Artist > Works In Progress-art process

first drawing

(1/2) > >>

virgil427:
this my first real drawing ,always manipulated clip art, would appreciate any constructive criticism.

tpitman:
I'd rotate the car so it looked like it was sitting level. You may be trying to give it some perspective by tilting it, but it's fighting with the text. As for the text, I'd give it more perspective by having the "3D" part decline to a vanishing point in the center, and commensurate with the plane of the car, instead of to one side. I'd lighten the window on the passenger's side since there's nothing "dark" behind the car . . . a light tint would be sufficient to "color" the glass. And, I'd add some lighter notes to areas like the rims to give it a little more contrast in values, or, change the color of the car to brighten it up a little, unless you've chosen the current color scheme deliberately. The car itself is nicely drawn. I like the fact that you included some interior details. Lots of times a drawn car looks "empty". Well done.

Dottonedan:
What he said....and on the black body, I would make sure to POP the shine so that it helps give it the depth. Research some other peoples cars. Use some reflection blue or gray on the tires. Something to keep it different than the body. |A realism trick is to make the car looks more WET with sheen than on the tires. Tires a dull surface. The paint is not.

One thing to make note of, especially being a tee shirt artist is to make sure you keep your shadow areas just that. Shadows (and not solid blacks). We need to lighten the shadows areas so you can actually know it's a shadow rather than a black or dark solid area.  I see some really great artist that color the vehicles way too dark in the shadow areas. Highlight are generally good form everyone but shadows seem to be the hard one to remember.

I would change the BUICK type to be another color or outline it in black and fill with white or shirt color. Reason being, is that BLACK on the last part is very hard to read or see up against that dark blue.

Outside of that, the anatomy of the car is well done. Many don't get all of the details.

virgil427:
I see what both of you are saying I am gonna change the text it is wrong. How do you get the wet look i tried every color pallet i have and couldn't get it , is it some artist secret that comes with a secret handshake as far as the color of the car a grand national is black everywhere black . I'm going to go in and redo the shading like Dan suggested. I hope to print this for a suprise for my nephew so he can have the shirts with his car on them when he drives it on the power tour this june.Thanks for taking the time to critique this project gave me some fresh ideas.I'll post it agian see if I went in the right direction.

tpitman:
What makes something look "wet" or shiny is the reflections. On painted curved surfaces you're gonna get a distorted, relatively low-contrast image with sharp edges. It's all in the edges.
Look closely at some of the other car artists "paint jobs". It's a case where you have to look for the "trees" in the "forest".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version