Author Topic: Need suggestions on a topic to teach at the ISS show  (Read 2879 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Need suggestions on a topic to teach at the ISS show
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »
I bought an extra day or two to add any possible topics to the ISS  next year.

What would you like to see (that I could present)? Looking for thoughts, ideas and suggestions. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Need suggestions on a topic to teach at the ISS show
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
The topic of miss direction. Trying to be everything to all people with your shop offerings. Stay focused and specialize in something.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »
I've always liked the "What not to do" approach. Like the five most common blunders budding entrepreneurs make.
Helps folks feel they're not alone.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »
Here is a few.

10 ways to not let a big job cost you your business.

Profit, how to calculate it

15 jobs that I lost money on and what I learned from them.

The right press and why...

10 rules in my shop that saves our ass every day.

Why contract printing sucks...

How to hide cash from the government.

Why only the profitable guys still use statics.

Why not to be a Award winning screen printer.

10 ways you can pick up hot chicks because your a screen printer.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:56:00 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
How to print on a automatic carousel.   A course for people who know how to print manually and want to run a automatic efficiently.
If possible a practical course on a printer.    Maybe it's possible to use one of the machines on the show floor for a early morning session, from 8-10, before the show opens.
Pre registration, angles of squeegee and flood, pressures speeds.
Off contact, etc.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Onewithpez

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »
I like the idea of "buying your first automatic". Features to consider and others that are gimmicks with no real world application.

I really liked your last class at long beach. Have you been able to cover your "10 topics" within the time limit yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:14:50 PM »
I like the idea of "buying your first automatic". Features to consider and others that are gimmicks with no real world application.

I really liked your last class at long beach. Have you been able to cover your "10 topics" within the time limit yet?

lol, no. I am pitching that as a two part also this year. It makes a lot more sense. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Onewithpez

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
It was worth staying around after the class.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:22:18 AM »
thanx!

I pitched the last two classes I taught at ISS and added the following:
business 101 - basic business principles for new companies with how to set up quickbooks
business 201- SOPs, marketing, business plans, KPIs
Wordpress - learn how to create a good looking web page
alternate sources for learning - where to find information and how to evaluate if it's correct
value proposition -how to charge more and have a happier customer
work flow in a shop- who, how and what should be going on to produce the order
presentation skills - how to present at seminars, sales meetings and training sessions.

there might have been more, but I can't remember now. . .

pierre

Offline insane987

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 12:35:58 PM »
How about a class on business disasters and how to handle them. Either personal or weather/mother nature related. Both me and Dave had terrible floods but Mark Coudray had a different personal problem. Something I rarely thought about but changed my life completely

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
How about a class on business disasters and how to handle them. Either personal or weather/mother nature related. Both me and Dave had terrible floods but Mark Coudray had a different personal problem. Something I rarely thought about but changed my life completely

Business Continuation and/or disaster recovery planning is something every business should have a WRITTEN PLAN to deal with.

The plan should list at the very least who will buy your stuff at the 5-10 cents on the dollar auction you will be having if you have not planned for your own recovery.

If you don't believe me ask Dave at Bimm Ridder to share the flood video, I almost puked when I first saw it.

Regarding business continuation planning remember, WRITE IT DOWN OR IT"S NOT REAL, explain it to your business team and make sure your instructions are understood.

Revise it at least annually and store the damn thing off site.

~Kitson

Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Ron Pierson

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
Good one Kitson. Does a living trust (with all that stuff included) qualify in case of your demise? Isn't a natural disaster (flood) covered by insurance or is that considered "act of God"? We are in Las Vegas - not much flooding here  - we are on high ground. I can't see any natural disaster other than overheat in the summer that would melt a building. Lightning strikes (Act of God), torrid rainfall - not happening here... I just don't know what to consider for "recovery". I fully agree with the flood thing - saw the video - terrible!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »
A few quick thoughts, but don't want to steal thread. First, don't forget about a fire. Second, insurance companies LOVE to find ways NOT to pay. Third, it doesn't matter what the "disaster" is, you need a plan to continue business. Don't be freakin' idiots like we were, and not have a good plan in place BEFORE it happens. Sorry Pierre. Back to you.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA