Author Topic: How to tell a Corel user to print Channel seps out of Photoshop.  (Read 3067 times)

Offline lemorris

This is not a lead-in into the bottomless abyss that is the best way to sep a something frekkin Spartan pit of cyber peeing death....this is just a question.

I have a guy who is a Corel user.  He wants to be able to print my channel seps out of Photoshop. Note...it's out of Photoshop...it's stayin in Photoshop....how does he do it?

Is it as simple as right button click on the channel, hit print, set your dot and angle and whatnot in your rip and then run?

Or do I have to teach this cat how to export dcs and all that?

Is it dependent on his rip software?

That is all.

Please don't pee.  I just wanna help build a bridge with this cat.  Thanks.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: How to tell a Corel user to print Channel seps out of Photoshop.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »
Lemorris, I love your stuff first off. 2nd does he have photoshop to print it out? That is the big question. If yes. i find if the person who made the original file have a bunch of special effects they need the same version as you or close to it. That is what I have found. I am corel user but I do my 4cp and sim process in photoshop. So I do understand.

Shane

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »
1st, - Saving Channel seps into Corel or Illustrator

1 Open the file.

2 Split channels.

3 Save As (copy) psd. At this point, you may be able to just save since it's an individual file now, but in the past, I had saved over my original file, so I avoid just saving. Haven't tried it for years. I'm skeert.

The psd's place well into corel. So do individual .tifs and .eps. (EPS will be MUCH larger) in file size. psd's work just as good and are smaller.

I've found that it's best to make sure you create registration marks inside Photoshop (outside your print are) when doing this.
Some people may try to place them all in one file (one at a time) and that can have placement in various locations. This way, (if they go that route), they will line up no matter where they place them.

Most people place them in one at a time and just print as a single color black. In channel seps, nothing (no special effects applied to channels) are lost.

2ndly, - You "should" be able to save as a DCS2 file.

1, Menu bar, FILE, (SAVE AS) DCS2.eps (Becomes a very large file) but in this case, you can choose options that enable you to place the file into Corel (all together). Same for Illustrator.

2, Choose DCS2 in the list of file format options.   Check SPOT COLORS.

3, TIFF 8 bit/Pixel

4, DCS - Single FIle (NOTE), if you choose multi file, you will get individual color sep channels) the same as I have mentioned above).
DCS, No Composite...or you can choose color composite or grayscale composite.

5, Encoding can be ASCII85 (but I've used others).

No other options need checked below.

Place or LINK file into Corel or Illy. (NOTE) When doing this in Illy, you must LINK the file when you choose PLACE. (Once you choose PLACE, then you select the LINK check box in that window that pops up for you to locate the file you want to place. Do not try to embed the files. (It will not allow you to). Thats not it's purpose.
With a DCS2 and saving with spot colors, those spot colors come into your custom color pallet and are printable (here, you can now also include vector art into your psd channel seps using the same spot colors...as many people like to do with small type and other more graphics elements.

Lastly, Newer programs will allow you to Drag AND drop PSD CHANNELL FILES into your vector program and all spot colors are intact and printable in your color list. I know the newer Illy programs do, but I'm not sure of Corel.

Enjoy your new found method to accommodate your Corel friends.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:10:29 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »
I don't use Corel, but I believe you asked how to print it from PS, which I think no longer permits you to do that, so DCS might be best IF he wants to import it to Corel. But to print from PS, I think you would split the channels as Dan says, which makes each channel a separate document/file. Then each of those could be converted to a bitmap halftone and printed, but I suspect he'll need his register marks pre-set up in each channel before converting to bitmap halftone. That's what I know anyway...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »
I don't use Corel, but I believe you asked how to print it from PS, which I think no longer permits you to do that, so DCS might be best IF he wants to import it to Corel. But to print from PS, I think you would split the channels as Dan says, which makes each channel a separate document/file. Then each of those could be converted to a bitmap halftone and printed, but I suspect he'll need his register marks pre-set up in each channel before converting to bitmap halftone. That's what I know anyway...

Steve

Yeah, I've noticed that clients aren't able to print spot colors directly from PS anymore and I'm having to split the channels. I don't print films, so I'm out of touch on that end of the stick... what happened? Are they trying to get more people to use InDesign or something for output?

You can still import a spot color channel PS file directly into Illustrator without having to convert it into a DCS file and still have the spot colors be printable, I believe.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
They are idiots the forgot us, the Screen Print group that needs it. So Separate it then back save it to cs4 and print. I have cs6 and cs4 for this reason. or if able to open in cs4 then do everything there. I try to everything in cs4 for separations if possible but... not always possible.
Shane

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »

Steve

Yeah, I've noticed that clients aren't able to print spot colors directly from PS anymore and I'm having to split the channels. I don't print films, so I'm out of touch on that end of the stick... what happened? Are they trying to get more people to use InDesign or something for output?

You can still import a spot color channel PS file directly into Illustrator without having to convert it into a DCS file and still have the spot colors be printable, I believe.

I think that's right, a .psd file with Spot Colors checked will act like a DCS in Illy, all colors imported into the Illustrator color pallet. Then set the line count, angle and shape there in Illustrator's Print dialog...

Steve

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
what happened? Are they trying to get more people to use InDesign or something for output?

Yes very much so.  If you look, the old options for (transfer function) and the (save with halftones) are still available, (FOR use with Indesign), but not for output from photoshop (Yes PS still  has those options) to choose. Thats if only dabbling in between Indesign and photoshop.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
Just importing a PSD Channel separated file into CorelDRAW will yield all the channels for output.   There is a issue with how the channels are named in photoshop as to whether or not they will transfer into Corel correctly.  ei: plates named green in PS may come into DRAW as red.  A DCS2 file should fix this yet not 100%

Splitting the channels is probably the best option and saving each plate as TIF's until I can figure out the issues with the name changes that I am seeing.
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
simply adding a digit like 1 or 2 or whatever to make it different from what might be on the Corel pallet, so they don't clash, at least that's what I do for Illy.

Steve

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
I see those same color naming issues in RIPs

Don't use any funky characters, ~(&@•*# and such. Also avoid basic naming structure like
red blue Yellow.  Make them pms numbers or to include ideentifyers like Dark red, Bright yellow etc.