Author Topic: 400 Screens in 8 hours with 1 person - Coat, Image, Expose & Rinse  (Read 11673 times)

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
Re: 400 Screens in 8 hours with 1 person - Coat, Image, Expose & Rinse
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
I think it would benefit any growing shop. I mean growing fast. Yes, they're expensive, but if they can help you do a job faster/better/more efficiently then in turn that should allow you to crank out work faster than you are now and help you grow even more.

If you're only coating 5 screens a day or so then sure, I don't see much of a point other than it's really cool.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »
I apologize if I took it wrong. That's why I often bite my tongue here.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
I can't wait to get DTS in our shop.  We are right back to the edge of making another choice of add hands again or improve the speed of a process. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
If you guys had the 2 boobs that I've had working with the screens you'd feel perfectly fine with replacing them with a machine. I guess I'll start a new thread with the latest happenings here.  I've got a new artist and 2 openings out in production that I'm going to try and fill with one full-timer and one part-timer.  But I'd really like to fill the one full time position with a human and the other with a CTS.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »
If you guys had the 2 boobs that I've had working with the screens you'd feel perfectly fine with replacing them with a machine. I guess I'll start a new thread with the latest happenings here.  I've got a new artist and 2 openings out in production that I'm going to try and fill with one full-timer and one part-timer.  But I'd really like to fill the one full time position with a human and the other with a CTS.

IMO your shop will need a CTS at some point anyway, might be the writing on the wall to move on with it.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »
Yeah, that seems like a tough decision there. Do you want to go through the trouble of hiring, training (or at least getting someone acclimated to your shop) and then maybe having to go through 2 or 3 to get someone half way decent, plus all the HR headaches. Not to mention if they put you in a bind by quitting. Or option two: get a machine.

I'd be interested to see what the numbers shake out to of hiring(and all the extra costs associated) vs buying the equipment.

Also if there would be sort of a guideline where X number of screens processed a day justifies a Unikote/DTS.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
Nothing wrong with two boobs.

But three boobs... that's an entirely different discussion.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
Alan, I was just going to ask you to send the two boobs here. That's a piece of equipment we're sorely lacking here ;D
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »
Someone say boobs? 

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »

come on over and check ours out!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
I would never fire somebody and replace them with a machine, but I would and have bough a piece of equipment to try and prevent hiring...I can't think of any business owner that wouldn't consider it.

It's not malicious by any means.  If we all thought that way we will still be using stat cameras and rubylith, and those scratch off letters and numbers.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »
Hiring a printer is the reason we have an auto right now, cheaper and more dependable...

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
Leave it up to me to be the only one who brings attention to the fact that when you introduce freshly coated screens into a dry environment, those dried screens begin to absorb the residual moisture, which in turn starts to alter the chemistry. It's been a time honored standard that we don't expose damp screens. With all the chatter about moisture meters, dehumidifiers and what not to produce the best possible screen that we can here comes the one company that has the power, resources to maintain this standard who is willing to throw it all out the window in the name of speed..

speed for what..

I love technology, love that this amount of work can be done by a single person but if dropping proper screen room etiquette is the trade off, count me out.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
If the room air is dehumidified, I doubt there is much change by introducing wet screens.  You'd have to really have to have a lot of screens and open emulsion in there and an underpowered unit to drastically alter the moisture level of a room.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 10:11:33 AM »
If the room air is dehumidified, I doubt there is much change by introducing wet screens.  You'd have to really have to have a lot of screens and open emulsion in there and an underpowered unit to drastically alter the moisture level of a room.

Right...and who says you have to have it configured exactly like this? This was all open/lighted for demo/camera purposes. You could build a separate room(s) if so inclined and still be super efficient.