Author Topic: Wash out booth waste water filtering.  (Read 11504 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Wash out booth waste water filtering.
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
might have to give that a shot as my first attempt... I have a bunch of 55gal plastic barrels here I can cut off.  worse case, I use it as the tank to add a pump to, to filter through some cartridge filters.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
Good post guys!!

We need to implement something here for the reason that we use a dip tank for ink/emulsion and the stain remover we use allows the particles to 'float' on the water surface, which in turn pours over the divider in our two part pump tank, essentially gumming up the sump float switch. we have to clean that out pretty often so introducing a filter system to catch those solids before they fall into the tank is my next project.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
This is what we use.  Cleaned weekly and or every 350 screens.  Sorry for the bad pic.

Great post Chris!!!! How does the water look coming out of this unit? Do you think a 1 or 2 stage waterfilter like on some of the other units after this one would give even cleaner water, or do you think that is overkill?

Chris, do you guys drain into a tank with a sump pump, and then pump the water through this device?

Thanks man!

Mike

This is an inline gravity filter that is installed before the pea-trap, no tank or pump used.  Works like what Gilligan and Moose are using.  As far as the water coming out of the filter it is free of most if not all solids, but I would not drink it.  I installed this b/c our drain was continuously getting clogged. 

Chris

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
This is what we use.  Cleaned weekly and or every 350 screens.  Sorry for the bad pic.

Great post Chris!!!! How does the water look coming out of this unit? Do you think a 1 or 2 stage waterfilter like on some of the other units after this one would give even cleaner water, or do you think that is overkill?

Chris, do you guys drain into a tank with a sump pump, and then pump the water through this device?

Thanks man!

Mike

This is an inline gravity filter that is installed before the pea-trap, no tank or pump used.  Works like what Gilligan and Moose are using.  As far as the water coming out of the filter it is free of most if not all solids, but I would not drink it.  I installed this b/c our drain was continuously getting clogged. 

Chris

Chris, thanks for the info. How many screens a week are you processing?

Here is where we want to be as soon as we can. We want 1 booth to have a recirculation system with degradent. Whether it is the blackline self contained/ "probably the one I'll go with", or the screen Klean systems one. Just for de-inking screens.

Then the other booth, will be fore image wash out, and final rinse when screens come out of the dip tank, this booth having a filtering system to have near clear water coming out.

Depending on which set ups we go with and total cost, lets me know if we do it all at once, which I'd like to do, or first the filtering system, then add the larger booth and recirc system. The recirculation system should take away the nastiest stuff and that system contains the plastisol in the filters that get changed, so once you go to the dip tank, its mainly liquified emulsion that has been broken down, and stains. We just want to do our part to be cleaner and cleaner.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
those of you that are using pump based systems: anybody have a suggestion for a good pump to use to pump the water through the cartridge filters?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
Look up Moose's pics... he has his system pics and then he has the cleaning of it photo'd... it's impressive the pink sludge that he pulled out of his.

We haven't really checked ours but we don't use nearly that many screens, so ours will take a while.  I might have posted pics as well...  have to look.

I don't know if I'd want to do a filter after unless the solids collector was sealed.  It uses to push the water up and out the outlet... if that got backed up (filter clogged) then it would just keep rising and push out of the top.  I'd also at least want a lid (vs a cut 55 gallon drum), it's going to contain X gallons of water/fluid which would have a smell due to the chemicals in it.  This would be constantly seeping out and I'd imagine eventually fill the room with chemical smells.  Mine isn't sealed, but does have a snap on lid... I used a square 30 gallon container, not much different than a storage box, just heavier duty.  Before we put the pea trap it gave us a good lesson on why we needed a pea trap, you could tell that someone just dropped a deuce next door!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
careful gilligan, that smell can give you a nosebleed ;)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 06:38:20 AM »
those of you that are using pump based systems: anybody have a suggestion for a good pump to use to pump the water through the cartridge filters?

Not to be redundant but Tencarva

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »
Sorry Tony,
missed that in your post before.

any pointers to which model from them?  Looks like they do some really high end stuff, probably WAY higher end than what I need or would be willing to pay for.

I'm wondering that since I'm using biodegradable non flammable products, if I can just get away with a cheap sump pump of some sort in the tank after the settling tank.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
You can probably build your own as mentioned above.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
So I guess this topic gets a little split and depends on your actual reclaiming process and how you like to do it, or want to do it. If you use 1 booth to do everything, remove ink, remove emulsion, dehaze/degrease, and image washout from developed screens, it's probably a good idea to have a system to removes solids, and then particles, and then as much of a clean water filter as possible, "if you want the cleanest water you can expect".

Then the other option is having two booths. One self contained recirculation system for de-inking, so that none of the degraded ink makes it's way to the drain. Then the second booth for emulsion removal, and the other not so dirty rinsing. 

With this option 1 or option 2 scenario, I guess it comes down to your preference, wants how ever you call it, or regulations. Or if you just don't have the space for 2 booths. I like the idea of keeping the dirty nasty greasier stuff contained in their own booth. During busy times, one could expedite their system by having someone just de-inking/de-taping, and the other guy/booth working the dip tank and the rinse out booth. Obviously two systems in place with two booths costs more up front, but to have a cleaner footprint on the environment overall is probably worth it.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »
We have four sinks

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
The problem with the self-contained/recirculating systems for us is that we are roughy 60% plastisol/40% waterbase.. but you don't really want the waterbase residues going down the drain anyways.

my 'ideal' system is something like:

3 washout sinks.. one clean/two dirty... clean only used for final rinsing screens (and maybe degreasing?) as well as post exposure dip-tank blowout.

1st dirty is for plastisol with a recirc system for ink degradent

2nd 'dirty' sink is for rinsing plastisol screens post degradent, rinsing waterbased screens, and post reclaim dip tank sprayout.

both the clean and dirty sink lead to a solids settling system (like the traps listed above, or maybe just a tank with the exit higher than the entrance.  that flows to a tank that has a pump in it to pump through the 50micron and then 5-10 micron filters, which then leads to the city sewer.

(everything after the sinks sounds pretty much like the Blackline or other filtration systems that are available).

My biggest question is still what to use to pump through the cartridge filters... I have an idea/handle on how to 'rig' everything else.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »

My biggest question is still what to use to pump through the cartridge filters... I have an idea/handle on how to 'rig' everything else.

i am afraid of buying a pump that would blow out the seals on a cartridge filter housing...