Author Topic: Gildan just bought Comfort Colors  (Read 7429 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Gildan just bought Comfort Colors
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »
Not sure if I am even allowed to post in this section, but I didn't see anyone else posting this bit of news.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Management+Comments/Gildan+Activewear+%28GIL+to+Acquire+Comfort+Colors+for+$100M/10229198.html

I personally hate Comfort Colors, but I know the frats and a few other niches love them.  I wonder if this will mean they aren't constantly out of stock when you place orders...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Gildan just bought Comfort Colors
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »

I personally hate Comfort Colors, but I know the frats and a few other niches love them.  I wonder if this will mean they aren't constantly out of stock when you place orders...

Or if now, Comfort Colors will have more oil stains
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »
Gildan is on the tear. Anvil, Buffalo, Comfort Colors. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »
Gildan is on the tear. Anvil, Buffalo, Comfort Colors. . .

pierre

Like Staples buying Office Depot who bought Office Max

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
Gildan had a college bowl game..they have made it!

Offline Griffin

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
With the recent issues I have had with Gildan i'm not sure that this is a good thing. I have seen an increasing number of oil spots and small holes in their shirts lately.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 02:40:47 PM »
With the recent issues I have had with Gildan i'm not sure that this is a good thing. I have seen an increasing number of oil spots and small holes in their shirts lately.

Yep, a few years back, no one felt that Mercedes boosted the reputation and cachet of Chrysler, but rather that Chrysler would drag them down.

That said, I use a lot of Gildan. Have since they were still made in Canada.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
Gildan had a college bowl game..they have made it!

Yep, saw that...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »

Yeah...how the hell do they get so many stains? Are the workers washing their hands in mineral spirits or something?

I've had a lot more lately where the neck seems off center also.

Offline Griffin

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »
I actually called my distributor a few weeks back to replace an order of about 400 pieces of G2000 in Royal. It seemed like every other shirt I loaded onto press had a stain on it or had offset openings. According to the distributor they have had numerous complaints recently. I have always printed mostly Gildan but  due to recent events Im thinking about switching over to hanes.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »

If Gildan's quality gets any worse, they will be as bad as American Apparel.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
When someone replied to a post I made about ink on my jeans & shirts they suggested this stuff, I think it was Ripcord
http://www.spraywayinc.com/content/c-60-solvent-degreaser16-oz
my mind immediately snapped to the GILDAN OIL STAINS                I see more and more of too ;)
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
When someone replied to a post I made about ink on my jeans & shirts they suggested this stuff, I think it was Ripcord
http://www.spraywayinc.com/content/c-60-solvent-degreaser16-oz
my mind immediately snapped to the GILDAN OIL STAINS                I see more and more of too ;)
mooseman

Next press release by Gildan will be that they've bought Sprayway, Inc. That way they'll get you coming and going . . .
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
hahahahahaha!

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »
Gildan still suffers from stains?  Can't say that I'm surprised.  I've been out of printing for 5 years, probably closer to 6 and I actually miss it, yes...truth stranger than fiction!  LOL!

Anyhow, during the last decade or so of production printing I bought tens of thousands of Gildan G2000 navy and black shirts annually (much more navy than black) and was always amazed at the percentage of stained shirts.  Just how is that possible I always thought to myself?

Got away with most of them since they were dark and most had enormous graphics printed on them.  I guess some things never change?  The stains on other colors I used less often were a problem and wound up eating god knows how many printed shirts that we didn't notice prior.  The charcoal gray or whatever they call it now was a nightmare.  We'd print 500 pieces on the backs, then when running the fronts a ton were stained.

I think buying Comfort Colors is a good move for them.  I own some Gildan stock bought back during the big crash of 2008 into 2009.  Not a load of it, although it was just so cheap at the time I figured what the heck.  The world was ending back then and I thought it just might survive.  Still have some.

Hope everyone here is doing well!
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com