Author Topic: Screen printing "gym bags"  (Read 830 times)

Offline Appstro

Screen printing "gym bags"
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »
I have a customer that wants his gym name (3 colors - red white and silver/gray) screen printed onto a black gym bag. I have nver done anything like this so naturally I wanted to ask what I need to do here. I know there are low cure additives for stuff like this, but beyond that I am pretty much lost. The bags are black and appear to be a fabric or polypropylene outer with a thin vinyl backing ( inside). Any and all advice here would be awesome. He says that he wants to keep it local and plans on doing at least 20 bags. He also wants to know pricing for each placement. There can be as many as 4 placements of the same image on these bags.  I was thinking like $6.00 a placement. So his bag cost him like $25.00 and 4 placements would be another $24.00 so total would be $49.00 a bag and he would sell them for $69.00.... Does that sound good or am I being too cheap? I am doing all this on a manual press.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Screen printing "gym bags"
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
I'd do these as screened transfers if I were you!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:06:12 AM »
Not impossible but falls under "should you". 4 placements/3 colors/ flashing/ lining. Screw one up you're out $25. You do the math and calculate the risk factor.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:10:06 AM »
With screen printing especially, but not always easy with heat press either, is the problem sometimes of special boards or jigs to be able to decorate a particular location.
Pockets, seams, handles can all add up to a an unconventional item. You are also looking at four possible times to screw up a bag.

It is very likely that some sort of transfer, either screen printed or print and cut will make the job go easier.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:26:10 AM »
I'd order transfers for that, though we have 1000 piece order for a 2-color print, and after careful consideration, we're screening them. The printer who will print them is a 25 year vet...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Appstro

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »
Thanks everyone. I am definitely getting the transfers. If I use transfer express, is there a particular type of transfer I should be looking for, for use on the gym bag?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
You need to confirm what it's made of. The screen printed transfers will not adhere to nylon, but, print and cut vinyl is available in a nylon-friendly version.

I would also practice press one without a transfer to make sure that the lining can handle the heat.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?