Author Topic: I'm new to Auto Job Breakdown and Cleanup...any shortcuts or advice?  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I've never been around automatics during setup and break down.

Anybody got a helpful video, or otherwise tips?

I've developed my own system that doesn't work too good with my Gauntlet.

I've gradually replaced all my manual squeegees with Ergo Force handles and they are effortless to tape up. Cleanup is pretty easy.

I'll get this auto press business...but I sure could use some advice right now.

Thanks!

Stan

(Edited for clarification:  Ergo Force handles are for my manual.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:57:08 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: I'm new to Auto Job Breakdown and Cleanup...any shortcuts or advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
I've never been around automatics during setup and break down.

Anybody got a helpful video, or other tips?

I've developed my own system that doesn't work too good with my Gauntlet.

I've gradually replaced all my squeegees with Ergo Force handles and they are effortless to tape up. Cleanup is pretty easy.

I'll get this...but I sure could use some advice.

Thanks!

Stan
What is an Ergo force handle for the Gauntlet? Got a photo?
Rich Hoffman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
Sorry Rich, I sure wasn't clear the first time around. I tried to fix it.

When we started we had a bunch of wooden manual squeegees. I've gradually replaced all those with Ergo Force aluminum extrusions. I love them and a lot of the reason is because I use 3" tape on them to speed up cleaning. There aren't any bumps to tape over. I'll likely keep doing that for manual printing.

I can't see taping auto squeegees and winged floodbars working though.

Stan

P.S.  I've had the occasion to call tech support a couple of times already. WOW. Why don't you teach some classes on how to set up a 21st century business!?! You've set the bar about as high for a business model as any outfit I've dealt with.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
Get or make some press carts, 3 per machine works best to hold all of your screens, inks, tools and whatnot. Wheel it around the press and remove everything and put on the cart.

Wheel that cart to the prep area where someone else empties it, cleans everything and puts it all away, then rebuilds the next cart all the while you've been at the press setting up the next job cart that was in waiting in prep and are by now ready to run or are already running as the cleaner comes over and off loads for you.

one man show.. hire someone to do your dirty work.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »

one man show.. hire someone to do your dirty work.

Reminds me of when I first started running the Gauntlet up in Daytona 3 years ago. A friend called and asked me if I had any flunkies working under me. I said "Nope, I'm the flunkie."

As for Stan, if he's working alone, get a Safety-Kleen sink to clean up your squeegies and floodbars anyway.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
Oh yeah. I'm a one man show in the screenprinting end.

I've got some part timers during our busiest season, but it's changing.

I've just now been reading about Ozzyjuice.  Tom, would Safety Kleen be a better choice?

I'm spoiled with clean squeegees and stuff. My filthy press is about to drive me nuts. It's slowly improving, but wow!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:36:30 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »
Or do like we do...

we have 'extra' sets of squeegee/floodbars for our most common needs:
base white
top white
black

the rest are whatever major colors we're working on at the moment..

we're getting a smartwasher soon, but for now, we just use a bit of beaniedoo in the washout sink to clean the squeegee/floodbars after a custom color.

if a standard color, like a red or blue going to a different shade, we just card off the squeegee, wipe it decently well with a junk shirt, and throw it in and go.

Also, after looking into partswashers for the last month or so, I'd personally go Ozzywash/Smartwasher over Safety Kleen... 

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:40:31 PM »
Oh yeah. I'm a one man show in the screenprinting end.

I've got some part timers during our busiest season, but it's changing.

I've just now been reading about Ozzyjuice.  Tom, would Safety Kleen be a better choice?

I'm spoiled with clean squeegees and stuff. My filthy press is about to drive me nuts. It's slowly improving, but wow!

Well, I don't know nuthin' about any Ozzyjuice. Where I work in Daytona things are pretty much established. I started there seasonally as a sub-contractor, so I work with what's provided.
They are sticklers for cleanliness, and at my place I do keep my screens, press and squeegies pretty damn clean. Regrettably, I'm a bit of a slob about everything else.
The Safety-Kleen sink works pretty well, though. Seems like auto squeegies, floodbars, and screens are more time-consuming to clean that those I use in my own place on a manual.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 11:12:41 AM »
We have a parts washer from Tractor Supply... we hot rodded it a bit with an oil filter relocation kit and that helps keep the solution clean.

I could easily drop in a heater mod and then add some ozzy juice to convert it over with much less expense.

I'll likely change a few things on this setup but overall it works really well.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 11:48:32 AM »
We have a parts washer from Tractor Supply... we hot rodded it a bit with an oil filter relocation kit and that helps keep the solution clean.

I could easily drop in a heater mod and then add some ozzy juice to convert it over with much less expense.

what are you doing with your cleaning fluids?  (oh wait, you said you were using something water/enzyme based right??

as far as the Ozzy juice goes, the reading I've done is that it's a combination of the fluid AND the filter mats that do the magic.  Apparently the mat that goes in there is what activates and grows the microbes that break the stuff down, so unless you take care of that part of it, you might have troubles.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 12:19:13 PM »

what are you doing with your cleaning fluids?  (oh wait, you said you were using something water/enzyme based right??

as far as the Ozzy juice goes, the reading I've done is that it's a combination of the fluid AND the filter mats that do the magic.  Apparently the mat that goes in there is what activates and grows the microbes that break the stuff down, so unless you take care of that part of it, you might have troubles.

No the enzyme stuff is just our degreaser, never tried it for ink degradiant.

Our chemical is filtered through the oil filter, so every now and then we have to change that out.  We just top off fluid when we need to.

I haven't looked really hard at the smart system but my understanding is the chemical has the enzyme (magic) in it and that it requires heat to be "alive" and useful.  I've always assumed the mat was just a filter for solids.  This thing is designed to be a parts washer in like mechanic's shops and stuff... so collecting solids is probably more important to them.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »
From the Ozzy site:

"The OzzyMat is designed to introduce our microbes (Ozzys) into the SmartWasher system, a patented process, and to help reduce excess clogging during its’ 30 days, or (1) months use. It must be changed monthly which will keep the microbe (Ozzy®) colony healthy and keep your SmartWasher system working at peak performance. Failure to change the OzzyMat monthly will reduce the efficiency, health and bioremediation capabilities of the microbes (Ozzys). This will result in the OzzyJuice® becoming more and more contaminated until the system no longer cleans."

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
Ah... if that is really the case and not marketing pheuy... I'm pretty sure you can add the mat to my setup as well.

The video I saw it was just a mat used as a first layer collection.  One of the redesigns I'm thinking about is to use the drain from the bottom and relocate the pump below it, so I can filter BEFORE the pump.  Doesn't make MUCH difference with the way we use it (no solids) but I imagine the cleaner the pump the better.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
Ah... if that is really the case and not marketing pheuy... I'm pretty sure you can add the mat to my setup as well.

The video I saw it was just a mat used as a first layer collection.  One of the redesigns I'm thinking about is to use the drain from the bottom and relocate the pump below it, so I can filter BEFORE the pump.  Doesn't make MUCH difference with the way we use it (no solids) but I imagine the cleaner the pump the better.
The system works great the way it's designed and performs better than advertised. Don't really see the need to change anything. Ours is over 8 months old and we have no sludge and have changed the pad filter twice.
Rich Hoffman

Offline islandtees

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
Are you cleaning just squeegees and floodbars or are you cleaning screens also.