Author Topic: Video - How to make a Newman Roller frame in 10 minutes or less.  (Read 10246 times)

Offline inkbrigade

Re: Video - How to make a Newman Roller frame in 10 minutes or less.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:49 AM »
Evo, get a rollermaster if you can. I know they can be spendy but i see used ones pop up from time to time and they are so worth it!
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline shurloc

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
Alright, everyone was asking for it so I snagged David, a fabric panel and our Accelerator 2 demo table and shot a little video for everyone. We took a 110/80 fabric panel to 50N in 2 minutes...

August 26, 2011 11:29 AM

PS - Sorry for the yellow color balance, my phone wasn't cooperating very well so I got it set the best I could on this one.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:07:34 PM by shurloc »
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline squeegee

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
Wow!

If I still owned any Newmans I'd definately buy one of those contraptions...Faast!

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
Damn.
Takes me a bit longer on the table  ::)
Nice jig.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
The next thing I get to do for him is get the tri-loc system back in order.
John please come to oregon and get our tri-loc in order! PLEASE!!!
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:47 PM »
The next thing I get to do for him is get the tri-loc system back in order.
John please come to oregon and get our tri-loc in order! PLEASE!!!

Cover the airfare and I can be there and have it and the guys who use it sorted in a few days. I've never been to the north west so it's on my travel to-do list.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline BorisB

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 06:14:26 AM »
There are different approaches to tighten bolts.

-John you do it instantly after stretching.
-On Stretch Devices home page they suggest to wait five minutes before tightening.
-Murakami suggests to stretch in four stages... As I understood, not for S thread only...
-I read somewhere to leave it 30 min on Newman Table before tightening...

Does any of  you let it relax and re tension?  Or just tighten regardless  tension drop.

Boris

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
We stage up the S meshes as per Murakami's recommendation. 

I used to do a similar thing when using Newman Roller Mesh as well just to 'seat' the mesh in the channel.  With roller mesh I just took it straight to the top after seating it.  What I mean by 'seating' is similar to inflating a new bike innertube properly if that makes sense. You don't just blast a crap ton of air in the tube all at once, you put a little in and let some out an then go up to where you want to be. 

In both cases I let em hang out on the table for at least 10 minutes...about as long as it takes John to mesh up the next one.  Two tables are definitely the way to go when using bolt mesh.  Unnecessary for panels. 

When possible I leave them on there for much longer than 10 minutes and as long as overnight. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 09:08:50 PM »

Does any of  you let it relax and re tension?  Or just tighten regardless  tension drop.

Going to bring this thread back to address some issues I didn't last time.

Why do I not relax the mesh.. because you don't have to.

the principal behind the technique of tensioning mesh is to flatten the knuckles of the mesh and make a flat stable printing surface.

I have an article here in my hands (in my 'screen bible book' at work really so I'll grab it tomorrow for author) that I've had for about 10 years now that came out around the time the roller table got really popular. It's goal was to find out if pulling the mesh to it's final tension level on the first tension equally from 4 sides at once had any kind of dramatic improvement on initial tension drop vs the 1-roller at a time manual method. The results are staggering and proved that by suddenly 'whacking' the mesh to it's maximum tension levels it was immediately ready for use. The initial tension drop after first printing was minimal requiring only 3-5 more re-tensions to stabilize the mesh. The manual method requires 3 staged tensions before going into production and requires up to 12 additional re-tens before the mesh stabilizes.

Anyone who has made a 200 or higher roller frame with just a wrench and a flat table knows what I mean. It's a long drawn out multi-day process before that screen makes it into production. You can have 6 hours invested into a frame before you even print it!

They also found you could take the mesh to 125% of it's max tension and not break. It would then 'relax' down to it's max tension level. This was how I made my screens at Custom Logos for 4 years with a roller master. If the max tension for the mesh (dynamesh at the time) was 35n then I'd index the rollers, insert the mesh and whack it to 40n and tighten it up. After the first print run the screen would drop to 32-35 depending on the length of the first print run.

