Author Topic: Ink Mixing (what to get, why to get it?)  (Read 1629 times)

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
Ink Mixing (what to get, why to get it?)
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »
Hey guys, we're thinking about getting an ink mixing system. Anyone care to chime in with some suggestions/opinions on what to get and why? We need to be able to make pantone matches on our own.

I downloaded the IMS 3 beta program, and that sure is cool, but I have no clue if it's what we need. We do have quite a few wilflex inks we use regularly.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Ink Mixing (what to get, why to get it?)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
Here's my vote for the Wilflex system!

Helping a friend convert his entire ink department over to a formula based system so that anyone can put a cup on the scale and make ink.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
One thing that I'll interject here is pigment/base systems vs. complete ink systems.

With my Union Mixo complete ink system, it's often tricky, even with a good scale, to mix small amounts of some formulas.
With pigments, some components can become infetesimally small when mixing small amounts. (It also used to be tough buying less than a gallon, but I think that may have changed)

So, mixing quarts and larger, probably no problem with a pigment system.
Mixing pints and 1/2 cups like I do, good luck!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:21:11 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Flash Ink

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:17:24 PM »
We really like the Rutland M3 system. You don't have to down load any software, just go to their website, log in and get your formula. They are constantly tweaking the formulas that are provided on their web based mixing system so you know that they are accurate.

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:02:25 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the input! I'm still going over the details here as well as trying to prepare the shop for the delivery of the new equipment we are getting - a new auto and a new manual. We currently use a lot of wilflex epic colors and hybrid one stroke ink colors.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
If you use a lot of Epic premix colors, the IMS system could save you on those in the long haul.  All the systems are probably just fine to use so I would go with your preferred ink brand.  We use the Wilflex Epic PC system here.