Artist > Art for free/trade/donation

Donations = A mutual effort.

(1/3) > >>

Dottonedan:
Re; Handeling art donations.

After reviewing a post somewhere about someone needing some free art for a customer that would be considered a low income area customer base or non profit, I wondered if the printer taking the order is also providing services for free or discounted. Certainly not free, but how about discounted?

To give you a better picture, it's a bit hard to take when someone says "can you do this job for free as a donation since they are an inner city club" (meaning that they more than likely will not have that much money to pay for art). I can understand this and could agree to do something. I would be MORE willing if I was able to see your invoice where you charged X amount but gave them a decent discount yourself. Then I would be very happy to jump in and go in with you.

If the shop is charging a regular price...but want me to donate art. I see something wrong with that.
Donations = A mutual effort.

Frog:
It's not just art.

Not to seem overly harsh, but many have heard my response to a call that begins with "We are a non-profit organization" I generally respond with, "I'm trying very hard to not be".

Likewise, I agree that the caller to you should indicate a team effort and start out with something like "We're donating the printing and just making the markup on the shirts and could you help as well?"

A large display of Chutzpah occurred about two weeks ago when I was left a message from a woman who had committed to hand painting four aprons to sell at a school auction. Two days before the auction she asked me to donate the printing.
By the time I responded, to tell her that no, I couldn't (wouldn't) she told me that it was okay because she had since called the folks who did the school shirts, and asked them! Well, duh!
I hear of this type of behavior on the boards constantly. We're not good (or cheap) enough to do the paying jobs, but can we help them out?

dlac:
Now You tell me NO FREE ART... after 20+ years of giving art away... Cwap if I could sell art I can get rid of my sandwich board and take a shower... wait till the wifeee heres this
dlac

Evo:

--- Quote from: Frog on April 17, 2011, 05:05:52 PM ---Not to seem overly harsh, but many have heard my response to a call that begins with "We are a non-profit organization" I generally respond with, "I'm trying very hard to not be".

--- End quote ---

My other response is, "then sell the shirts for what I'm charging you. Bingo, no profit for you to worry about."

Well, in not so many words anyway.

Fresh Baked Printing:
Since when does non-profit mean they're broke? Unless I'm printing for Hmong refugees in Thailand, they have money, access to grants, corporate sponsorship with waaay deeper pockets than mine, etc.
While I might be a corporation in my own right, I don't have the bling signage to put on the stage and banners with my name plastered all over it.
I certainly don't mind giving or printing for causes I care about but what rubs me the wrong way is when the committee member will act like it's a great opportunity for ME to give them free stuff.
If the committee member made any attempt at all to nurture a relationship with my business and tell me a little bit about themselves, that would go along way for me considering giving for a cause I might just care about.
Instead the committee member is only out to show the board how slick they were that they got something for nothing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version