Author Topic: Exactly what do these license stipulations mean?  (Read 2329 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Exactly what do these license stipulations mean?
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:35:12 AM »
I have a custy interested in having me print a shirt with a design from this outfit, Graphic Leftovers.
She's more than willing to pay, but is a little confused as to which license she needs.

It boils down to the difference between a standard license for $6 and an extended for $45, with the caveat being "for resale"
Obviously, if I buy it and use it, and get money for shirts, it fits that category, but is it classified for resale if she purchases art and submits it to me as part of a design for shirts for her group?

May be a moot point as I have something in mind to show her, but amphibial minds still want to know. How do you see this?

We won't even go into that oft-traveled dark hole of font licenses "for personal use"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Exactly what do these license stipulations mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »
some of the stock art houses will let you do t-shirts up to a limited amount, but if it's huge, they want more. You might have her call and ask, they'll be glad to explain their policy I'll bet...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
This one clearly states "up to 10,000 pieces" Our quandary is if she buys the art for her group's 80 shirts, are they still considered resale the same as if I bought the art.

They also specifically list T-Shirts as a suggested example of needing the extended licence, but once again, the issue of "resale" comes into play.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »
resale in this case is targeting ppl that are bundling the art and reselling it. Your standard license covers your usage rights here (As long as she is not using the art for "as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo".

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »
Actually, I just went back and read it again, and I now think that she does need to pay the higher "Merchandise" licence as it doesn't just say "resale" like I first thought, but rather "resale or distribution"

Hey, I'm okay with her paying $45 (and whatever more I charge if it isn't smooth sailing as I sometimes experience with stock art)
In fact, my $25 design may even look more attractive now, LOL!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:12:05 PM by Frog »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
Actually, I just went back and read it again, and I now think that she does need to pay the higher "Merchandise" licence as it doesn't just say "resale" like I first thought, but rather "resale or distribution"

Hey, I'm okay with her paying $45 (and whatever more I charge if it isn't smooth sailing as I sometimes experience with stock art)
In fact, my $25 design may even look more attractive now, LOL!

you are right, I totally missed that!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »
Update.
My customer contacted them and they told her
"Hi, since you are not reselling the shirts for profit, the standard license is acceptable. Thanks"

So, apparently this company considers when an end user is making the purchase, and there is no profit being made, they relax their "distribution" condition.