Author Topic: Union Ink  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Union Ink
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Digging this up from the grave.

We are having issues with the very runny nature of the Union Soft Ink... notably the blues (Mono Blue being the last one we really used).  It became quite runny and was giving my printer hell of getting it all over the place.  Granted I didn't see how he was handling it but I know he got to the point of taping the outside of the frames so when it would get nasty he would just pull off the tape and retape.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
I use a lot of Union, much of it Ultrasoft, and have not really experienced this, but perhaps you should spring for some PLUS-9114, Union's thickening paste, as John S. suggested a year ago in this very thread when Wayne described his Union Black as too runny.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »
I use a lot of Union, much of it Ultrasoft, and have not really experienced this, but perhaps you should spring for some PLUS-9114, Union's thickening paste, as John S. suggested a year ago in this very thread when Wayne described his Union Black as too runny.

I read his recommendation, was just wondering about a second opinion or a voice like yours that says "I shouldn't worry about it."

We all know how inexperienced I am.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
I've used union's ultrasoft and maxopaque for years and have not had any "runny ink issues", but I've never used that blue.  It's always of a good consistency and very solid, soft, short bodied.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »
A little curious as to it's storage conditions, like was it especially warm at the time? Was it stirred well? Is this new from Union or part of a good deal on Craigslist?
I suggest that tomorrow, you call and talk to a tech and asked if this is typical with that color or perhaps they know of a problem batch.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »
A little curious as to it's storage conditions, like was it especially warm at the time? Was it stirred well? Is this new from Union or part of a good deal on Craigslist?
I suggest that tomorrow, you call and talk to a tech and asked if this is typical with that color or perhaps they know of a problem batch.

LOL... bought it from Reece... they do pour their own quarts so who knows what they might have done there.

AC'd shop though they AC isn't working properly (leak somewhere)... still under no more than 90 degrees.

Don't stir the blue because it's moving pretty well right away... though working it on the screen like we were definitely gets it moving even more so!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:21 AM »
The question of stirring was in case it separated, leaving you soup on top and the more solid goodies below.

Actually, now that you say that Reece divvies it up themselves, I also wonder how well it is mixed before.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:32:10 AM by Frog »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »
our problem with the Union Ultrasoft blue shade inks had always been that they are too stiff and we often have to add some reducer. It is strange that your's would be the opposite.

Call Union and ask to talk to Joe Catizone. They will replace it for you, but will require the purchase receipt. Now that I think about it, call your supplier first!

pierre
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:34:44 AM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
I'm |  | <--- this close to being done with Reece.  The only factor that keeps me ordering is they have regular deliveries on Tues. and Thurs. for free to my town.  This is very convenient.

But they have NEVER got an order right and last time they go it "right" but didn't check to make sure the scoop coater didn't have any gaps like I requested.

Basically I have zero faith that calling Reece will get me anywhere at this point.

Offline cclaud3

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
I'm 90% Union Ink from Reece. All except 2 are Plus/Ultrasoft, those 2 others being Maxopake. Everything seems ok. Blues are thin, Navy is a little thicker. Stored in a room next to the 107 degree printing area.
I had some IC Black from another place that I just about had to tilt the screen and pour it back into the container. Couldn't pick it up with anything.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »

We are having issues with the very runny nature of the Union Soft Ink... notably the blues (Mono Blue being the last one we really used).  It became quite runny and was giving my printer hell of getting it all over the place.  Granted I didn't see how he was handling it but I know he got to the point of taping the outside of the frames so when it would get nasty he would just pull off the tape and retape.

Thats not the inks fault  its your printer. He should be able to handle a wide range of ink viscosities and stay clean. You should be shadowing him some and see what his issue is. I have had guys that just look at ink and get it on them selves and some like me and never get it on their hands.
"No man is an island"

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
Nonetheless, unadulterated Union Ultrasoft should not be "pourable" out of the bucket.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »
I get my union from Macbee supply out of texas and I,ve gotten a gal of black ink that was a little runny, but the only problem is getting it back in the can without making a mess, prints fine.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »

Thats not the inks fault  its your printer. He should be able to handle a wide range of ink viscosities and stay clean. You should be shadowing him some and see what his issue is. I have had guys that just look at ink and get it on them selves and some like me and never get it on their hands.

I'm with you... my wife and to a lesser degree myself don't get ink on ourselves either.  He's ALWAYS got ink on him.  Basically looks at it and it gets on him type of guy as well.  It's almost impressive. ;)

I agree he should manage it better.  I try to shadow him a good bit and mention things I see when I can... but recently I've had so much to do that I wasn't able to be there.  One thing I notice is he flings the squeegee around WAY too much and I try to tell him but once you are in a groove you don't notice these things.

He tried to blame the squeegee for the heads getting ink on them and I said "tell me how an inanimate object is to blame for the ink getting ever where?" ;)

And Andy, it's not POUR-ABLE per say but when it's moving it is pretty thin.  That is another reason for bumping the topic, to make sure I am experiencing the same thing and I'm not just complaining about a regular ink being a regular ink vs a problem ink.