Author Topic: weird customers this week  (Read 3189 times)

Offline tonyt79

weird customers this week
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
I have been contacted twice this week from people wanting wholesale or broker pricing. One has told me that she is a logo designer and would be ordering business shirts for companies. Says she already has a set up with someone but I am just down the road from her. The other company is supposedly waiving screen fees and is printing shirts for $4.00 to 6.00 each. That is complete, shirt included. Normally getting 2 color front and back. This makes no sense to me but I figured if the quantities are there then maybe we could work something out. Today she sends me this artwork for 20-24 shirts. Not only is there no way this is a company shirt but i would think 4 color process would be the best option to print it. I hate to tell someone to take a hike right off the bat but I think it may need to happen.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Re: weird customers this week
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »
So she's a Disney merchandising rep?  ;D
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
I would ignore the hell out of this job.  That image is protected and I doubt you will make any money off it if she is expecting $4-6 shirts.  You will likely end up spending hours going back and forth on pricing and what not.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
Run!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »
What Tpep said x2
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
I would tell her that you would love to work with Disney (or whoever holds the Star Wars license) and that you are confirming the licensing with Disney right now! Obviously you have heard of them putting small companies out of business and you want to confirm that all the brand guidelines are met for this artwork just to be on the safe side. (BTW, you can not believe how quickly they are moving on this, they just needed her info and will get back to you tonight)

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
You should reply to them and let them know that you think someone else is using "their" artwork with out their permission.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
Is it low res too? That's always a dead giveaway that they just took it off a website.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 03:45:08 PM »
Sounds hinky, plus one...run!!! Re; color count, dependant on shirt color...1 (or 2) Gray(s) & White on a Black Tee would probably reproduce it pretty closely
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
I told her I could not print it. And I told if I could I would not be doing them for $4-6 each. Havent heard back from her since.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
We've gotten to the point that when customers like this come in, we don't care at all what they've been paying, after all, what could that possibly have to do with us? We want our price, or it's just not worth it. We are very reasonable I'm often told, and busy enough to not have to beg.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
We just had a customer whom own's a embroidery shop ask us to match or try to beat a lowball price and we are buying all the shirts and caps, had to tell them no.  I figured if I did it once I would always have to battle with them on price if they could beat me down once.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
The story that many of us have heard at some point' "My last guy was way cheaper" Why aren't you using him? "Oh, he went out of business"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
A year or so ago I became unwavering in my pricing. After giving some big reductions one year to please existing customers to have them leave the next over a nickel I say leave now and save me the headache.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:19:31 PM »
Speaking of weird customers.

I just got another banner to print for a guy... this one is "Pants up, Don't loot!"

Last one was (with some shirts as well):

"Breathe easy,
obey the law!"

He then came in to pay for them and asked if he paid cash could he avoid the taxes.

*sigh*