Author Topic: Opinions on the Amaya XT  (Read 8779 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Opinions on the Amaya XT
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
I'm not arguing anything.

I'm suggesting that comparing a factory with 50+ heads is like comparing a place like TeeSpring and saying "do you see them buying 10 color sportsman?"  No one should buy a 10 color sportsman, because no massive factories use them.  They clearly aren't fit for anyone no matter what size shop they have.

Sometimes just because a large factory uses X machinery doesn't mean that Y machinery isn't any good or even better yet a PERFECT fit for a smaller outfit.

It is entirely possible that a Amaya would run circles around a single head Barudan.  So for the shop that is looking for just a handful of single heads it may in fact be the better choice.

You are giving recommendations based on your opinion of where he should be going with his business, not based off of the machine itself.

Topic is "Opinions on the Amaya XT" not "What would you buy if it was your shop." or anything of the sort.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »
I'm not arguing anything.

I'm suggesting that comparing a factory with 50+ heads is like comparing a place like TeeSpring and saying "do you see them buying 10 color sportsman?"  No one should buy a 10 color sportsman, because no massive factories use them.  They clearly aren't fit for anyone no matter what size shop they have.

Sometimes just because a large factory uses X machinery doesn't mean that Y machinery isn't any good or even better yet a PERFECT fit for a smaller outfit.

It is entirely possible that a Amaya would run circles around a single head Barudan.  So for the shop that is looking for just a handful of single heads it may in fact be the better choice.

You are giving recommendations based on your opinion of where he should be going with his business, not based off of the machine itself.

Topic is "Opinions on the Amaya XT" not "What would you buy if it was your shop." or anything of the sort.

The original post covers other brands as well and hints at a concern that you don't hear the Amayas mentioned much. 

There are even factories full of Diamond Backs and Sportsmans actually, I seen a order for 40 Diamondbacks while at M&R for 1 shop. But I understand what you were trying to say in your example and I think you know exactly what I am trying to say in my post's but you'd rather argue about it it seems like to me.  I also never said they aren't fit machines as you elude to, I said you dont see many using them.  Which is a true statement and that's my basic opinion of them, is not a lot of people that take embroidery super serious are using them.  Yes there are some even though your trying to suggest ive said that there aren't.  You don't see a lot of guys doing actual work with trucks using Honda Ridgeline's, even though I am sure they are just fine trucks for transportation. People use Ford, Chevy, and Dodges generally. 

Buy whatever you want, I think with the right mix of work they are fine machines. I covered some of what I believe as misconceptions with newbies to the embroidery world about sew times and what you can actually produce with a single head which IMO is as important or MORE important than brand. I have seen a lot of shops buy a single head and wish they had bought more heads especially when you consider the smaller jump in price as you add heads.

Sorry for pointing out some things I consider important lessons learned along the way that someone may or may not have considered. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 12:54:24 PM »
LOL... I'm not trying to argue anything... except for the fact that I'm not trying to argue (ironically).

I think you spend so much time fighting and trolling online that you can't recognized the difference.

All I ever said was that major factories aren't always the proper model for someone that isn't looking to outfit a major factory.  I also don't think that because major factories DON'T use Amaya's mean that they are any less of a valid machine.  I don't know that they are, but I know that you can't base the abilities of a machine solely because of how major factories don't use it.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »
Where is the popcorn??

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »
You may be right or you may be wrong Brandt but inside connections says single head machines is Barudans largest seller in the US market. Companies like LL Bean and Lands End mostly embroider monogramming, having a series of single heads allows this to be more practical. Sure a single head cost more but when you have the buying power of a huge company and are buying dozens or more of single heads you can easily negotiate good pricing.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
the monogramming and customization market is really big right now with those companies and places like 31 bags (or whatever it's called).  For them single heads are perfect...for us, not so much.  I would rather run a 4 & 2 or a 6 & 1.  It's more practical.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
LOL... I'm not trying to argue anything... except for the fact that I'm not trying to argue (ironically).

I think you spend so much time fighting and trolling online that you can't recognized the difference.

All I ever said was that major factories aren't always the proper model for someone that isn't looking to outfit a major factory.  I also don't think that because major factories DON'T use Amaya's mean that they are any less of a valid machine.  I don't know that they are, but I know that you can't base the abilities of a machine solely because of how major factories don't use it.

Interesting, I certainly didn't troll or start this drama.  You attempted to belittle me with your stupid factory picture and comment. Apparently its OK for you to make a comment but no return fire is allowed as its trolling? BTW did you total the machines in the picture? Just trying to see what you classify as a "factory". 

Also did I say that was the ONLY way to consider a machines ability (factories full of them or not)?  Certainly didn't as your eluding to now. I think its something to consider as to why there is not many, when something like that happens is for good reason generally.  But apparently not worth discussing or bringing up. 

You may be right or you may be wrong Brandt but inside connections says single head machines is Barudans largest seller in the US market. Companies like LL Bean and Lands End mostly embroider monogramming, having a series of single heads allows this to be more practical. Sure a single head cost more but when you have the buying power of a huge company and are buying dozens or more of single heads you can easily negotiate good pricing.

May or may not be true, only repeating what my guys told me when here. They they can't build 4 heads fast enough and 6's aren't far behind.  He mentioned huge surges in those size machines. In fact they were out of 4 heads BOTH times I tried to purchase machines from them so that seems to support it as well. 

the monogramming and customization market is really big right now with those companies and places like 31 bags (or whatever it's called).  For them single heads are perfect...for us, not so much.  I would rather run a 4 & 2 or a 6 & 1.  It's more practical.

Definitely models where it makes a lot of sense. 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
they are out of 6's right now...I had to reserve one on the next boat.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »
they are out of 6's right now...I had to reserve one on the next boat.

I got the last 6 when I got my first one, even had to call and reserve it with a CC so it would be there while paper work was being done.  There were 2 available when I got my 2nd 6.  They sell em quick.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »
They do not produce the multi heads on spec as much as the singles.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
You want a cheap shot at you to justify all of this?  Here it is...

Ready?

It's not all about you Brandt... don't read so far into things... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »

Ready?

It's not all about you Brandt... don't read so far into things... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I don't believe you.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »

Ready?

I don't believe you.

At least we can agree on something.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
A little late replying to my own thread, the holiday prepping got a little crazy. I hope everyone enjoyed theirs.

First, thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I find most interesting the time noted to embroider something. So would you all say the average embroidery job (hat, left chest) would take 15 minutes? Also, what do people find their average/normal job piece size to be? If a dozen pieces took 15 minutes/piece, that would take 3 hours on a single head machine. Does that seem right? Would a hat and polo/left chest both take the same time? Or would a polo be typically quicker?

It definitely seems like Tajima and Barudan are the top dogs, and no one that has used one seems to ever have anything bad to say about them.

There is a one year old, semi-local Barudan Elite XLII (single head) for sale. It comes with the hoops and Wilcom lettering software. Asking price is $12K.

For the same price I can buy two (used) Amaya XT's with their OS software.

I'm not doubting the Barudan is better. But would two I be better off with 2 heads of Amaya or 1 head of Barudan? Or are the Amaya's just really bad machines?

It seems like a 4 head Tajima or Barudan, which would be preferred, is out of my price reach.

Thoughts?

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 12:53:09 PM »
Depends on what your doing. Places like 31, Lands End, LL Bean are filled with singles. But if it's your first machine I'd by a 6 head. The cost of the two extra heads is minimal. I would stick with Tajima and Barudan at nothing less the resale is better