Author Topic: ELI5: after printing - how/where do oyu clean ink from screens/squeegees?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
What's the point of press wash and screen opener anyway...I've never used either or needed them.

Press Wash is for cleaning screens you want to use again, color changes and just basic plastisol ink removal. It is not harsh and does not hurt the emulsion.

Screen opener is for tough hard to get out ink.  Made for when ink get caught in the screen openings (stencil). I use it also for color changes after all the ink is removed with a press wash. It stinks and it will eat plastic but it cleans off everything.

I card off ink, paper towel off most of the rest, then use dollar store counter top wipes (basically generic clorox wipes) to get the rest off.  Never had an issue with a color change on press using this, even going from white to black or with stuff like reds and navy/royal that may take one extra wipe.  Emulsion holds up just fine as well.  If I store a screen off press and just want the ink off, I just hit it with 701 and rinse off in my booth.  Good as new...

I can't really think of a time when I've had ink get stuck in a screen in a way that one of these same wipes wouldnt get it out as well.  What kind of inks are yall using that are getting stuck in a screen mid run...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
So does this chem only really work/shine with a heated parts washer?

I have a parts washer in use already, currently running PCS 1000 from Tractor Supply... it works pretty well with the flow through brush we have rigged up.

Their parts washer is unique in that it has a paper filter in layers that needs be disposed of weekly(?) to trap the particles of a certain size. I think the heat is required to allow the biological agents to live/work. I don't know what happens if the power goes out in winter...

well, I modded my parts washer to use an oil filter so I got that covered.  I just wonder about this heat deal.

Offline Dochertyscott

I've sampled some specific press washes from suppliers, with no great wow factor and adds costs.
I have used in past print shops 2 way thinners, and turps for plastisol cleaning.
Turps is what I use in my print shop now for plastisol cleanup.
I've had no issues, we finish up with another common solvent called kumclean (unsure of what it is) before reclaiming or if going from say red to white. Wipe with dry rag to dry off.
Perhaps it's just what I'm used to and don't know any better.
Am I missing out on anything special?
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
well, I modded my parts washer to use an oil filter so I got that covered.  I just wonder about this heat deal.

I was told at M&R that this stuff doesn't do anything unless it is heated.  I also had a chance to try it out and it worked great.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Having done this every way from bleach to one step dip tanks, I have always preferred a 3 spray bottle 5 screen set method.  Now we at Xenon have a fairly low cost set of 3 chemicals.  1. Xen Magic (Ink degrader) $27.50 per Gallon.  2. XER 25 (Stencil Remover) $3.66 per Gallon.  3. Degreaser $11 per Gallon.
I know there is no haze removal step.  This is because the Xen Magic removes all the ink as if the screen is new.  The Xen Magic could be used in a pinch for existing haze. In my almost 30 years of cleaning screens I have not seen an ink degrader as good as Xen Magic which contains 0 VOC's and is septic, drain and sewer safe.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Last time I checked Don said it was $85 per 5 gallon...and yes, it must be warm.  Cold doesn't do crap.  Don's price is a few bucks less than Napa, and I'd rather order from him anyway.  I think every part store has done something to piss me off at one point.

Sonny's XenMagic is very good cold though.  Both of them have their place.  I have a gallon of it here and I thought it was a solvent, but it's water based.