Author Topic: Heat Press  (Read 8787 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Heat Press
« on: September 25, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Looks like I'm in the market for a new heat press.

What ya got and are ya really really happy with it?

I saw and really like the Hix HT 400, but a part-time guy like me ain't got them kind of shekels to toss around  ;)

So looking for reasonable, not cheap, but good.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Heat Press
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »
I picked up a VERY old 16x20 analog geoknight from some woman on craigslist for $100 bucks a few years ago.  The temp control had some kind of issue when I got it in my shop.  At first I was a little disappointed cause it was so old but in such good shape otherwise.

I called up geoknight and not only did they have the parts in stock for a machine that is easily 20+ years old, but they shipped quick and were cheap, and they emailed step by step instructions on how to fix it.  They also sell conversion kits if I want to make the press digital.

It works like a champ and I use it all the time.  I really cant stress how awesome dealing with them was and how great the quality of the machine is.  Next time I'm in the market I am going with them no question...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 12:42:03 AM »

I saw and really like the Hix HT 400, but a part-time guy like me ain't got them kind of shekels to toss around  ;)

So, you determined that your problems were due to cold spots in the heat platen?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:53 AM »
I have a newish Geo Knight K20 (I believe) that I picked up used for around $800.  Great press, digital and auto release. I would recommend it.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:07:25 AM »
Air operated=best

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 07:27:39 AM »
Air operated=best

Agree 100% with Tony, an air machine will make your life and product much better.

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
I have Hotronix Fusion 16x20 and a Geo Knight DK16 (14x16)
Fusion is a beast, I would love to have an air operated, but being a home based in my basement, air compressor is a no-go.
Originally, DK 16 was all, and I almost sold it when I got fusion. But with me doing a bit of sublimation I decided to keep it. It heats up a lot faster than Fusion and it is perfect for smaller jobs.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 08:44:56 AM »
I have both Hix and Geo Knight Presses.....IMO the DK20 holds pressure to the edge better and and I really like the way it opens....Both Hix and Geo Knight has lots of parts and help available...

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »
We're using a 16x20 Phoenix Phire, which I believe is a re-branded Hotronix STX20. We like it. It pops/unlocks itself when it it is done, but it does not actually auto-open.

The newer ones have a true auto-open and something which actually has settings for pressure. If we got a new heat press I'd like those features. I'd also like something with quick change pallets on our next one.

Air would be really sweet, but we don't do nearly enough heat pressing right now to justify the expense.

Offline islandtees

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
We have 3 Hotronix Hover presses and 1 Hix air press.  All good presses.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »

So, you determined that your problems were due to cold spots in the heat platen?

Andy, a few years back I had a local place press some numbers on a few shirts. They were awesome to offer a test using the ink jet transfer. Had a hix ht 400 and the same peel that never came off for me, peeled right off for them. So whatever is wrong almost has to be my used hix swingaway. So checking my options.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:52:32 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »

Andy, a few years back I had a local place press see one numbers on a few shirts. They were awesome to offer a test using the ink jet transfer. Had a hix ht 400 and the same peel that never came off for me, peeled right off for them. So whatever is wrong almost has to be my used hix swingaway. So checking my options.

Well, you can check the platen with heat strips, and/or your non-contact gun. The gun won't give you an accurate temp, but will show consistency. Also, is there any chance that your pad is so worn in spots that you get uneven pressure?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
I'm kind of at wits end.  The unit really looks in great shape.  Pad looks nice and even and not worn.  I know what the settings were that the place did on the trial run yesterday.  I did notice they had quite a bit of pressure.  I thought I had a lot of pressure, but I'll give it one more shot tomorrow at about the same settings and even more pressure.  I'll post the results.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »
I'm kind of at wits end.  The unit really looks in great shape.  Pad looks nice and even and not worn.  I know what the settings were that the place did on the trial run yesterday.  I did notice they had quite a bit of pressure.  I thought I had a lot of pressure, but I'll give it one more shot tomorrow at about the same settings and even more pressure.  I'll post the results.

I am still curious if you get consistent heat readings over all of your heat platen. They do develop cold dead spots as they start to die.

I never asked you if there was any consistency to the location of the problem areas.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 10:57:40 PM »
I don't really think it's from cold spots. 

I had an 11 inch wide sofstretch image that I tried pressing more than once and I could not peel any of it off without it ripping in shreds.  I was watching them press with the Hix clamshell and he put some umph on it.  Mine is a swingaway and I thought I had a lot of pressure but I'll try to max it tomorrow and see.