Author Topic: LIMITED Access on LAN port after updating to Win 8.1  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
LIMITED Access on LAN port after updating to Win 8.1
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »
Did someone have this issue?
My computer updated from Windows 8 to 8.1 and since then, I have issue with connectivity.
Finally last weekend my ethernet connection to my router showed up as "Limited" and I can not send anything from Flexi to my printer.

I searched online for solutions but I could not find anything that worked. Updated all the drivers, restarted few times, still saying the same thing.

If you had the same issue and was able to fix it, please let me know.

Thanks

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: LIMITED Access on LAN port after updating to Win 8.1
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
This may not be the issue but I wonder if updating reset your firewall and that's blocking some access.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »
Limited Access USUALLY means that you have an IP address but you can't get out to the internet.

But I'm not sure that would be effecting your ability to send jobs to your printer as that should be internal.

open up a command prompt (maybe run as admin as some things need elevated privileges), ping and ipconfig will be your friend here.  Maybe even some tracert if things seem like they should be working but aren't.

Check your printer's port, does it have the port defined by a netbios name or is it the IP address?  Sometimes using IP address is the best way even though that can change (to fix that, set up static IP addresses, out of your DHCP scope, to things like printers and other devices like that).

If any of this went over your head just let me know what and we will break it down further.

Oh, and as ShirtShack said, check with that firewall, it is also likely a culprit.  I turn off my firewall for "work" and "private" networks.  You have a more effective firewall in your router anyway and the windows firewall seems to just cause more problems then it will ever solve.  I only ever really use it when I'm on a public network (hotel or something).

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
What is weird by all this, I have my internet via wi-fi on that laptop. As soon as I plug in my ethernet cable in that port, I do not get any internet connection through my wi-fi. All of my browsers say that they can not connect to internet and my wi-fi connection says it is connected.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »
We bought a new 8.1 and had to replace a printer that was only a year old if that much because 8.1 would not work with it.  also had the same problem with wifi, we ended up having our IT guy come out and he did something...8.1 is a pain in the butt.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:46:49 PM »
What is weird by all this, I have my internet via wi-fi on that laptop. As soon as I plug in my ethernet cable in that port, I do not get any internet connection through my wi-fi. All of my browsers say that they can not connect to internet and my wi-fi connection says it is connected.

That's due to metrics... Your computer thinks the wired network is a shorter route so it directs everything there, regardless if it can get through or not.

I wouldn't run both at the same time... If you are using the wired only for printing or something, then it's best to not give that card a gateway.  Then it won't route traffic through it.

You can see this stuff through route -print or route print or something like that.  I'm on an ipad right now so I can't double check.  Lowest metric gets the traffic for that destination.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:52 AM »
What IP are you getting on the wired connection when it's connected? It could be pulling a 169.254.x.x range which will not work on the internet.  This usually means it didn't get a IP from the DHCP server (your router). Your wired network port may need a new driver. I would start by ensuring you have the most current driver for it. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »
I updated all the drivers and it still did not work.
I called Flexi support yesterday afternoon and it seems that they got it to work again. I was able to send jobs to my HP printer.

Thanks guys

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »
What IP are you getting on the wired connection when it's connected? It could be pulling a 169.254.x.x range which will not work on the internet.  This usually means it didn't get a IP from the DHCP server (your router). Your wired network port may need a new driver. I would start by ensuring you have the most current driver for it.

Good thoughts Brandt, but that wouldn't have a gateway, so it shouldn't route all the traffic through it.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 10:45:12 AM »

Good thoughts Brandt, but that wouldn't have a gateway, so it shouldn't route all the traffic through it.

It shouldn't but this is a man made product we are talking about here haha.   
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »
"Our music is sampled, totally fake
It's done by machines 'cause they don't make mistakes"

KMFDM -Sucks