Author Topic: Epson 4800 Film Doesn't Line Up  (Read 5133 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Epson 4800 Film Doesn't Line Up
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
The printer has 7,386 feet printed

that is not a lot. If I am not mistaken the printer is rated for something like 10k prints per month.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
I have run the Accurip print length test and have adjusted accordingly in Accurip. This is making another noticeable difference, so far. It is a bit weird... the first plate is a hair off the other three. The last 3 were dead on each other.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 01:10:25 PM »
I have run the Accurip print length test and have adjusted accordingly in Accurip. This is making another noticeable difference, so far. It is a bit weird... the first plate is a hair off the other three. The last 3 were dead on each other.

It is good to see AR offering that as it was not available when I tested it. It is one of the most important features in the RIP! Anybody reading this should set it up even if they don't think it's needed.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »
Did you try warming the machine prior to printing?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »

It is good to see AR offering that as it was not available when I tested it. It is one of the most important features in the RIP! Anybody reading this should set it up even if they don't think it's needed.

pierre

We are learning this the hard way.

What's working so far...

1) Adjust print length: 29
2) Turn OFF bi-directional printing

I currently have all "standard" settings on the printer itself. It's not perfect but it's a lot closer. I think we are almost there!

I have a large 8 color job and a shorter 4 color job I need to redo film on... we'll see how that goes.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
Did you try warming the machine prior to printing?

It doesn't seem matter. I have been spitting out film for the last 3 hours and if I go back to my original settings I go back to being way off.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 06:36:21 PM »
Epson printers are prone to skipping if they encounter areas where there is no ink going down. To prevent this you will have to draw a box around the outside of the image area and print this on each film. That way there is ink going down over the whole length of the film. There is a function for that in Wasatch SoftRip called extend crop marks to full length.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 06:27:54 AM »
Epson printers are prone to skipping if they encounter areas where there is no ink going down. To prevent this you will have to draw a box around the outside of the image area and print this on each film. That way there is ink going down over the whole length of the film. There is a function for that in Wasatch SoftRip called extend crop marks to full length.

The box around the design looks to be the final piece of the puzzle. Thanks for that!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »
I was especially intrigued by that as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »

The box around the design looks to be the final piece of the puzzle. Thanks for that!

that is interesting. To the best of my knowledge, AR uses the standard drivers for the printer while the FM uses it's proprietary drivers and bypasses Windows to access the printer port. Could the issue be related the windows driver? Does Wasatch use the Windows drivers or do they have their own?

Would you be willing to install a trial FM and see if the problem is still there?

pierre

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 12:02:04 PM »
I'm on the edge of my seat on this one.

I just confirmed my recent Craigslist purchase of a 4800 that's been sitting a year. Shipped yesterday.  I'd hate to have a problem with feeding, 'cause I KNOW I'm probably going to have to baby the printheads to get them all happied up. It was already a 650 gamble, with shipping.

(ANY BODY SHIPPED A LARGISH PRINTER LATELY VIA UPS???? YIKES!!!!)

Stan

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »
I'm on the edge of my seat on this one.

I just confirmed my recent Craigslist purchase of a 4800 that's been sitting a year. Shipped yesterday.  I'd hate to have a problem with feeding, 'cause I KNOW I'm probably going to have to baby the printheads to get them all happied up. It was already a 650 gamble, with shipping.

(ANY BODY SHIPPED A LARGISH PRINTER LATELY VIA UPS???? YIKES!!!!)

Stan

we have two and no problems what so ever. . .

pierre

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
Your recommendation played a big part as to why I started hunting one.

That and I'm tired of piecing together tiles when I need oversized films that my 1400 can't do in one fell swoop.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
Your recommendation played a big part as to why I started hunting one.

That and I'm tired of piecing together tiles when I need oversized films that my 1400 can't do in one fell swoop.

cool! Good luck with it and if you end up needing parts I have a source. Just let me know.

pierre

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »
One question no one asked was what program we were printing from. We use Photoshop, always have, and it never dawn on us that PS could be the problem. After speaking to another printer today we tried printing from Illustrator.

No box around the image, just placed the DCS 2 file in Illy and hit print. 100% spot on... 4 colors.

So, could the issue be related directly to PS?