Author Topic: DC ubase with Matsui? need formula  (Read 1638 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
DC ubase with Matsui? need formula
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
We normally use the CCI stuff, but due to the cold weather I did not order it (thinking it would freez and cause problems, but was told otherwise by CCI rep). I will have to pick up some Matsui that's available at the local distributor and make it work. Since they offer different bases I am not sure what to use for an underbase. We would normally mix 20% white with 80% base.
What do we do with Matsui?
What about the additives? Do we need those?

any help would be appreciated, the job has to go on the press in few hours and I still have to run to the supplier. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: DC ubase with Matsui? need formula
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
You could reach out to Matsui rep Jessie Martinez for advice, 323 six seven nine 8179.
Dale Hoyal

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
When I do it, it is the 80/20 mix you mentioned, 4% activator premixed with water, 5%printgen and depending on the weather I might add some water.  I drill mix for UB to make absolutely sure it is evenly distributed etc.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:34 AM »
When I do it, it is the 80/20 mix you mentioned, 4% activator premixed with water, 5%printgen and depending on the weather I might add some water.  I drill mix for UB to make absolutely sure it is evenly distributed etc.

cool, which base and white are you using? regular or HM?

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »
I treat it the same as CCI base. I have used Matsui's bright discharge base, 5-6% activator, 20% cci white DC or matsui white DC. If you get the BRIGHT discharge clear by matsui, you just might notice it's a little brighter than the same CCI combo.

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
The Matsui Brite Discharge Base mixed with the their discharge whites is a good way to go.  They have two white inks for discharge; HM White (High Mesh White formally known as DSFP White), and Brite White which is used for Lower mesh counts.  I have quite a few shops that mix 70/30 or 80/20 depending on what they are trying to achieve.  The Brite base will make it clear better, soak into the fabric, and also help prevent drying.  If you are still worried about drying you can pick up some print gen retarder to slow the drying even more, normally you only add about 1-3% to weight of the ink, it evaporates out when curing.

When activating you may want to start around 6% - 8% to weight, but the more you add the brighter it will be. 

Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »
Not even sure what HM is...so I would assume regular brite dc base and brite dc white.  Is HM a relabeling of something?  I know they used to have something like a DSFP white, but I didn't use it.  It was significantly less brite.

I can't really find any info using Google on what the benefit/differences would be between brite and HM...anyone know?

edit: good to know Kevin!  I will just say that for UB I would use lower % of activator as it doesn't need to have the pop of a solid DC white, and the print will be better based on my experience.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:29:33 AM by mimosatexas »

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »
HM White is the same product as DSFP.  Matsui renamed it to help make it more user friendly

HM White - for high mesh  (used to be called DSFP)
Bright White - Low mesh 

HM is runny white ink.

Brite White is like a really soft marshmallow cream. 
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »
The bright discharge base is nice and BRIGHT! That was our go to for a while.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com