Author Topic: Cleaning Coater for Efficiency  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: Cleaning Coater for Efficiency
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »
If youre coating multiple times a day you need more screens and more storage space for coated screns. I had a similar problem a few months ago and just upped my stock of screens and built a screen room finally. Fixed so many headaches...

^^^this
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
If youre coating multiple times a day you need more screens and more storage space for coated screns. I had a similar problem a few months ago and just upped my stock of screens and built a screen room finally. Fixed so many headaches...

^^^this

Hey remember that batch you told me about on DigitSmith?  I bought them all (225)... $5 bucks a pop!!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
I took a plastic spatula, rounded one corner to match the inside of the coater and simply scrape the excess out. We do not waste the time cleaning the spatula just let it dry and peel off the dried part the next use.  Coater goes into the spray booth and gets sprayed clean with the sprayer and no power.
"No man is an island"

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »

^^^this

Hey remember that batch you told me about on DigitSmith?  I bought them all (225)... $5 bucks a pop!!!

Most excellent! I might be interested in 20 of the bigger ones if you have too many.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »

^^^this

Most excellent! I might be interested in 20 of the bigger ones if you have too many.

It's hard to define "Extra".

I know, I'd definitely trade you for a nice FPU and Press Jig. ;)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Hmmm, the timing is right..... how big are the bigger ones? 36 x 24 or something? might take 30, not 20 for a full on FPU and platen jig.  ;)
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:44 PM »
Driving a hard bargain. ;)

Offline CSPGarrett

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
I do have planes for further expansion at the Maryland location this year, including another 2,500 square feet to total just shy of 5,000.

Once I get the square footage I can pull the permit to build the dark room of my dreams ;).  The city I am in has very strict and confusing zoning codes, so we are dancing a fine line as far as the buildout and such.
Real Quality Merchandising.  - Printing & Fulfillment Services.  Contract DTG & Screen Printing. www.customshirtprints.com

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 10:47:42 AM »
I have a teflon spatula I cut at a bevel to match coater angle. Scrape excess back into bucket, remove & carefully clean caps with pressure washer...lay them out to dry...dirty coater goes straight into an  old 7 gallon Tiger White bucket full of water...next use, hit it with the pressure washer...30 second cleanup...tried leaving caps on but they get "sticky" & grab while coating....they still do it over time, but happens MUCH quicker when I would leave them in the water..works great! I have had the same extrusion for 9 years & still looks new!
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »
I fought with this for years, but finally settled on this;
When coating, I have a wet paper towel at my side to take care of any drips that may happen and to wipe the edge of the coater between screens.  When finished I use my good old index finger to scrape out emulsion into the bucket. I wipe my finger with the wet towel. I then go the the reclaim booth and wash my hands with warm water and spray the coater with emulsion remover. I use the same paper towel that I have rinsed out to wipe the coater...then a quick rinse of water and it is clean as new...no dried on old emulsion.

I don't coat more than once a day...usually not more than once a week.  So this may not work for shops with higher demands.

Bill

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »
We only coat every few days so we just spatula out the scoop coater, rinse with warm water and use a 1" paintbrush to clean the corners by the caps.

I never knew it was difficult?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
I fought with this for years, but finally settled on this;
When coating, I have a wet paper towel at my side to take care of any drips that may happen and to wipe the edge of the coater between screens.  When finished I use my good old index finger to scrape out emulsion into the bucket. I wipe my finger with the wet towel. I then go the the reclaim booth and wash my hands with warm water and spray the coater with emulsion remover. I use the same paper towel that I have rinsed out to wipe the coater...then a quick rinse of water and it is clean as new...no dried on old emulsion.

I don't coat more than once a day...usually not more than once a week.  So this may not work for shops with higher demands.

Bill

depending on the emulsion you're using, oils from your hands/fingers isn't good for it, or at least that's what I've been told for years by different people.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
depending on the emulsion you're using, oils from your hands/fingers isn't good for it, or at least that's what I've been told for years by different people.

Yep, that is what we were told from day one...as well as not to pour the unused emulsion from the coater back into the container.

Although I am Italian...I don't seem to emit any damaging oils from my fingers.  ;)

Wash your hands before you start and when you are done...have not had any emulsion issues...ever.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »
How did I miss this good topic >:( I'm like Frog I use old credit card fakes we get in the mail and scrape the emulsion back in the bucket then clean it with water and I use wood on the edge every now and then.  A good coater is a big part of getting a good screen ;D

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »
We also have some 600 grit wet/dry for a quick buff once a year if the edge is not baby-butt smooth.
Wishin' I was Fishin'