I tested the theory over and over to make sure it worked and it did!
This is the way I've been making screens for the last 10 yrs and how I will keep making them.

MESH PANELS and saved time.
As for that other video with panel mesh I was going to make.. I shot a bunch of footage and after 12 tries. I couldn't get past 7 minutes just for the sole fact that you can't index your rollers with panels. You have to take the time and bring them up to the tension point you desire or you'll break em. The only way I can see to  help that is to make spacers that fit on the air cylinder rod and stop the roll there. then you can insert and whack

So there.. panels don't save you tons of time as the time saved by putting the panels in, is absorbed by not being able to take it to tension instantly.  I only saved 3 minutes and I know what the heck I'm doing. After this time test, panels are a complete waste of time and money to ME so I'll never use them again except for very low mesh so I  don't have to lose a frame to mesh that I use maybe once a year.

I challenge anyone to make a video like mine with panels and get under the 7 minute mark from absolute start to finish.
You still have to pull out old mesh, clean the frame, index the rollers, insert new mesh, tension and apply protection tape.
Just putting a 110 panel in a ready to go frame and taking it to 50 isn't start to finish.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:24:22 PM by jsheridan »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
oops.. replied when mean to edit.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
I disagree regarding the "0-60" method with mesh tensioning.  I know someone did a big study on it but the only mesh I've used that can do this is roller mesh and it experienced a lot of tension drop after using the straight to the moon method v. staging.  We basically use Murakami's recommended method although I do take the initial tension a touch higher than max like you do.  I think repeatedly allowing the mesh to relax keeps the knuckles from getting all bound up and releasing that tension later on.  I do three relaxes and like to leave the mesh at max until it drops tension a few times.  I do other tasks while this is happening and sometimes leave the screen on all night.  I've read a recommendation to put a smooth, heavy plate the size of the image area on the screen, sounds like a good idea as well.

I have to agree on the panels, I went through a whole box earlier this year and will be ordering yardage today to re-up.  However, fabric loading and corner softening is everything and those panels, even with what I thought was a poor loading and softening job, can be popped in by anyone that knows how to tension a screen and thats very nice.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »
I love using the panels and I haven't done any time comparisons between using bolt versus panels but we are going to be moving from the panels to bolt mesh due to our new issues with mesh busting.  I need to get cheaper and we all know bolt mesh is way cheaper than the panels.  I am certain that I can get a screen up to tension with a panel twice as fast as bolt but because I'm not experienced with bolt mesh at all.  Once I get a few dozen under my belt I will be very efficient with it therefore making it a much better option for us versus the panels.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline islandtees

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »
I love using the panels and I haven't done any time comparisons between using bolt versus panels but we are going to be moving from the panels to bolt mesh due to our new issues with mesh busting.  I need to get cheaper and we all know bolt mesh is way cheaper than the panels.  I am certain that I can get a screen up to tension with a panel twice as fast as bolt but because I'm not experienced with bolt mesh at all.  Once I get a few dozen under my belt I will be very efficient with it therefore making it a much better option for us versus the panels.
I agree panels are nice. We recently got some of the econo line panels. However, the panels are still to expensive compared to bolt mesh. The video showing installing bolt mesh in 10 minutes. He is going at a relaxed pace. The other video of 2 minutes looks like someone going like crazy to set a record on mesh installation. That was with a brand new frame with the rollers indexed in the right place. Now add to that the taping and a normal used frame and the time may be a couple of minutes saved. So I agree panels are not worth it.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words..

I have just now started to re-tension the screen inventory at my buddy's shop. I made this frame a little over 5 weeks ago. It's a 200n rapid tensioned with roller indexing to 40n. It's been through 4 print cycles and this is where the tension sits today with not a single re-ten.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:59:30 PM by jsheridan »

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words..

I have just now started to re-tension the screen inventory at my buddy's shop. I made this frame a little over 5 weeks ago. It's a 200n rapid tensioned with roller indexing to 40n. It's been through 4 print cycles and this is where the tension sits today with not a single re-ten.

What kind of mesh is it?