Author Topic: Anybody use the Cobra Ink Sysytem?  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Aces Inc

• Verified/Junior
Anybody use the Cobra Ink Sysytem?
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
I dug my 1400 out of storage and fired it up after roughly 2 years of not using it.....of course it had bands across the test prints...SOOOOO I am going to purchase a new Epson 1430 and want to add a CISS (all black) to it. I will keep the 1400 and try to use some of the remedies offer on this site to unclog/clean the heads or ports. I would love to get it back online for a back-up.

With that being said I ran across the Cobra Ink System and I wonder if anyone is using it, pros and cons or just general feedback.

Thanks ???

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Anybody use the Cobra Ink Sysytem?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »
I have one on our 1430... works great.  Follow the cheesy instructions and it'll work great for you.

The ink seems to avoid drying/banding issues well too... ours has set for over a month and a half and I just ran a quick test print and it's still doing fine.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:22:50 PM »
I use their pigment inks in their refillables
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
I use it in my 1400. It works great for me.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:56:05 AM »
Cobra is all I've used for 6+ years, but I've only used it in 2 (two) CISS setups. ..everything else has been refillable OEM sized cartridges. I use Cobra Dye Based black for my 1400 film printers, Cobra Pigment Based inks for my 1100 inkjet transfers (like Jet Pro Softstretch and Ironall Darks) and Cobra Dye Sub inks for 7110 for mugs and odds and ends. We've got 3 or 4 office Inkjets and the all have Cobra Inks. Only our office lasers and 2 multi purpose fax-copy-print Artisan 710 don't have Cobra inks.

Their website is a little hard to wade through for newbies but their service is good and I've not had any ink specific troubles. Richard is pretty helpful...when you can get him. It might take a couple of hours for a call back, depending.

I'm a big fan.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
if shopping now, look into a used EPSON 4800 or 4880. It will be just slightly more than a new 1430 and is a much better system.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
if shopping now, look into a used EPSON 4800 or 4880. It will be just slightly more than a new 1430 and is a much better system.

Pierre, can you use refill inks in these?  How do the films line-up on tight registration jobs? 

A quick look on SearchTempest shows a 4800 in Des Moines for $225 but says he won't ship. And it's 300+ miles from me.

I'm ready for something that does rolls. And 17" wide is something I miss after idling my last 3000.

Stan

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »

Pierre, can you use refill inks in these?  How do the films line-up on tight registration jobs? 

A quick look on SearchTempest shows a 4800 in Des Moines for $225 but says he won't ship. And it's 300+ miles from me.

I'm ready for something that does rolls. And 17" wide is something I miss after idling my last 3000.

Stan

Stan,

you can use refills! We fill up the other cartridges with cleaning solution (few $ per refill) and run Chromaline AccuInk for the black. It's about $100 per cartridge and we get probably about 8-10 rolls out of it.

Where are you located? There is one in South Bend, IN. Supposedly mint condition, for $400.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
Wichita, Kansas

Whenever I find something I want, it seems to be always somewhere else. Usually on "the coasts".

And Pierre, how well do your films line up?

My 1400 was great for the first 2 or 3 years. Nowadays, I get a film now and then that is tough to get all the targets to line up within reason. No likee....

I know shipping can be a problem on printers, but I've had pretty good luck over the years. But its what shipping insurance is for, I guess.

Stan

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 11:59:42 AM »
Wichita, Kansas

Whenever I find something I want, it seems to be always somewhere else. Usually on "the coasts".

And Pierre, how well do your films line up?

My 1400 was great for the first 2 or 3 years. Nowadays, I get a film now and then that is tough to get all the targets to line up within reason. No likee....

I know shipping can be a problem on printers, but I've had pretty good luck over the years. But its what shipping insurance is for, I guess.

Stan

no problem with registration. I measure the distance and put the adjustment factor into the FilmMaker and we mix the print direction on the same print to save film. So half the films might be going across the width and the other half go lengthwise without any issues. It is within 5/1000th of an inch in the worst case scenario, but 99% of the time you cant tell the difference even with a 10x loupe.

pierre

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
We use their dye-based black, but only one channel, I personally think it gives better resolution running a single channel instead of all. I bought the All Black system when we got our first 1400, but learned I could save a fortune not running all black, and certainly not buy pre-filled carts for $25.00 a pop, OUCH! We run a 3800 now, but have a 1400 for backup...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »
Had one two years back on a 1400. Their dye ink for films. No issues.
Use their refillables on both our 4880 and 4900 film printers. All black. Zero issues.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »
I use a 4880 with Accurip and have bulk cartridges filled with black in all the color slots.
Works very well.    I think using 17" rolls saves  a lot of money, besides being cheaper you can print narrower strips of film for pockets etc.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il