Author Topic: Cleaning screens?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline islandtees

Re: Cleaning screens?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »

We have a septic and would like to go that route but we worry about ink in the septic.

septic.. if you're not hooked up to city sewer then the last thing you want in that hole is printing chemicals.
You have septic and doing it this way?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
We use the plastic drywall/putty knives, and do round the corners. I'd bet the metal ones work better
and are probably easier to clean but I don't know how we wouldn't rip screens with them around here.
Drop one and you're done son.

I'm largely interested in reducing chemical and water usage as well as exposure to the screen dude.
Greg's video the other day was eye opening in that regard, more akin to how I use to clean flatstock
screens rather than textile.

Do automatic screen reclaim machines actually work? It seems like that would be the area to invest in...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
We started seeing weird worm like lines in our mesh once coated.  Under a loop you could see slight abrasions in the area.

After much discussion and pondering we came to the conclusion it was our plastic ink scoops (the good ones) that was causing this as the corners were scoring the mesh when we carded off ink.

We no only use rounded plastic spatulas and Business cards to card off ink

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
Gilligan, thanks, I was wondering what was causing those worm like lines on the screens.
We use plastic spatulas, now I have the answer.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
even with the metal knife you should round the corners and break the edges of the blade.
We hit them with a disc sander to bust down the corners then hand sand them with 220 grit wet dry silicon sandpaper, the automotive (black) kind.
Also if you are using  a scrub pad to spread around your reclaim check it for dried and hardened reclaim gook. That crap will cut a screen faster than a putty knife!!!!!
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.