Author Topic: Photo Transfer for 100% cotton?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Photo Transfer for 100% cotton?
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:13:26 PM »
I have a customer who wants an image on a small number of shirts.  He wants either a 100% cotton or a 50/50 blend, and I was wondering what kind of transfer would be ideal and where I could source them.  I haven't really done transfers like this on cotton so any info is helpful.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Photo Transfer for 100% cotton?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
Stahl's/Transfer Express...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »
On white (or very very light) cotton, 50/50, or poly, I love the pigment inkjet Jet Pro Soft Stretch paper from Neenah. No hand after the first wash!

For colors, I still haven't found one that I would wear myself with a full sized print (though I make and sell opaque inkjet transfers for those who understand and except their drawbacks. With the print and cut types, I find similar hand issues, but better opacity than the Neenah products.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
I'll look into the stahls pricing.  Thanks!

What would I need to print these in house for one offs and the like?  Just an inkjet with pigment inks instead of dye inks?  I could for example purchase another epson 1400 and use pigment inks instead and print these with the paper you mentioned?  I know that may not be the best price-wise, but it would be nice to do these kinds of jobs inhouse in a few hours...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
I'll look into the stahls pricing.  Thanks!

What would I need to print these in house for one offs and the like?  Just an inkjet with pigment inks instead of dye inks?  I could for example purchase another epson 1400 and use pigment inks instead and print these with the paper you mentioned?  I know that may not be the best price-wise, but it would be nice to do these kinds of jobs inhouse in a few hours...

That's what I do, but as I said, I am only really happy with the stuff for white, but I do a crap load of this stuff. Just did one an hour ago.
If you don't mind the onesie-twosie orders, this can really fit the bill and fill the need.
I've been saying for a few years now, DTG didn't put this out of business, it made the transfer material folks step up their game.

And, btw, I get great films with pigment ink on WP films.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »
interesting...so I could flush my current printer and start over with pigment and do both?  I'm definitely going to look into this asap.  What settings are you using for heatpressing?  Have you had great/poor experiences with any particular shirt styles?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
On my WF1100, Mostly, as I said, the Jet Pro Soft Stretch
Paper Type - Plain paper/Bright White
Quality  - Fine  (I don't use photo anymore as it lays down more ink than needed. I use Text and Graphics)
Color Management - ICM  - the profile downloaded form my ink company, Cobra

On photos especially, I also generally lighten them up a bit with Gamma to the point where a little experience lets me get it back to where it should be as these transfers darken up a bit.

The smoother the shirt, the nicer the result, but I do great with plain old PC61's all day long. Ribs, fuggedaboudit! I warn folks the highs and lows can make for real problems. They will get stripes. Same problem with rough canvas bags. Neenah has other products for that.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member