Author Topic: Non Phthalate Inks  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Lizard

Non Phthalate Inks
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »
So we have been mostly switched over for a year plus now and I gotta tell ya this stuff sucks.  Its like learning to print all over again but with a lot more limitations.  Inks stick like crazy, they absolutely hate any kind of heat, buildup is like clay, have to use different meshes, and the big one is after printing for about an hour the ink turns to a big ball of gum inside the screen.

So Tonyp, Jsheridan, Bim, Clark, anyone else... how are you dealing with this stuff.  I can't be alone.  I have tried running with one flash, two flashes, three flashes...  this stuff is killing me.   It took us 6 hours today to run 1500 shirts.  Now that was a little unusual but this stuff is awfull.

Anyone having any luck?
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Non Phthalate Inks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
What are you using? I use International Coatings and it's pretty much exactly the same. Or are you talking about PVC free cuz that stuff sucks!

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:08:22 AM »
We're rolling in the Non Phthalate inks now from Union. So far so good. The only exception as told to me by my supplier is that the Floro Pink doesn't match colors with the Phthalate version.
BTW, if your not shouting on the rooftops to your customers that you're using Non Phthalate's, you should. Even if they don't know what it is, you still look like a hero and you look like you know your sh!t.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:26:43 AM »
Can you tell us what ink line you are using?

Many of us have seen and or printed with most inks out there.  We can fill in the details for ya.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:01:25 AM »
Holy hell, what ink are you running?  Gummed up ink in the screen?  Yikes..... 

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:32:22 AM »
 I use both Wilflex Epic and QCM and haven't had any issues that I
didn't have with the "old" inks. Flash times are good and actually
less buildup with the exception of some of the QCM high opacity
inks (which I seldom use).

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:07 AM »
Only using the Epic Quick White so far. Actually works well on both cotton and poly blends. Streetfighter white coming in next week for a test. Haven't completely switched over on colors. Wilflex has not finished converting but so far so good. Maybe this is a case of those who finish last come out ahead?
I'll check in in a couple of months.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »
We use Rutland M3. It works ok on short runs but if we have thousands of pieces to run it is a real challenge.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225