Author Topic: Has anyone recently made the switch?  (Read 5209 times)

Offline shirtz

Has anyone recently made the switch?
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »
After the week from hell with multiple windows systems I'm explorering the possibility of switching over to mac (s).
Has anyone done so recently?
I design in corel x3 , output to film maker 3 and print positves on a epson 1400.
We also have a Brother GT541
and a Roland VP540 with versa works, neither of which support mac drivers.
I know there is no silver bullet, but there has to be a better way to maintain productivity and sanity.

Offline inkbrigade

Re: Has anyone recently made the switch?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »
After the week from hell with multiple windows systems I'm explorering the possibility of switching over to mac (s).
Has anyone done so recently?
I design in corel x3 , output to film maker 3 and print positves on a epson 1400.
We also have a Brother GT541
and a Roland VP540 with versa works, neither of which support mac drivers.
I know there is no silver bullet, but there has to be a better way to maintain productivity and sanity.
I'm a mac user and although i can't offer much about switching i do have some thoughts for you. I'm not sure about your programs and your rip as we use illustrator and accurip here. As a general rule macs are less troublesome due to drivers, no viruses or spyware.
Also if you have a need for windows you can install virtual box (for free) and use windows as a virtual machine on your mac. I do it with quickbooks and fastmanager.

The nice thing is since your Windows OS is just a disk image you can make a copy of it for a back up. That way when your windows install shits the bed, just launch the backed up clean copy.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
I switched to a mac a few years ago and never looked back. I can't imagine using anything else.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »
Obviously, Corel won't work on the Mac OS unless you install Windoze on it. I've got XP on my MacBook to run Ghostscript and a few things like the Union Ink and Matsui mixing programs and a card reader for my Intuit merchant account, which I'm gonna ditch after getting Square. Contrary to what some suggest, a Mac is not an overpriced Dell. Over the course of 20 years using Macs, the only problems I ever had was freezing up on my G5 due to some crappy "free" RAM that came with it from the vendor, and an OS crash after I installed an out-of-date disk utility while setting up my old G3 when it was new.
JMHO, though. My first Mac (which I still have and was my most expensive) was a step up from a Tandy PC that ran their "Deskmate" interface, with no hard drive and 640kb of RAM. I'm not sure that transition still counts as an answer to your question.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:52 AM »
Once you go MAC, you never go back :)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »
Be careful..I just got a macbook pro, I have a 2 year old Imac at the shop..The new macs do not have rosetta, which is something that allows you to use the earlier versions of software, like CS , So I have to find all new versions...Thats with the Lion,.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »
Be careful..I just got a macbook pro, I have a 2 year old Imac at the shop..The new macs do not have rosetta, which is something that allows you to use the earlier versions of software, like CS , So I have to find all new versions...Thats with the Lion,.

He is using Corel, and for that he needs Parallel desktop to run it on Windows side.

Shirtz, you will suffer a bit when you switch to get all the stuff. But it is worth it.
I have my iMac for 7 years, and I had to reboot it only once in those 7 years, and that was my fault too.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
He can use Bootcamp that comes with the Mac OS to run Windows, but I don't know if you can run both systems concurrently under it. I use VMware Fusion to run Windows and you can run both OSs simultaneously, dragging files from one desktop to the other.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »
He can use Bootcamp that comes with the Mac OS to run Windows, but I don't know if you can run both systems concurrently under it. I use VMware Fusion to run Windows and you can run both OSs simultaneously, dragging files from one desktop to the other.
Tom. There is a bunch of different software, I just remembered Parallels first. VMware Fusion is the best I think (I have it at work)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
I have Fusion running on my Mac too, but I almost never use it. You could run both systems independently, and have the Windows machine drive the VersaCamm and the Brother. If you do go Mac, consider learning Illustrator for your vectors, of course you could continue to run Corel on the Windows machine, but then, why convert to Mac at that point? And, you could do it in baby steps, so you'd have that safety net.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
After a 4 hour ordeal with audio drivers one day and a keyboard out the 2nd story window, I drove straight to an apple store and bought an imac on the spot. Never looked back. Even sold my brand new toshiba laptop for a 2 year old macbook. Best move I ever made.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 02:05:23 PM »

I bought a macbook last year.
Then bough parallels ans windows 7 because it seems like most things for our industry is only pc compatible.
Last week I bought a pc laptop to use for everything. The mac is now my personal.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »

I bought a macbook last year.
Then bough parallels ans windows 7 because it seems like most things for our industry is only pc compatible.
Last week I bought a pc laptop to use for everything. The mac is now my personal.

I have iMac, where I do design. I have a PC desktop in basement, to run Embroidery software and to connect to my Tajima. Also, I have a PC laptop that I take to customers (Just because I was able to buy it for $400).
The one in basement i have because i have PowerPC iMac and I can not load Windows. As soon as I get new iMac, the PC from basement goes to my son :)

Can't wait.......

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 03:15:26 PM »
osetta, which is something that allows you to use the earlier versions of software, like CS

Cs 3 and up are universal & will run on intel with Lion. you do not need to run  Micro$uck WINDOZ to use PC based software on an intel mac.....
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
osetta, which is something that allows you to use the earlier versions of software, like CS

Cs 3 and up are universal & will run on intel with Lion. you do not need to run  Micro$uck WINDOZ to use PC based software on an intel mac.....

why can't i then...I get a window that says powerpc can't run on this computer.?