Author Topic: SmartWasher  (Read 14659 times)

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
SmartWasher
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »
We just ordered a SmartWasher with SW-1.  I've heard nothing but good things about it.  I will post some updates once it's in and running.  we are excited to get it going.

Also, the SmartWasher rep will be at the Long Beach ISS show in the M&R Booth.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: SmartWasher
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »
it works well.  I wouldn't say it's any better than the safety kleen chems, but disposal sure is.  I will see what sludge develops at the bottom, but the matting is supposed to catch most solids and that can go through the oven.

The fluid works well...maybe not quite as well as plastisol remover, but it's waterbased and it smells better than most.

i'll let the guys try it and see what they think.  With my brush system, it should work awesome!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »
Is this the ozzy juice?

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »
Yeah, we are running SW1 right now.

I really like the filters are before the holding tank, not after.  It should keep the fluid better longer.

It's also on wheels, so I can move it around and park it out of the way when not in use.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
This stuff is strange.  I wasn't really too impressed when it first went in, but as it sits i think it gets better and better.  I don't see us going back to the old way.

I really like the system.  I think the stuff works better than ink degradent.  The filter is supposed to get changed monthly...but it can be sent down the dryer belt and cured.  I would let it drain first so it's pretty dry, but this stuff isn't flammable anyway.

As the tank runs low, just top it off with more fluid at $90 per 5er.

The downside is you can't soak stuff in it...it doesn't work that way...as a matter of fact it discolors steel if it's left on too long.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:34:09 AM »
Brad, a couple of questions,

Why did you choose SW-1 over SW-7?

Has your opinion changed any since your last post?

Thanks!
Stan

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
it's what was recommended.  He's bringing by some SW3 to try.  I checked with him and he said that it will work better after a couple uses.

We are liking it more and more.  I will let you know what happens when we add the SW3.

They can all be mixed I guess, which is pretty nice.

Best part is it cannot hard squeegees at all.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »
it's what was recommended.  He's bringing by some SW3 to try.  I checked with him and he said that it will work better after a couple uses.

We are liking it more and more.  I will let you know what happens when we add the SW3.

Best part is it cannot hard squeegees at all.
We just received th Smartwasher and SW-1 chemicals for the LongBeach show. It will be shipped there with our equipment. They will be cleaning squeegees live in the booth so if interested have someone visiting the show stop by and try it. We do not sell it so you can buy directly from the source at the show. Just a FYI.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »
Yes, you need to use their mats to populate the microbes.  I think the solution is just an aqueous degreaser, probably is very weak on it's own.  The mat populates the solution and the right temp helps them to propagate.  I've seen vids of people dunking bikes in this stuff and it's pretty wild what they can do.   I can't find too much else on this tech aside from that it's primarily used for water remediation at super fund type sites.  Much more cost effective than pumping it all out and back in.  While I cannot find information on exactly how microbes are turning liquefied PVC into CO2 and H20 (I mean wouldn't we be disposing of all PVC in this manner then?) I still like whatever it is that's going on with this technology.

I believe they would have to be to work optimally in our shop.  The mix of microbes would have to eat PVC and acrylics to cover plasti, hsa, wb, dc.  Otherwise, whatever it doesn't eat would just sit in the tank and buildup.  Also, the little guys need to be ok with some ZFS in there, not to mention the anti-fungicides in WB inks.  What about small amounts of silicone dispersion and whatever the heck is in additives like penetrant, retarder, etc.?

It would be important that they do not eat mesh, screen protection tape, roller frame coatings/anodizations, locking strips.   Should be ok since a screen would be exposed for a pretty short amount of time. 

Probably doable but would take a lot of testing I imagine to get the right mix where they can eat all that stuff, not eat the other stuff and not eat each other.

I looked at the big model that you could lay up to a 25x36 screen in.  Looks perfect.   It would also be immensely beneficial to have all ink removal done outside the washout booth. 

Now if they can make it do all of the above and toss in some microbes that love to eat photo emulsion then bioremediative solutions might someday be the "all-in-wonder" we would all like in our dip tank. 

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
about a month and a half in now and so far it's great.

we have started rinsing things in the sink because as this stuff dries it can become sticky.  Not always, but sometimes.

We put some new squeegee rubber in some really old holders and it cleaned the old rubber out really well.

We also took the screen holders off our press and cleaned them as well.  it got rid of ink, grime, dust, and these suckers look new again.  we then coated all the exposed metal with WD-40 and made sure the micros were well lubed.

This stuff is great.  I wouldn't go back to an old parts washer.  one of my favorite features is the auto-off on the pump.  no more leaving the pump on accidentally.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
Have you de-inked screens with it yet?
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Grand

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
We bought the larger unit about 2 weeks ago. Nothing but good things to say so far. Really makes cleaning things a lot easier and they come out cleaner.
Haven't tried screens in it yet but they would fit in the larger unit.
It will be nice when tearing down the embroidery machines to clean off old grease/oil off parts also.
Just wonder how the stuff will smell in a few months and also how much sludge will be in the tank.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »
We bought the larger unit about 2 weeks ago. Nothing but good things to say so far. Really makes cleaning things a lot easier and they come out cleaner.
Haven't tried screens in it yet but they would fit in the larger unit.
It will be nice when tearing down the embroidery machines to clean off old grease/oil off parts also.
Just wonder how the stuff will smell in a few months and also how much sludge will be in the tank.
We have had ours about 9 months and there is no smell or sludge at all. Nothing but good things to say about it.
Rich Hoffman

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
about a month and a half in now and so far it's great.

we have started rinsing things in the sink because as this stuff dries it can become sticky.  Not always, but sometimes.

We put some new squeegee rubber in some really old holders and it cleaned the old rubber out really well.

We also took the screen holders off our press and cleaned them as well.  it got rid of ink, grime, dust, and these suckers look new again.  we then coated all the exposed metal with WD-40 and made sure the micros were well lubed.

This stuff is great.  I wouldn't go back to an old parts washer.  one of my favorite features is the auto-off on the pump.  no more leaving the pump on accidentally.

Can I come check it out?
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 08:28:06 AM »
Can I come check it out?

No.

Just kidding, of course.

This stuff has become my go-to for cleaning now.  It used to be Krud-Kutter, but this stuff is better..again, only when warm.