Author Topic: Cheap screen racks  (Read 2836 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Cheap screen racks
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »
Don't know if this has been done before, but if it has I haven't seen it.  Mimosatexas started the wheels turning in my head when he mentioned using wood to widen a sheet pan rack, so credit to him for that. Once I had the racks with the intention of going that route, my printer came up with this idea. It's worked out great for us and is pretty easy to do so I figured I'd share.

1. Find cheap sheet pan racks (bakers racks, speed racks) on Craigslist.  I found a guy selling a bunch for $30 each fairly easily.  They're out there if you look.

2. Take racks apart, keeping only the two sides.

3. Pull some of those old, beat to death statics out of storage. 

4. There are usually three support levels on a standard speed rack. Top, bottom and middle. Line up the side of a static with the existing holes on the rack and drill completely through.  Repeat for all levels on both sides, using three screens.

5. Get yourself some 3" bolts and nuts, 12 per rack.  Also pick up a bunch of washers.

6. Run the bolts through the outside of the rack, and use 4-5 of the washers between the inside of the rack and the frame.  This adds a little space making it easier when sliding your screens in and out.  Repeat.  With a little creative placement, you can retain every space on the rack for use.  A 23x31 setup will also hold 20x24 by angling the screens a bit.

7. Enjoy your new screen racks.  My cost for three was under $40/ea. 

Pics attached.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Cheap screen racks
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
Added benefit of using screens with mesh on the top and bottom is they act as a filter to block some of the ambient dust that might get kicked up or settle onto drying emulsion.  Good stuff!

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:30:57 AM »
Thanks for this! I was going to use some all thread to extend them but this might work better. I like the kinda sorta filter part too.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:41:50 AM »
Been doing something similar since forever. Thanks for sharing. If you're lucky you can find bakers racks that don't need adjustments. Even on St. Thomas we found a baker that was going out of business and we snagged four racks that accommodated 23x31s perfectly. Also snagged up some stainless stuff for pre-press. Used restaurant supply companies are your friend.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:01:16 AM »
I just cut them down the center and add fillers either 3/4" copper tubing or wood strips cut 3/4" sq, sheet metal screws to hold them.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:03:21 AM »
Or get a L shaped metal piece from Home Depot and use self drilling screws to attach the profile to the screen holder that is cut in the middle. Like Binkspod did with the copper pipe.