Author Topic: WTF....  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Donnie

• !!!
WTF....
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »
gives with people.  The economy is bad and jobs are hard to get. I hired this kid to come in an help me around the shop. Works like a gang buster the first week. I Pay him and all of sudden he is late or doesn't show. To me it is simple, either you want to work or you don't want to work. I know you have all been through this BUT holy SH!t!  Thanks for the rant. That is all.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: WTF....
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »
sounds normal

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
yep they get a few dollars and they think they are RICH....it is amazing....we went through the same thing about 6 months ago...the kid did not work for 18 months and we gave him a job and after 2 paychecks he just went the hell in a handbasket....amazing...

Sam

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »
Dealing with the same thing right now. Almost fired her yesterday. Lets see if she makes it through today.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
You hire women?  They should be in the kitchen.  J/K

Seriously though, with the economy as bad as it is, you'd think people would care about working.  It goes to show you that a large chunk of people will never leave their economic status...because of themselves.  Yet they complain that everybody else is the reason for their troubles.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:47:12 PM »
This occurs less frequently in the large shops. The employees often police themselves, especially in cities like ATL where there is a diverse and quite willing workforce. There is a degree of cultural pride. The young American kids have it too good IMO.
Conversely in the large shops you often have the scenario where some young superstars learn to be great press ops by busting their ass for six months.......and subsequently slack off because "you need them".
I just start over with some new turk.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »
I've got a buddy who runs the US Airways desk in Gainesville, and he can't get anyone with an ounce of ambition. He's up front with the requirements, one of which is training in Charlotte, and within a couple of weeks they're whining. He cuts 'em loose. Can't figure why they take the job and then complain about having to work.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
I had my brother here from Serbia for 2.5 months (21 years old). I do not know if you know what the situation is over there, but I can tell you that it is not good. Economy is terrible, people work for $300-$400/month, and it is not much cheaper to live than here.
I tried to show him a bit about screen printing, tried to show him the plans for a simple presses (You know where from, T-Shirt forum) and to teach him the basics (That is all I know). He is finishing college, but there is no chance he will find a job after he is done next year, so I thought that he can start up a small shop where he can produce a few hundred shirts a month. He was interested for about 30 minutes, and then he realized that he will actually need to do something. You know, WORK.
I'm 34, and I can still say that I remember how it was when I was 21, but C'Mon. These kids today take everything for granted, they think that money grows on trees.
I'm afraid for my two kids, but hopefully, I'll have enough time to keep them in check with reality.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
it is much easier to get 120 weeks of unemployment...which you don't have to do squat for, than it is to actually work.

cut the entitlements and watch the workforce improve.  Without the prospect of free money, actually earning it looks a lot better.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »
Your bad experiences with young (single) guys are why my last employer paid me pressman's wages to clean and reclaim!
Grunt work, but for the want of a nail...

Todd Rundgren - Want of a Nail
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the clip Andy. Off topic I can't help mentioning that while I can't say we are friends Todd and I have met on several occaisons and I can't tell you what a tremendously genuine and generous guy he is. We even hand delivered merch to him at the Mohecan Sun once and for that he bought us dinner.
I doubt I'll ever meet anyone so talented ever again. Been a fan forever.
tp

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
You hire women?  They should be in the kitchen.  J/K

Seriously though, with the economy as bad as it is, you'd think people would care about working.  It goes to show you that a large chunk of people will never leave their economic status...because of themselves.  Yet they complain that everybody else is the reason for their troubles.

LOL this one would burn it down. Shes here as a favor for a broker that brings me work. Worst mistake I have made. No more favors.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
I don't know where you guys are getting the "kids today" bs from but I can absolutely, guarantee you , that your grandfather/great-grandfather thinks you are a lazy piece of sh!t. You only work 80 hours a week? OSHA? Turn down PITA jobs?
The kids that bail aren't going somewhere else to be broke, they're going somewhere else to do a job that they like/pays better.
I get sick and tired of hearing about the "kids today" crap.  I have respect for "kids today" and I'm not embarrassed to say that.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
HAHAHA, ok, you keep telling yourself that.  You would not believe how many absolutely stupid and unmotivated kids there are out there.  How many people have you hired in the last 5 years?

From the sounds of it, not many. 

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »
Bobby

the sad part is that some of the people we have had are in the late 30's...old people you know....and they still want to just talk or text on their cell phones...or just hang out and do nothing...

Sam