Author Topic: My turn for a scam  (Read 1967 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
My turn for a scam
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:43 AM »
This is the e-mail I just got. Sending in it's entirety in case anyone wants to grab it before I get to it :o

Hello my name is Kenneth Smith....Please i will like to know if you do sell some plain t shirts from the brand below and email me with the price per shirt,i don't want anything printed on them,

Brand  Gildan & Hanes

All Size:Adult small

Color: White Tees
Quantities:1500

Texture:50/50

waiting for your reply with the total and let me know the form of payment you do accept

price for them and Also do you ship
through the U.S.A...

phone number: 3012915867
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: My turn for a scam
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »
Lets all call and put # on speed dial :)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »
Yesterday I got an email asking for a quote for 2000 2GB USB drives.
When I asked where to be shipped (Thinking it was a scam) I got a reply with an address of the trailer park in Washington state.
Sure, why not :)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »
I have a good friend named Ken Smith. I guess I'm hurt he wouldn't get his shirts from me.... ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
Yesterday I got an email asking for a quote for 2000 2GB USB drives.
When I asked where to be shipped (Thinking it was a scam) I got a reply with an address of the trailer park in Washington state.
Sure, why not :)

Trailer park needs them gigamegs son.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »
I got an email from a guy who wanted 700 shirts with "Happy 8th Birthday Kenny" printed on them. I thought to myself that's one hell of a birthday party, especially for an eight year old kid...
Raster to vector conversion

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
I got an email from a guy who wanted 700 shirts with "Happy 8th Birthday Kenny" printed on them. I thought to myself that's one hell of a birthday party, especially for an eight year old kid...
I got contacted two years ago for the same thing.  I am sure Kenny has to be older now.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »
I thought they killed Kenny

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »
We get them too. They are always headed off at the pass by my wife or the office help, but I fear they might get more clever and less obvious.

Color me dull, but how does this scam actually play out, for those who get stung??

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
how does this scam actually play out, for those who get stung??
The way I understand it, the printer receives a credit card payment that's quite a bit higher than the agreed upon amount for the job, along with an explanation from the "customer" that the reason for the extra is that he wanted to be sure he included enough for unforeseen expenses, since he's in a foreign country and doesn't want any delays, blah, blah, blah. He tells the screen printer to keep all the money he is entitled to, including some extra for the convenience, and wire the remainder back to him by Western Union.

The printer wires the money (Western Union is non refundable.) and later the credit card turns out to be a fraud.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline CSPGarrett

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »
Got a new one today!  Watch out for a person calling to see if you do neon colors.  He sends a spam email to you and tries to get information from you. I caught him since I told him we don't give certain information out over the phone and he said he would email us his order.  The email contains a file you shouldn't open, I am assuming he is crawling one of the directories of print shops.

He then called an hour later to my California company asking the EXACT same thing, and when I answered the line he couldn't figure out how I answered both companies and hung up quick.
Real Quality Merchandising.  - Printing & Fulfillment Services.  Contract DTG & Screen Printing. www.customshirtprints.com