Author Topic: 60amp Plug for Flash Unit?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Admiral

60amp Plug for Flash Unit?
« on: October 23, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »
We currently use Hubbell 8365C

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271621669749?lpid=82

For our press and flash units, but the flash unit on the way is rated at 55amps and these have a 50amp limit.

Anyone have a plug they recommend for this larger higher amp flash unit on the way?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: 60amp Plug for Flash Unit?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »
Just another 60a california style would be appropriate to replace the hubbell.  Exact model will depend on your voltage and phase.  Platt electric carries them.

If you are saying your fla is 55a then a 60a plug is ok likely but you'll want a 70a breaker.   

My understanding is that the plug/recept is ok at the 60a but the breaker needs to be derated appropriately, i.e., fla*1.25

*none of the above is offered as actual electrical advice. I, or anyone posting on the internet could, in fact, be a total dumb ass.  I am not an electrician, be sure to consult yours.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
I had my 20amp flash tripping a 30 amp breaker... granted it was a used breaker and I think it was faulty.  That 40 ain't tripping though! LOL

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »
Most breakers are overrated.  For instance I was putting the clamp meter to our panel to get actual, real life information on amp draw of all our devices when they run full tilt.  Our Chili is on a 30a breaker but, with the power at max and all zones on, that clamp meter was reading out a steady 35a draw or more.  The breaker did not trip, never has even in heavy production.  Could be the tolerance of the clamp meter but it's a good one, not a cheapie and nevertheless, that circuit is getting redone and #8 with a 40a plug/recept and breaker setup. 

So your case sounds like a faulty breaker or possibly some kind of weirdness in the machine on the circuit.  It's unlikely the mfg listed the fla incorrectly.  You should absolutely not be using a 40a breaker on a device with an fla of 20.  30a breaker should be more than adequate there.   

*none of the above is offered as actual electrical advice. I, or anyone posting on the internet could, in fact, be a total dumb ass.  I am not an electrician, be sure to consult yours.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
I had a clamp on it as well... it was drawing right at 20.

We have had a basic wall circuit with our dehumidifier, pressure washer and air dryer all on the same circuit (coincidence) and it was tripping... but it was pulling over 20 amps and it would only trip occasionally.  I pulled the dehumidifier off and put it on another circuit I had laying right there.  All is well now.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:04:20 PM »
Hubble makes nice plugs in larger sizes that would be suitable. I prefer Appleton plugs, little more heavy duty but also a higher price tag.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »
We currently don't have any electrical issues at all, our Red Chili Ds, Cayenne have been running fine on the current setup with those Hubbell plugs I linked.

This was in preparation for the 20x28 flash which will draw up to 55 amps 3 phase 230v.  I will look into Appleton and higher amp Hubbell, I tried searching Hubbell already and looked through this catalog

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catalogpages/section-b.pdf

But wasn't sure what to try to go for from that.  I buy them used in like new condition usually, save 100-200 bucks...

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »
60 amp would be the next step up. Twist lock are very expensive in this range, over a grand for a set. You are looking for a pin and sleeve type connector and plug. 4 pole unless you are using a neutral for some reason (doubt it).

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
Went with Hubbell 460C9W and 460P9W, thanks.