinch and quickly shuffle/slide the shirt into the bag and the bag over the rest of the shirt.

Make sure you dont pull of the adhesive guard thing until the shirt is all the way in.  You can get the air out quickly with one hand swipe up the back of the bag, or put it back on the flip fold and flip up and push down, then take off the strip, fold, and adhere.  DONE.

After a few you will figure out all the little motions and tricks for making the sliding in and getting the air out etc.  I can fit about 140 shirts of all sizes in a standard gildan box this way.  If you dont squeeze out the air, good luck getting 100.  The bags all slide all over eachother, so every 10 or so, you should bag or box or you will have shirts slipping around everywhere.

I'm not sure exactly how fast it all is, but you save a lot of time keeping the shirt on the flip fold while bagging instead of moving it around, and I have probably done 200+ an hour like this a few times.  Some of my jobs I have to tie this string with a tag around the shirt which is a giant pain in the ass and slows the whole process down...

No way your getting 140 bagged shirts in a gildan box. Those boxes come with 72 shirts in them. I think your number is off a little. So you fold and then bag right away. I have done it a few ways. I have folded like 100 and then bagged them. I think I am faster that way. folding and bagging is to many steps to get a rhythm going for me. 200 plus an hour is lightning fast. I don't remember my numbers last time but I think I was having a hard time getting over 120 an hour. I may not be remembering right though.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
Not sure if its been mentioned, but if you slide the bag over the bottom flap of the folder, once the shirt is folded you can tilt it back and it slides right into the bag.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »
No way your getting 140 bagged shirts in a gildan box. Those boxes come with 72 shirts in them. I think your number is off a little. So you fold and then bag right away. I have done it a few ways. I have folded like 100 and then bagged them. I think I am faster that way. folding and bagging is to many steps to get a rhythm going for me. 200 plus an hour is lightning fast. I don't remember my numbers last time but I think I was having a hard time getting over 120 an hour. I may not be remembering right though.
To be clear, I am talking about the 24x18x15 boxes (I'm pretty sure those are the dimensions).  I regularly get sent boxes with 100 shirts in them from TSC, SSActivewear, etc.  that are simply folded in half in groups of 12.  This is far from the most efficient way to fit them into the box, but it is the most efficient way for distributors to organize and ship them based on how they come from the manufacturer.  When you flip fold the shirts, they are 9x12 and I put them in 10x13 bags, you can do four stacks of 28-35 shirts depending on the size of the shirts being folded.   I can take a photo the next time I do one, which should be next week.

Another way I package a lot of orders is in kraft restaurant to go bags that have handles.  I use 14x10x16 bags, and I can fit 35 Flip folded shirts, or up to 40 shirts that have been stacked in 10's then in half, then had the sleeves and sides curled and tucked under.  I can fit 4 stacks in one of these bags.  I found for most of my jobs, which are in the 100-200 range, clients prefer the bags over the large boxes, since they fit easier in smaller cars and are lighter and easier to move.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
I got the 11x14 bags in and they are perfect for the flip folded shirt. Not overly tight but fit will. I feel they are easier to put the shirts in. The shirt doesn't need to go in so far so its easier. There is less fold over, so easier and cleaner look. Not a huge difference but a little nicer. They are also a little cheaper. So if you use 12 x 16 you may want to try the 11x14.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12278/Resealable-Bags/11-x-14-15-Mil-Resealable-Bags