Author Topic: Vastex Training Course? Any good?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline digdug18

Vastex Training Course? Any good?
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
Vastex has a 3 day course to introduce a newbie, like myself the art of screen printing.

http://www.vastex.com/Training-Classes/Training-Classes2-1.php

Has anyone taken here taken this course or other courses by them?

I'm looking for an introduction, and $500 for 3 days, seems priced well. It's also only an hour from me.

Here's their description for the 2.1 course:

Our intensive three day hands-on training program is a well rounded class for both newcomers to the industry and experienced screen printers who need more technical training. This class will cover the entire screen printing process from start to finish teaching every student the fundamentals of screen printing that can shave months off of the learning curve and also eliminate traditional start up struggles for newbies. Also covered will be cost saving and troubleshooting techniques that will be essential for all shops.

Perfect Fit — Newbie or Veteran. Maybe you are looking to enter the
screen printing industry but have no clue where to begin. Or maybe you are an experienced screen printer who needs to overcome many of the ongoing technical problems that occur in almost every shop. No matter what your place in the industry this training class will be a perfect fit. On top of the fundamentals you will learn how to avoid the common problems many shops face that can result in months of wasted time, money and supplies. This training program is comprehensive enough to offer the most effective methods and advanced industry tips and techniques that will benefit every shop.
Hands On and Peer Interaction: Every student will be involved with the entire production cycle including taking a screen from start to printed product. Along with all of their classmates they will have the opportunity to degrease, coat and expose a screen along with all the subsequent preparation and cleaning of screen after printing. With each step you will have an open forum to interact with both the trainer and your peers. There is plenty of time to ask questions specific to your shop and situation.

Offline larryk

• !!!
Re: Vastex Training Course? Any good?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
Sounds like a good fit for you........ When we first were getting started my wife and I both took the class that Lawson had and it saved us a lot of headaches. Just be carefull of their sales tactics............ for equipment. If you don't need it.. don't buy it. Good luck and keep slinging that ink!

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
I haven't heard much about the Vastex school, but if you can wing the price of a flight/hotel, I'd highly recommend heading down to Austin for the School of Screenprinting.  Alan, a member of the forum here, runs the program and is one of the most knowledgeable guys around when it comes to putting ink on a shirt.  It was one of the best investments I ever made for my shop.

http://universaldomainexchange.com/school/
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »
I've been to a few of their one day classes and they were good and helpful. Will most likely send one of our part timers to the three day course in the near future. Mark the instructor has a good amount of real world experience.

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
digdug I second what Frog said, go to Austin and take Alan's class - www.schoolofscreenprinting.com I think is the site

Offline digdug18

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
I might at some point, but I'm thinking that for the cost basis, the vastex school could be a good place to start out. Yes, they'll try to sell me everything that they sell, but that's a given. I went to a LL Bean school and was given a 30% off coupon, didn't use it but still.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
douglas griger is teaching the Vastex classes and he is very knowledgeable. I would have no reservations recommending him. He might be more in tune with what you need than Alan (more of an intermediate to advanced skillset).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:58 PM »
digdug I second what Frog said, go to Austin and take Alan's class - www.schoolofscreenprinting.com I think is the site

Frog didn't say that,SQS did! Frog does say that while I'm sure that Alan does a fine job with Bill's school, Vastex is a lot more convenient for DigDug, and has been teaching folks for years.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 11:12:31 PM »
No clue how I got that mixed up frog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 06:36:32 AM »
We took several staffers to vastex to give them an overall look-see. These were staff not on the production floor. Worthy for an intro.
They push, we still pull on our manuals.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 08:07:52 AM »
Lets not leave out The Screen Inkstitute in ATL. Heard that was top notch............oh wait ;)

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 08:12:03 AM »
HA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
$500 and somewhat nearby is pretty reasonable. I've never taken one (real old school, they weren't available back then) but the first press I used for t-shirts was a Vastex, way back in '75. So, they've been around, and know their stuff. Still, be prepared to be sweating and swearing in your own shop later on, LOL, that's one of the best ways to learn.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I did that class almost 10 years ago. Doug Griger was the instructor. He is AWESOME! The vastex team was very helpful. They were not barking sales pitches either. I had been screen printing balloons for years and had a year or 2 of shirt printing under my belt. I found the class to be exceptionally help. A lot of the "why" is explained. Somehow that make "how" easier for me any.
Good luck with what ever you choose. 
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?