Author Topic: guns, guns and more guns . . .  (Read 34198 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
I'm a newbie in the gun world. Just got my first one and still trying to become a good shot. Just a little Beretta 9mm. I think it's good for starters. I really wanted to learn for protecting my family and property first. Maybe I can get something better down the road.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Clark

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Awesome thread.  Those are some nice pieces Chris and Pierre, I'd love to move into something like that.  I'm thinking of selling one of my shotguns that's worth about 1500 and buying a really nice 1911, but I just can't narrow it down.  There are so many badass pistols out there and deciding which one I want is next to impossible. 

Chris, who makes that rifle?  We do some things for Larue Tactical and they have some really nice guns and accessories.  I've been out to their facilities to deliver before and it's unbelievable.

If I was buying a 1911 right now it would a Wilson Combat, Colt, or a custom Kimber..springfield is excellent as well....But there are an enormous amount of people making 1911's.  WIlson combat mags are the only thing I put through that Colt of mine.

The rifle is WIlson Combat as well.  I would buy either the W.C., LaRue, or Noveske for AR15.  As far as accessories, well you're doing business with the premiere accessories man in the US.  Very few manuf. come close to LaRue, and IMHO, none are better.  Sounds like some trade-outs are in order.

Good thing about the AR15's and 1911's is you can customize them as you go.  So you can buy something like a  bushmaster or equivalent AR and then start adding Larue or Noveske parts as you need them. Same thing with the 1911.  Mine says Colt on the outside, but on the inside is almost entirely Wilson.

Offline Clark

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
I'm a newbie in the gun world. Just got my first one and still trying to become a good shot. Just a little Beretta 9mm. I think it's good for starters. I really wanted to learn for protecting my family and property first. Maybe I can get something better down the road.

Not sure what model you got but Beretta is a great gun....it's the sidearm of the US Military.  At least for now, I hear they are changing make and caliber soon.  But alot of Taliban and al Qaida have been killed with a Beretta 9.

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:39 PM »
Here's Mine...bring it Bitches!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
Trust me Chris, a 1911 is on the list for future purchase.  I'm working my way up to that level.  I've got a weird doucher infatuation with the Desert Eagle that I've been trying to fight so wish me luck with that.

Desert Eagles are awesome. I've shot a buddies a couple times.  I'm the same with tactical ar-15's right now...

Here's my 1911.  Bout the only stock thing on it is the frame.

I carry a sig though..at least until I can afford a Wilson Combat compact 1911.

again, you have to try one of the SVI's to believe it.
mine is a 45 cal, and it holds 12 rounds in the clip. That is a lot of firepower (no, the 45 does not compare to DE's 50 cal), but the accuracy, fit and finish are incredible. Until I shot one of these I did not think that the gun makes a lot of difference. With my S&W I could barely hit the target (I am a revolver guy). Then I shot one of these and 10 out of 12 were in the bullseye. Had to have it! Spent some time looking around and found a used one about a month later.

similar to one I have:

pierre

Very Nice Pierre.  Have you shot any other 1911 models besides the Infinity, or was that the first one?

I have, but do not remember much. I have served in two different militaries and have plenty of experience with guns. The SVI (and the similar STI) are in a class of their own. Some of the more expensive H&K's and Sigs were close, but still not there. I have compared it to the Wilsons and Kimbers, even the tuned versions had 3-4 time more play than this gun. It all comes at a price though, last time I checked the used ones were about $2k. All my other guns combined do not add to the price of this one.

pierre 
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »

I have this unexplained fondness for the Berettas. Not many would make a better first gun.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
I'm with Dave, I just got into this little hobby about a year ago and I'm working my way up.  The gun hobby will definitely cut into my watch collecting, but I'm ok with it.

I'd love to start doing some trade with Larue, but accounting wouldn't be too happy!
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »

I'd love to start doing some trade with Larue, but accounting wouldn't be too happy!

Who says that the accounting needs to know???  ;D

Offline terryei

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »
I carry (well kind of not real happy that the ONLY state in the Union, Ill.  does NOT have a conceal and carry law) inside the business, a little Taurus 380.  I've had it for years and really like it.  Home, The Judge.  Neat little gun.
Interesting story, when I moved to a new location, the old place was broken into 6 times in 2 months, the local polce paid us a visit.  They asked what we do for security, I showed him all the cameras, inside, and he asked non outside.  Nope.  That's so I can prove I shot them in the building.  He asked to see my gun.  I un-loaded it and handed it to him.  He said good idea.  Look at this.  Un-holstered his Kimber, un-loaded it and handed it to me.  Nice gun.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »
My dad was going to buy The Judge a few weeks ago but he hasn't done it yet. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Northland

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
... don't know squat about guns, but have a 1911 Ithaca that I inherited from my father. He bought it for about $12 from the government (as an NRA member in the 60's).
It's got the rough green military finish... not much to look at, but it would do the job in a pinch.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »
I’m not a big collector, but I do carry a Glock 9... Yes a Glock  :P

For the price, and based on the reviews I read at the time, seemed like a great gun for the money. I have put at least 1k down the range without a jam, and it’s very accurate, plus 13 rounds in a pinch I’m gonna hit ya  ;D.... I would like a larger caliber H&K, Kimber, or Sig for my next one, but since I already have one, hard to justify the funds right now  :(

You may proceed to make fun of me now  ;)
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
I have too many - some never fired and some pretty rough.  A Type 38 Arisaka from Iwo Jima (my dad was there on LST-587) is my historical favorite with a Colt 1860 Army a close second.  Lately I've been taking a Win model '12 12ga to the trap range - got a matching 16ga that's more fun to shoot and much easier on the old shoulder but shells are so much more expensive. Usually wind up shooting the 12ga from the very back of the arc.  Colt Woodsman MT to the pistol range.  Got my eye on a .22 Beretta for a plinker.  There've been a lot of people on the rifle range this summer so i've kind of stayed away from there. 
steve

Offline Clark

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
I’m not a big collector, but I do carry a Glock 9... Yes a Glock  :P

For the price, and based on the reviews I read at the time, seemed like a great gun for the money. I have put at least 1k down the range without a jam, and it’s very accurate, plus 13 rounds in a pinch I’m gonna hit ya  ;D.... I would like a larger caliber H&K, Kimber, or Sig for my next one, but since I already have one, hard to justify the funds right now  :(

You may proceed to make fun of me now  ;)

I started on Glock.  Still have a 9, .40, and a .45.  They really are great guns.  I naturally point a 1911 better and I like the feel of a cold stainless steel 1911 .45 better.  You can put those glocks through alot of sh!t and they just keep on firing. 

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »

Not sure what model you got but Beretta is a great gun....it's the sidearm of the US Military.  At least for now, I hear they are changing make and caliber soon.  But alot of Taliban and al Qaida have been killed with a Beretta 9.

It's a Px4 Storm,17 round clip. I may not have a  good aim yet, but with that many chances, I think I'll get ya.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA