Author Topic: MHM platen deflection and other issues  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: MHM platen deflection and other issues
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
I just went and did some more measurements. From the frame to the pallet I only see deflection in the front part of the pallet. The back part or between the two mounts I see no movement or too little movement to measure. The only deflection I see on my 10 color e-type is from the bending of the front of the pallet before the first mount. That is at 3 to 4 bars. I measured the pallet support arm and there is no movement there. All these measurements are from the bottom of the frame. The only movement is in the front part of the pallet. So that means that the first 13.5 inches of the pallet is moving by 1/16 of a inch at the point or end. Most of my prints don't even start until 5.5 inches into the board (tapered neck boards). So let's say that is half of the 13.5 inches. That would mean I have 1/32 of a inch of deflection to 0 deflection on the first 6.75 inches of my prints. This is just my findings.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »
I didn't measure either, but we're running discharge though 280's at about 3.5 bar, and I'm not seeing any movement
in the support arm. The tip of the pallet is flexing quite a bit, but like Jon, we start our prints pretty low.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
Maybe they positioned the support arms to eliminate deflection at the start of the print area and considered the rest of the platen from there out to be for shirt positioning?  Or would you guys be losing image area by staying out of the "deflection zone"?

Offline Extreme Screen Prints

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »
I didn't measure either, but we're running discharge though 280's at about 3.5 bar, and I'm not seeing any movement
in the support arm. The tip of the pallet is flexing quite a bit, but like Jon, we start our prints pretty low.

A lot of our prints are 17-21 inches tall and that's mainly were we have to place our images at mark 3 or 4 on the fpu.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
More food for thought if your printing too close to the ends or sides of a screen frame it could cause distortion of the image.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
Maybe they positioned the support arms to eliminate deflection at the start of the print area and considered the rest of the platen from there out to be for shirt positioning?  Or would you guys be losing image area by staying out of the "deflection zone"?

You can't start all your prints below that flex point. This too low and you would never be able to position the art correctly. I have never seen any registration problems. I can't say I have seen any deposit or stroke thickness changes either. Extreme is printing much wider and taller than I do. My standard prints are no more than 13 wide by about 16 to 19 tall.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
I think I can see a good picture of the deflection on these machines now.  Really doesn't sound like at issue at smaller print size but a very real one at large print sizes.  I've heard this from other e-type users who routinely printed at max image size.   We see the same pattern on our Gauntlet, max image area can be gnarly, the effect of the deflection is just multiplied more over longer image areas.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
I think the E-Types can start printing higher up/closer to screen frame than the S-Types.

We put our reg marks at #3 on the FPU, but art starts at about #4, so that we know we won't have issues
with clearing. This is about 9" or so from frame edge, which seems like a lot, but we can print to within an inch or two
on the other end.

We run with our pallets placed fully inward as well.

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
I think the E-Types can start printing higher up/closer to screen frame than the S-Types.

We put our reg marks at #3 on the FPU, but art starts at about #4, so that we know we won't have issues
with clearing. This is about 9" or so from frame edge, which seems like a lot, but we can print to within an inch or two
on the other end.

Have you ever tried printing outward in, It seems like it would help with covering but I just can't wrap my head around it. Seems so backwards when I am prinitng. LOL

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

on the other end.

Have you ever tried printing outward in, It seems like it would help with covering but I just can't wrap my head around it. Seems so backwards when I am prinitng. LOL

hmm, we print outward->inward. We were about to switch, but with all the new staff the timing was not right. So just to confirm, you start at the bottom of the shirt?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »

on the other end.

hmm, we print outward->inward. We were about to switch, but with all the new staff the timing was not right. So just to confirm, you start at the bottom of the shirt?

pierre

We print same as you, Outward inward I would like to try to print the opposite though, I watch videos in different countries with MHMs and they all print inward outward. Makes sense seeing how that point is fixed and the inward point is not.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
They also print with 2PSI in other countries. I don't get it.

And all MHM factory workers wear the same blue overalls. It's weird.

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 01:32:37 PM »
They also print with 2PSI in other countries. I don't get it.

And all MHM factory workers wear the same blue overalls. It's weird.

I saw those goofy overalls, I should get some for my press ops, bet they will love that.LOL

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
I was going to print inward to try it out but the squeegee would be on the inside so you lose another 2.5 inches of the top of your screen. It does make more sense to print that way since the screen holder your pushing against is fixed. The way we print your pushing against the air pressure of the screen holder.