Industry regulations > OSHA

Machine Guarding

<< < (2/11) > >>

TCT:
Thanks for the insight Rich!

Mark are you part of SGIA? Maybe they have some resources to help you. They have a whole new package they are advertising about compliance.

I'd contact Printwear and Impressions/ISS(keep in mind they have the Orlando show this week) also. Not that they would have any answers, but it would be in their best interest to cover(read- add pressure) a situation like this. If this inspector has his way and his "method" of inspecting spreads to other inspectors it could become a big issue for a lot more of us!

Binkspot:
Rich beat me to it but like he said it's all in the inspectors interpretation of the CFR, not just OSHA but with most regulating agencies. None of them like to proven wrong so it becomes a touchy situation disputing an issue plus I feel a lot of it is job justification. There are provisions under some situations if you can prove the request is unreasonable they will accept a different resolution but if the inspector is hard headed it can become a nightmare.

You may be able to request a review and have another inspector look at the situation, but depending on how much seniority the inspector has it could open a can of worms. If he feels you are trying to side step the situation and has some authority he could make your life difficult.  If you are in good standing with the regulating body, prove to them it's not an issue, provide them with another solution and get a reasonable person hopefully they will work with you. But you have to present them with hard facts not just shop talk.

Like Rich said a laser safety curtain around each press would work but would be costly and hinder production. Same would apply to a cage around the press, I believe that's almost what they do in Canada. Or maybe you could paint a wide yellow stripe around each press with warnings stating do not enter and add a flashing light above each press tied into the indexer. So when the machine is running the light is flashing. 

TCT:
I've seen the thick yellow painted line many times so HOPEFULLY that may be a good compromise that works.

Flying Colors:
Thanks everybody for the information and advice, we have not had our closing conference yet so I will find out more then.

We were actually visited by MiOSHA not OSHA, Michigan's version and obviously they have similar rules but from what I can gather a little harsher in certain areas.

Rich- How much is the laser system?

Alex- We are not part of SGIA.

Mark

Frog:

--- Quote from: tonypep on September 04, 2014, 06:35:34 AM ---What is curious to me is that OSHA doesn't go after the mfg (ignorance on my part; could be some territorial issue) Long ago, when some very unfortunate person got his skull crushed on an Oval due to a by-passed safety; OSHA made that company lock the screen side of all of the machines behind fencing. A dead mans switch that cut power to the machines was the only way to get behind the machine. Someone actually died and yet no action taken against the equip mfg. themselves to my knowledge.

--- End quote ---

My understanding is that OSHA (and I assume the state versions) is only there to protect the safety of employees.
The equipment manufacturers would similarly be held responsible by OSHA guidelines for the equipment that their employees used, not what they are producing.
On a similar note, in a mom and pop with no employees, there is not the same scrutiny.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version