Author Topic: What sort of support do you expect to get with your gas dryer  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
What sort of support do you expect to get with your gas dryer
« on: October 18, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
So when you spend over $30000 on a new gas dryer 2.5 years ago what would you expect in terms of support from the manufacturer in case it breaks down. How long would you be OK to wait for it to be fixed? Would you expect an approach such as "try changing this part first and see if it works then" and in case it does not " we send you another part"?
Would that be acceptable to you? Or would you rather think they should send a tech out right away? 

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: What sort of support do you expect to get with your gas dryer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:01 PM »
So when you spend over $30000 on a new gas dryer 2.5 years ago what would you expect in terms of support from the manufacturer in case it breaks down. How long would you be OK to wait for it to be fixed? Would you expect an approach such as "try changing this part first and see if it works then" and in case it does not " we send you another part"?
Would that be acceptable to you? Or would you rather think they should send a tech out right away?

What sort of problems? May I ask who is the manufacturer. With M&R they have had me try and figure out the problem, when we figured out the correct item they did allow me to send back wrong items and get credit minus freight. No restock fee.

Shane

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:14:03 AM »
I don`t  want to throw out any names yet but it`s not M&R, I`m sure they would have fixed it already. We are going now into the second week without a dryer which really starts to cause problems and we are nowhere near to knowing what the exact cause is for the burner not to kick in. At one stage the manufacturer started to blame our low gas pressure even though it has not changed over the last 2 years.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:26:35 AM »
Its not an acceptable practice to send "one" part to change. You would be surprised how many companies do this and the problem goes on for weeks. If that is the route a company is taking they should at least send all the parts that it could possibly be in one package instead of waiting for the next part to change to arrive. Or in your case a complete assembly to just change out and be done with it. When the problem is resolved send whats not needed back, many times the customer will purchase the parts to keep on hand anyway. But there is always the "no returns on electrical parts" issue.

If its still under warranty and the machine is down it should be a top priority to get a tech on site asap with the understanding the customer will be paying some of the techs expenses. Out of warranty as long as your willing to pay again machine down a tech should be made available if you choose.

If they think its a pressure issue a simple gauge or even a home made manometer would put it to rest quickly. If your getting good flow and gas pressure more then likely its an electrical problem, maybe in the safety circuit, pressure switch, solenoid valves.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
What is the problem you are having? Chances are you may get better help here! Binkspot knows his stuff. Also if the dryer happens to be made by a company that uses Pantone 185 or so;) I have had to re do a ton of things on ours and I may be able to help also, PM me if you like.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
We bought a dryer from a British Company.
Well anyway, the burner does not kick in for more then 3 seconds,then the recycle fan kicks in nd the burner will try to restart again after roughly 1 minute. Then the same happens again. Sometimes we are lucky and we get the burner to kick in and then we are good to go for the day. But honestly that takes a lot of time and I could not tell what it depends on. Now we have very low gas pressure, apparently, but that was no problem so far, the dryer was running fine for 2 years on that same pressure. The electrodes in the burner where too far apart but we have adjusted that but it did not fix the problem. They considering to send a new burner in case the next parts don`t help:(

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »
I'm sorry this my be a stupid question but, have you replaced the sparkplug & ignition rod? I would assume this is the first thing they had you try, but just checking.

Murphy37

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »
And yes I think its very common practice for manufacturers to try & get you to fix the problem first but, as soon as you ask for a technician that should be it & they should be scheduled to come out & fix it.

Murphy37

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »
And yes I think its very common practice for manufacturers to try & get you to fix the problem first but, as soon as you ask for a technician that should be it & they should be scheduled to come out & fix it.

Murphy37

I think the speed at which a technician is dispatched would be dependent on the level of service contract you buy.....It may be that the manufacturer is just living up to the their obligations under the contract....

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »
It could be many things.
If you  have a low pressure condition existing could be the pressure switch is border line between making and breaking. When it first starts the rush of gas could cause a pressure loss momentarily and shut the system down. We are at the end of a major line, every three months they test the gas at my building for odder. When they do my pressure drop for a few min and I can hear the switch tripping out on low pressure. 
It could also be a faulty or dirty fire sensor, I don't know if it uses a flame eye or rod.
Maybe a weak transformer, from what you said I assume it has electrodes instead of a spark plug? Did you adjust the electrodes because they were burnt? I would guess unless the tips were burnt and it's been running there should be no adjustment needed.

What royster said I agree with but if a machine is down the service department should make it a priority to get it resolved.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:54:37 AM by Binkspot »

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
Well anyway, the burner does not kick in for more then 3 seconds,then the recycle fan kicks in nd the burner will try to restart again after roughly 1 minute. Then the same happens again. Sometimes we are lucky and we get the burner to kick in and then we are good to go for the day. But honestly that takes a lot of time and I could not tell what it depends on. Now we have very low gas pressure, apparently, but that was no problem so far, the dryer was running fine for 2 years on that same pressure. The electrodes in the burner where too far apart but we have adjusted that but it did not fix the problem. They considering to send a new burner in case the next parts don`t help:(
I think your dryer was actually made in China. Is it an Adelco? Just asking as your troubleshooting depends on the brand.
Rich Hoffman

Offline BorisB

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
we have had same issues with probable same dryer brand. Viewing glass, UV detector, position of spark plug are things we checked and replaced.  I found local gas burner expert who we call when needed. He is independent technician for bakeries, big heating burners etc. I beleive you cannot have Steve from UK help in real time manner. Many gas burners operate in similar way, our dryers are not special in any way.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »
Satronic UV detector is most likely localy available. We keep spare one. Spark plug maybe moved, less likekly broken. Glass might be dirty or
scratched.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
this may not be it but we experience the same symptoms on our old Vortex. The only thing that solves the problem is replacing the wire that connects the spark plug to the transformer....I don't know what it is but every two months or so, we have to replace that piece of wire...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
I think your dryer was actually made in China. Is it an Adelco? Just asking as your troubleshooting depends on the brand.
Made in the UK, CPN.