Author Topic: difference  (Read 844 times)

Offline noortrd

difference
« on: July 07, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
What is the difference between soft hand base , reducer and extender base? Anybeody know its chemistry?.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: difference
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
Well, most use them interchangeably and although I can't go into detail on what each one is made of, I can give you a little info on them.  Soft hand clear is used more for a "fashion" type look to soften the cured ink to more match a waterbased ink.  I've found that soft hand will greatly reduce an ink's opacity if not careful.  Reducer is the one I dislike the most and I think it's misused the most in our industry.  It's plasticizer and most inks are close to their max with plasticizer already so you risk overloading the ink.  Reducer will increase flash times, cure temp, reduce opacity, increases after-flash tack, and increases build-up.  You really don't want to use reducer on inks that have hardened (aged up) because there is physically no room for them to mix in with the resins and blend properly.   Extender base is used a lot of time for black (or dark inks that don't need opacity and/or will be printed alone) inks so shops can extend a gallon of ink with a ton of extender base and turn it into 2 gallons really quickly.  I don't know what extender base and soft hand clear are made of, possibly resins/surfactants/plasticizers...maybe someone will chime in with that info.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: difference
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
Soft hand base:  Typically use a softer resin.  Also has a low viscosity to assist in driving the ink INTO the shirt.  Produces a very soft hand.

Reducer:  Typically is a curable reducer which is a balance of resin and plasticiser with almost no viscosity.  Used to quickly reduce thicker inks.  It will cure on its own.

Reducer*: Can also be a Plasticiser.  That is the main liquid component used in inks.  Is used in very small amounts - no more than 3% by weight - to quickly change the viscosity of thick inks.  It will also extend your flash times and take longer to cure the ink.  Will NOT cure on its own.  If you add to much you will ruin your ink.

Extender base:  Typically is the same "base" used in the main ink line.  It will not change the viscosity or rheology of the ink being used.  It will make the ink less opaque and cheaper per print.  Almost used exclusively on white and very light garments.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.