Author Topic: Down to Vastex and M&R  (Read 7082 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Down to Vastex and M&R
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
Dual gate registration is what we loved about it!

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »
We have a Kruzer.  While M&R does call it "entry level", it far exceeds most presses out there in the same category.  We have a Sidewinder also and there are definite differences there, but for the price, a Kruzer is an excellent option.  I'm not familiar enough with Vastex to comment on them.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »
I wish the Kruzer wasn't advertised as "entry level".  It is much more robust and feature full than every other "entry level" press on the market.  I would say the Vastex is definitely a great machine and I think you will be happy with either option.

That said, here is why I went with a Kruzer:
-Pallets: the Vastex pallets sit high above the arm, which means you cannot fit smaller width shirts on wider pallets, limiting print area.  The quick release, leveling system, and availability of options when it comes to pallet size/shape are also top notch with the Kruzer.
-Side Clamps: these are GREAT.  I could expand on why, but basically they are superior to a back clamp in every way I can think of.  You can get side clamps for the Vastex, but you start getting into the price range of presses like the sidewinder when you add them.
-Price:  The only downsides I saw to the Kruzer were 4 stations instead of 6 and no air locks for the screen clamp.  Getting another press with those two features would more than double the price, and for comparable 6/4 presses without air locks, you're still looking at a hefty jump in price unless you can find a great deal on the used market.

Compatibility with a future auto also played a roll for me, even though I will likely remain a manual printer for the foreseeable future.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »
Don't underestimate platen compatibility in the future...

we bought a few different sets of platens for our kruzer (sleeve, leg, etc)

we're printing a big order of sleeve prints next week, and instead of having to buy 12 new sleeve platens, we only need to buy 8 to fill out the auto... when we do youth prints or other smallish prints on the kruzer, we use some of the youth platens from the auto on it... very nice to not have to buy different platens that aren't compatible...

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
Thank you everyone!! I think I am pulling the trigger on the Vastex.

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
Well... I am an all Vastex shop a few weeks from now! really excited to step up to some real printing equipment. Thanks to you all for the advice and opinions.

Christmas in February!

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »
Well... I am an all Vastex shop a few weeks from now! really excited to step up to some real printing equipment. Thanks to you all for the advice and opinions.

Christmas in February!

Congrats man, that's a great press.  Be sure to post some pics when you get it..  8)
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
Vas-tastic!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 05:01:36 PM »

Christmas in February!

That thing's a piece of crap.  Good luck with it.

:)  Just kidding.  Congrats on stepping your game up.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:11:09 PM »

Christmas in February!

I started on a Vastex 4 color in '75, very different than what they make today. It was a little clunky, but did good work. I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice, at least for a little while; as you grow, you'll go through changes, you might even end up with an auto...

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »

Christmas in February!

LOL! I was all "Whaaaaa?!! Oh no..." I am excited. You should have seen what I have been printing on...

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »
Woohoo!! Got my shipping notice! Equipment should hit the floor on Feb 6!

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
Woohoo!! Got my shipping notice! Equipment should hit the floor on Feb 6!

Great machines and an awesome staff of people at Vastex.  You will love it.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:53 AM »
we bought all Vastex equipment a la carte about 6 years ago, V2000 6/6. The stuff is built like a brick shirthouse, you will get a little tired if spinnin' that thing after a few hundred shirts a day but you will never wear it out, bend it break it or regret your choice .

If you are handy the rectangular arms are great platforms for any custom pallets you care to make.

The only real issue we had with the press was the weak method of securing the pallets to the arms. The two heavy duty hand bolts were a PITA when it came to loading shirts as we found they often caught the shirt when loading especially on smaller sizes.

Also the pallets did not securely hold to the print arms, they would slip a little when you spun the press because the darn thing had so much inertia to over come. We solved this (thanks to a tip from Dot Tone Dan) by adding some non-slip safety tape to the top of the arms and bottom of pallet brackets. We also replaced the grabby hand screws with regular  bolts and big washers.

Since then Vastex re-designed the attachment method so you should be good to go.

One thing to watch for is once in a great while after you spin that thing a few thousand times the center bolt on the very top of he press that loads the shaft to the bearings will back out a little . When this happens the machine can get a little loose. A quick half turn to the bolt solves this issue. We keep a wrench on top of the press all the time. Loc-tite would solve this issue but we just twist the bolt a couple times a year.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.