Author Topic: A New Player in the Panel Game  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
A New Player in the Panel Game
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
Happened to bump into salesman Tim from Dynamic the other day, and was shown their entry into this field.
I haven't tried the Shurlock, though I do have a few and use, (but was underwhelmed by) the Green Screen panels.

These claim to be high tension. Hard to believe, but on their site, they claim approximately 30n!

I will try to get my hands on at least one, but may have to spring for a six pack.

http://www.iconscreenprintingsupply.com/assets/docs/spec-sheets/Click-Frame-Pricing-features.pdf
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: A New Player in the Panel Game
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
I got one as well. Its ok but for me to switch over would seem like a lateral move from static's. If they offered the panels in better mesh than maybe

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
I got one as well. Its ok but for me to switch over would seem like a lateral move from static's. If they offered the panels in better mesh than maybe

Are you really seeing 30n on a click frame?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »
I don't have a meter but using the thump test it was a bit tighter than my new static frames I just felt that we would see a bigger difference in print quality with s-mesh which i ordered a couple to test out that came in Thursday. I will try those this week. Depending on how i feel on the s mesh i may get the Shurlocs going since they offer a broader range of mesh choices.

The click frame is the basic one i believe Rex had. It is all from China.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

The click frame is the basic one i believe Rex had. It is all from China.

No. These are different from Rex's panel system, now marketed as Sefar GreenScreen panels and TRAX frames.

I assume that thew channels and tool use a proprietary profile. Otherwise, they are damn similar though the Dynamic Click frame is much lighter.

I'm frankly a little surprised that there is no copyright infringement (unless they are licencee) .

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »
My memory doesn't serve me well but the main distributor of the new panel frame discussed that portion of it with me and I just can't remember what was said so this post was worth nothing!!! Lol

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »
They brought one to the shop for me to try out..

this frame WILL NOT work with MHM as there is no place to put the 'button' on the frame.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Dochertyscott

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
Ah nice! Let me know how they go.
Could be something I can import, especially if they aren't the same sort of weight that the newmans are.
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:39 AM »
Tim also brought in one for me to look at a few weeks ago. It was .. ok.

The lack of mesh selection, and the fact that the given mesh was of questionable quality instantly pushed it out of my mind.

Also, the sewn in (not bonded) locking strips seemed like they left a lot of room for error as far as exact panel dimensions and corner softening.

Tension wise the sample he had was about the mid to low 20's if I recall. They start out 30-ish and drop to who knows what. (with no-name Chinese mesh it's a guess what the final working tension would be)

Basically they are like static frames with some added trouble that you have to futz with stretching for no added benefit.

We had just placed a Shurloc order the day before too, and zero regrets there.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 03:39:12 PM »
All mesh is tension specific.  30n on an S mesh is not a good idea when the max tension for:
150/48 = 18-28
180/48 = 22-35  Only one I would stretch to 30n
225/40 = 18-29
I recommend a number in the middle of the spread for it to survive in a textile shop.
The higher number is the staging number.  Above this number creates a very fragile screen.

Alan
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »

Are you really seeing 30n on a click frame?

we do on shurlocs and newman panels. Although i will say the shurloc panels max at at 30. we keep them primarily  24
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline shurloc

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
So, does anyone have any real world experience with these yet?

I would love to hear how they are actually performing. From what we've seen, it seems like there is a pretty good flood of "PanelFrame" copies hitting the market right now. There's the ClickFrame, the MeshPANEL frame and a few others. You guys know the quality of the stuff we use, and yes we know we cost a bit more, but for us, it's just not worth it to sell you guys less than the best products we can make. Ultimately, that's why we couldn't make a consistent panel for the PanelFrame to begin with.

I would love to hear some real feedback on these though, so shoot me an email at ron@shurloc.com if you try them out.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 06:09:15 PM »
So, does anyone have any real world experience with these yet?

I would love to hear how they are actually performing. From what we've seen, it seems like there is a pretty good flood of "PanelFrame" copies hitting the market right now. There's the ClickFrame, the MeshPANEL frame and a few others. You guys know the quality of the stuff we use, and yes we know we cost a bit more, but for us, it's just not worth it to sell you guys less than the best products we can make. Ultimately, that's why we couldn't make a consistent panel for the PanelFrame to begin with.

I would love to hear some real feedback on these though, so shoot me an email at ron@shurloc.com if you try them out.

They are welcome to email you, but hell, I started this thread to get some feedback right here! :P
One thing I see as a hurdle to this style would be the slightly different size panels needed to get the correct tensions for different meshes.
The original problems of the first (pre-Sefar) Green Screens was inconsistent panel sizes.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
Thanks Pierre,

But they aren't shaping them either are they? I mean we cut the mesh to a perfect size/shape for different batches of mesh just to get the right tensions between 2 different 230 panels. Are these just a ripped square with a strip sewn on?

Want me to send you a demo EZ Frame to compare? :)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:52:17 PM by shurloc »
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
Thanks Pierre,

But they aren't shaping them either are they? I mean we cut the mesh to a perfect size/shape for different batches of mesh just to get the right tensions between 2 different 230 panels. Are these just a ripped square with a strip sewn on?

Want me to send you a demo EZ Frame to compare? :)

Actually, I'm Andy, and though I'd be happy to check out one of yours, I have to admit that I was always a little scared off by the somewhat comparatively hefty stretcher and its somewhat comparatively hefty price.

The Green Screen panels are cut and stitched, and improved greatly with the Chinese Sefar mesh (I hear the S mesh fans chortling)
They improved on consistency, but probably don't get much over 20n in the 160-200 range I was getting.

I can't answer on the Click Frame panels, as that was what I was asking here.
I'll say that the frames are a nice lightweight aluminum compared to the Green Screens.
I just find their claimed 30n hard to believe.