Author Topic: So I walked...  (Read 10398 times)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: So I walked...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »
i'd hire you for a couple weeks.

I think we are going to have to hire again here.  I've been holding off for as long as possible.

Funny thing, when all of our equipment is working well and we don't stop to fix things, we get more work done in less time...thus avoiding overtime.

same here, ever up in NY, blow on through and clean this mess up, I'm sure you could whip us into shape.

Funny how many of us are like "EFF YEAH, HELP US" and this dude you worked for is like" EFF NO, I'm fine"... while he's the one needing the most help....too bad, better off not letting your skills go to waste on a place so ungrateful...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »
Yeah you are a survivor!
Any shop or industry would benefit from your skills, not to
mention our outlook on life.

Get that resume and move on up!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
so I see everybody here is offering a printer position, if you are interested we could talk about a production manger spot.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 11:17:04 AM »
You should do a USA tour, go work in a few shops for a few weeks at a time.  Improve them, leave.  Do this until you are rich or until you find something local.  OR move to one of those shops that you really like.

You could become like Tony P... I left the shop I started at after 18 years to start my own, but I left on very good terms. My biggest problem was the rest of the staff except the art director, didn't believe in using tight screens, proper inks, etc. Everything was by the seats of their pants, and that just didn't work for me. No matter what I tried to do, the end result was out of my hands, and suffered for it. I would find their closest competitor and think about working for them... sorry for your frustrations, but I'm sure the dust will settle and you'll land on your feet.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
It's REALLY hard to deal with another shop. Especially one that doesn't invest any time, money or energy into improvement.

i lost count of how many shops I worked in that were like that.

good for you

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
so I see everybody here is offering a printer position, if you are interested we could talk about a production manger spot.

pierre
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
It wasn't the place with all the hippies was it? Human something or another?

We just hired a production manager, but if the right candidate was willing to commute....

That said, I think you know that you're the captain and not the skipper.
So make it hap'n cap'n. Let me know if you need anything at all.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 01:38:17 PM »
It just blows me away how some shops rush jobs and don't maintain there equipment seen to be doing very good and because you'd like to see things a little better that could save them money in the long run you got to go hmmm.  I'm not saying I got the best equipment in the world but I try my best to put out a good product and having someone that wants the same thing would be a blessing good luck to you Evo.

darryl

Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »

That said, I think you know that you're the captain and not the skipper.
So make it hap'n cap'n. Let me know if you need anything at all.

+1
If you decide to go on your own again and I can help in any way, let me know!

pierre
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:49:27 PM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
Run on the old equipment, the smallest staff physically possible, never update a process or a way of doing things, and no money for fixing or replacing broken things.  Then on top of that they let someone as talented as Evo leave? 

Writing is on the wall there. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
you'd be surprised, we have the same type shop less than a mile from us.  Nasty building, beat to hell press, oven that is barely hanging on, and not a nickle to rub together.  The owners pull out all the money they can and spend no money fixing things until it stops production...and I mean STOPS.  We had the same press and they were constantly borrowing parts that should be standard to keep as backups.

It's the old school print shop mentality.  I love to send people over there just to see the trainwreck...and it is.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »
All I can say is..........their loss. 

Sounds like you'll come out of it better than they will.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 12:45:57 AM »
it is not about what an ass hat that shop was it is about you , your talent and better yet your balls to Johnny Paycheck their ass.
The value you have is multi sided not the least of which is  problem / fix mentality which is exactly what you have done for yourself by bailing out on these clowns.
Attitude is EVERYTHING and personality counts best of all talent always finds work unfortunately in the screen printing business there seems to be a lot of bottom line bosses who do not realize the best art, best autos, best ink are not worth jack shirt without the best employees.
I think you did your self a huge favor today...................
best of luck
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »
Wow I really appreciate the sentiments here. Honestly.

I will say the one good thing about working at that shop was they were flexible with my touring schedule with my music career, which is actually my main thing. I've been doing that going on 30 years now and it won't stop. (I often make better money with it anyway)

I was always up front about that, from the first interview. Luckily my touring schedule is planned months (even a year or more) in advance.

Also, the people on the shop floor were very hard working and very sweet. The main press op (he's been there 10+ years) is a fantastic printer. However he just works with what is provided and has learned not to ask for anything. (learned...more like defeated). He's a stone cold pro at work-arounds. Which is awesome and sad at the same time.

But yeah, I just don't understand letting the gear go south. It's a print shop. That stuff ain't cheap.

There was no maintenance program to speak of when I started there. They had a six year old 10 color press running and brought over another 8 color from a shop they'd bought out, and it had NEVER been oiled or drained, and was run on wet air. 4 years of production before I started there and when I started checking everything out I saw the moisture trap was actually packed full of rust and sediment.

No seriously, it looked like Hawaiian clay soil, packed into the trap.

And the compressor tank had never been drained in the 3 years since it was installed. I emptied out 40+ gallons of oily water from it.
 :o

I should have ran screaming the first month but I was determined to turn the shop around.

HAH! Nice try.

Note: not trying to vent so much as give warning here. MAINTAIN THE GEAR AND MOST IMPORTANTLY IMPROVE YOUR PROCESS KIDS!! Always look ahead and plan for max production, especially at the slowest times. When it kicks into high gear, you don't have time to fix what's wrong.

So my next move may or may not be in screen printing at all. If it is it may be part time or split between a couple places.

I actually like the thought of a screen printing tour. I am road crew, through and through. Maybe I could work trade shows... I use to do event and stage production. I did massive installs at venues in SF and Oakland.

Hmm....
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 07:03:16 AM »
Dude, winter is on it's way and everyone knows MN is where you want to be in the winter! Hit me up man. Think about it, white plastisol so thick you swear it had cured already in the bucket, ice covered roads that make you question if you are really going to make it to work, I can go on but I imagine you are already buying your ticket! ;D

If your tour does actually bring you through the Midwest let me know. Good luck man!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com