Author Topic: Gildan just bought Comfort Colors  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Gildan just bought Comfort Colors
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 07:33:49 PM »
Gildan still suffers from stains?  Can't say that I'm surprised.  I've been out of printing for 5 years, probably closer to 6 and I actually miss it, yes...truth stranger than fiction!  LOL!

Anyhow, during the last decade or so of production printing I bought tens of thousands of Gildan G2000 navy and black shirts annually (much more navy than black) and was always amazed at the percentage of stained shirts.  Just how is that possible I always thought to myself?

Got away with most of them since they were dark and most had enormous graphics printed on them.  I guess some things never change?  The stains on other colors I used less often were a problem and wound up eating god knows how many printed shirts that we didn't notice prior.  The charcoal gray or whatever they call it now was a nightmare.  We'd print 500 pieces on the backs, then when running the fronts a ton were stained.

I think buying Comfort Colors is a good move for them.  I own some Gildan stock bought back during the big crash of 2008 into 2009.  Not a load of it, although it was just so cheap at the time I figured what the heck.  The world was ending back then and I thought it just might survive.  Still have some.

Hope everyone here is doing well!

Glad to see you stopping by Steve.
You actually cross my mind whenever I fire up one of my old stereo rigs.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
Gildan still suffers from stains?  Can't say that I'm surprised.  I've been out of printing for 5 years, probably closer to 6 and I actually miss it, yes...truth stranger than fiction!  LOL!

Anyhow, during the last decade or so of production printing I bought tens of thousands of Gildan G2000 navy and black shirts annually (much more navy than black) and was always amazed at the percentage of stained shirts.  Just how is that possible I always thought to myself?

Got away with most of them since they were dark and most had enormous graphics printed on them.  I guess some things never change?  The stains on other colors I used less often were a problem and wound up eating god knows how many printed shirts that we didn't notice prior.  The charcoal gray or whatever they call it now was a nightmare.  We'd print 500 pieces on the backs, then when running the fronts a ton were stained.

I think buying Comfort Colors is a good move for them.  I own some Gildan stock bought back during the big crash of 2008 into 2009.  Not a load of it, although it was just so cheap at the time I figured what the heck.  The world was ending back then and I thought it just might survive.  Still have some.

Hope everyone here is doing well!

Nice to see you here.  I think sooner or later, you will see Gildan getting into having print shops actually taking print orders away from you printers out there and making $ on better margins on the shirt profit  and the printing like Hanes does right now. They are following in their foot prints after all. At least your stocks will go up. lol.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
Dan are you talking shops like New Buffalo shirt Company because I'm pretty sure Gildan owns them.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »
Well, now that you mention that, Gildan did buy out New Buffalo. I forgot about that so, yea, they already have print shops. ::)   Hanes has had a few in Honduras for years also so Gildan just made a move to keep themselves in competition with Hanes. They both of course go after so called larger orders, but are doing the smaller orders that we all can do as well. Orders like 500 per design, 2 times a month. That can be done by the smaller shops for the same print cost...but, the garment manufacture can drop it 50 cents to a dollar and still make more profit than we can.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850